Cocaine Production and Trafficking: What do we know?
AbstractThe main purpose of this chapter is to summarize the information currently available oncocaine production and trafficking. The chapter starts by describing the available dataon cocaine production and trade, the collection methodologies, (if available) used bydifferent sources, the main biases in the data, and the accuracy of different data sources.Next, the chapter states some of the key empirical questions and hypotheses regardingcocaine production and trade and takes a first look at how well the data matches thesehypotheses. Also, the chapter states some of the main puzzles in the cocaine market andstudies some of the possible explanations. These puzzles and empirical questions shouldguide future research into our understanding of the key determinants of illicit drugproduction and trafficking. Finally, the chapter studies the different policies thatproducer countries have adopted to fight against cocaine production and the roleconsumer countries play in the implementation of anti-drug policies.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA in its series BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA with number 003955.
Date of creation: 26 Jun 2007
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Cocaine; Narcotraffic; War on Drugs.;
Other versions of this item:
- Daniel Mejía & Carlos Esteban Posada, . "Cocaine Production and Trafficking: What do we know?," Borradores de Economia 444, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Mejia, Daniel & Posada, Carlos Esteban, 2008. "Cocaine production and trafficking : what do we know ?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4618, The World Bank.
- K42 - Law and Economics - - Legal Procedure, the Legal System, and Illegal Behavior - - - Illegal Behavior and the Enforcement of Law
- C81 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Data Collection and Data Estimation Methodology; Computer Programs - - - Methodology for Collecting, Estimating, and Organizing Microeconomic Data; Data Access
- H56 - Public Economics - - National Government Expenditures and Related Policies - - - National Security and War
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-09-09 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jeff DeSimone & Matthew C. Farrelly, .
"Price and Enforcement Effects on Cocaine and Marijuana Demand,"
Working Papers, East Carolina University, Department of Economics
0101, East Carolina University, Department of Economics.
- Jeff DeSimone & Matthew C. Farrelly, 2003. "Price and Enforcement Effects on Cocaine and Marijuana Demand," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, Western Economic Association International, vol. 41(1), pages 98-115, January.
- Gary S. Becker & Kevin M. Murphy, 1986.
"A Theory of Rational Addiction,"
University of Chicago - George G. Stigler Center for Study of Economy and State, Chicago - Center for Study of Economy and State
41, Chicago - Center for Study of Economy and State.
- Becker, Gary S & Murphy, Kevin M, 1988. "A Theory of Rational Addiction," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, University of Chicago Press, vol. 96(4), pages 675-700, August.
- Frank J. Chaloupka & Michael Grossman & John A. Tauras, 1998.
"The Demand for Cocaine and Marijuana by Youth,"
NBER Working Papers
6411, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Frank J. Chaloupka & Michael Grossman & John A. Tauras, 1999. "The Demand for Cocaine and Marijuana by Youth," NBER Chapters, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, in: The Economic Analysis of Substance Use and Abuse: An Integration of Econometrics and Behavioral Economic Research, pages 133-156 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Juan Carlos Muñoz-Mora & Santiago Tobón-Zapata & Jesse d'Anjou, 2014.
"Does land titling matter? The role of land property rights in the war on illicit crops in Colombia,"
HiCN Working Papers
168, Households in Conflict Network.
- Juan Carlos Munoz Mora & Santiago Tobon-Zapata & Jesse Willem D'Anjou, 2014. "Does Land Titling Matter ?The Role of Land Property Rights in the War on Illicit Crops in Colombia," Working Papers ECARES, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles ECARES 2014-11, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Gerson Javier Perez, 2012.
"Primera versión de la política de seguridad democrática: se cumplieron los objetivos?,"
REVISTA DE ECONOMÍA DEL ROSARIO,
UNIVERSIDAD DEL ROSARIO.
- Gerson Javier Pérez Valbuena, 2012. "Primera versión de la Política de Seguridad Democrática: Se cumplieron los objetivos?," DOCUMENTOS DE TRABAJO SOBRE ECONOMÃA REGIONAL, BANCO DE LA REPÃBLICA - ECONOMÃA REGIONAL 009385, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA - ECONOMÍA REGIONAL.
- Botero Degiovanni, Hernan, 2013. "The Effects of Drug Enforcement on Violence in Colombia 1999-2010: A Spatial Econometric Approach," MPRA Paper 49459, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Gerson Javier Pérez V., 2012.
"Goals Met or Just Empty Promises? First Version of the Democratic Security Policy in Colombia,"
Borradores de Economia
700, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Gerson Javier Pérez V., 2012. "Goals Met or Just Empty Promises? First Version of the Democratic Security Policy in Colombia," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA, BANCO DE LA REPÃBLICA 009408, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Daniel Mejia & Pascual Restrepo, 2011.
"The War on Illegal Drugs in Producer and Consumer Countries: A simple analytical framework,"
DOCUMENTOS CEDE, UNIVERSIDAD DE LOS ANDES-CEDE
007960, UNIVERSIDAD DE LOS ANDES-CEDE.
- Daniel Mejía, 2008. "The War on Illegal Drugs in Producer and Consumer Countries: A Simple Analytical Framework," CESifo Working Paper Series 2459, CESifo Group Munich.
- International Monetary Fund, 2011. "The Relationship Between Illicit Coca Production and Formal Economic Activity in Peru," IMF Working Papers, International Monetary Fund 11/182, International Monetary Fund.
- L. Leoncini & F. Rentocchini, 2010. "Counteracting cocaine production. An analysis based on a novel dataset," Working Papers 693, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Leonardo Raffo López, 2010. "Narcotráfico y conflicto: ¿por qué bajó el precio de la cocaína?," Revista de Economía Institucional, Universidad Externado de Colombia - Facultad de Economía, Universidad Externado de Colombia - Facultad de Economía, vol. 12(23), pages 229-258, July-Dece.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Clorith Angélica Bahos Olivera).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.