The War on Illegal Drug Production and Trafficking: An Economic Evaluation of Plan Colombia
AbstractThis paper provides a thorough economic evaluation of the anti-drug policies implemented in Colombia between 2000 and 2006 under the so-called Plan Colombia. The paper develops a game theory model of the war against illegal drugs in producer countries. We explicitly model illegal drug markets, which allows us to account for the feedback effects between policies and market outcomes that are potentially important when evaluating large scale policy interventions such as Plan Colombia. We use available data for the war on cocaine production and trafficking as well as outcomes from the cocaine markets to calibrate the parameters of the model. Using the results from the calibration we estimate important measures of the costs, effectiveness, and efficiency of the war on drugs in Colombia. Finally we carry out simulations in order to assess the impact of increases in the U.S. budget allocated to Plan Colombia, and find that a three-fold increase in the U.S. budget allocated to the war on drugs in Colombia would decrease the amount of cocaine that successfully reaches consumer countries by about 17%.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Households in Conflict Network in its series HiCN Working Papers with number 53.
Length: 57 pages
Date of creation: Dec 2008
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.hicn.org
Hard drugs; conflict; war on drugs; Plan Colombia;
Other versions of this item:
- Daniel Mejía & Pascual Restrepo, 2008. "The War on Illegal Drug Production and Trafficking: An Economic Evaluation of Plan Colombia," DOCUMENTOS CEDE 005123, UNIVERSIDAD DE LOS ANDES-CEDE.
- D74 - Microeconomics - - Analysis of Collective Decision-Making - - - Conflict; Conflict Resolution; Alliances
- K42 - Law and Economics - - Legal Procedure, the Legal System, and Illegal Behavior - - - Illegal Behavior and the Enforcement of Law
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Mejia, Daniel & Uribe, Maria Jose & Ibanez, Ana Maria, 2011.
"An Evaluation of the Macarena Integral Consolidation Plan (PCIM),"
Documentos CEDE Series
107426, Universidad de Los Andes, Economics Department.
- Daniel Mejia & María José Uribe & Ana María Ibáñez L., 2011. "An evaluation of the Macarena Integral Consolidation Plan (PCIM)," DOCUMENTOS CEDE 008742, UNIVERSIDAD DE LOS ANDES-CEDE.
- Gerson Javier Pérez V., 2012.
"Goals Met or Just Empty Promises? First Version of the Democratic Security Policy in Colombia,"
BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA
009408, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Gerson Javier Pérez V., 2012. "Goals Met or Just Empty Promises? First Version of the Democratic Security Policy in Colombia," Borradores de Economia 700, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Mariana Blanco & Juan F. Vargas, 2010.
"Empowering IDP with SMS: A Randomized Controlled Trial in Bogotá,"
HiCN Working Papers
84, Households in Conflict Network.
- Mariana Blanco & Juan F. Vargas, 2010. "Empowering IDPs with SMS: A Randomized Controlled Trial in Bogota," Research Department Publications 4704, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Mariana Blanco & Juan F. Vargas, 2010. "Empowering IDPs with SMS: A Randomized Controlled Trial in Bogota," IDB Publications 37718, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Mariana Blanco & Juan F. Vargas, 2010. "Empowering IDP with SMS: a randomized controlled trial in Bogotá," DOCUMENTOS DE TRABAJO 007306, UNIVERSIDAD DEL ROSARIO.
- Gerson Javier Pérez V., 2012.
"Plan Colombia´s Onset: Effects on Homicides and Violent Deaths,"
BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA
010348, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Gerson Javier Pérez V., 2012. "Plan Colombia’s Onset: Effects on Homicides and Violent Deaths," Borradores de Economia 746, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Leonardo Raffo López, 2010. "Narcotráfico y conflicto: ¿por qué bajó el precio de la cocaína?," Revista de Economía Institucional, Universidad Externado de Colombia - Facultad de Economía, vol. 12(23), pages 229-258, July-Dece.
- Juan David Prada-Sarmiento, 2010. "Uncertainty in conflicts," DOCUMENTOS CEDE 007713, UNIVERSIDAD DE LOS ANDES-CEDE.
- Juan Camilo Castillo, Daniel Mejia, and Pascual Restrepo, 2014. "Scarcity without Leviathan: The Violent Effects of Cocaine Supply Shortages in the Mexican Drug War - Working Paper 356," Working Papers 356, Center for Global Development.
- Juan Carlos Munoz Mora & Santiago Tobon-Zapata & Jesse Willem D'Anjou, 2014.
"Does Land Titling Matter ?The Role of Land Property Rights in the War on Illicit Crops in Colombia,"
Working Papers ECARES
ECARES 2014-11, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Juan Carlos Muñoz-Mora & Santiago Tobón-Zapata & Jesse d'Anjou, 2014. "Does land titling matter? The role of land property rights in the war on illicit crops in Colombia," HiCN Working Papers 168, Households in Conflict Network.
- Daniel Mejia & Pascual Restrepo, 2011.
"The War on Illegal Drugs in Producer and Consumer Countries: A simple analytical framework,"
007960, UNIVERSIDAD DE LOS ANDES-CEDE.
- Daniel Mejía, 2008. "The War on Illegal Drugs in Producer and Consumer Countries: A Simple Analytical Framework," CESifo Working Paper Series 2459, CESifo Group Munich.
- Adriana Camacho & Alejandro Gaviria & Catherine Rodríguez, 2010. "El consumo de droga en Colombia," DOCUMENTOS CEDE 007607, UNIVERSIDAD DE LOS ANDES-CEDE.
- Mariana Blanco & Juan Fernando Vargas, 2013.
"Can SMS Technology Improve Low Take-up of Social Benefits?,"
DOCUMENTOS DE TRABAJO
011036, UNIVERSIDAD DEL ROSARIO.
- Blanco Mariana & Vargas Juan F., 2014. "Can SMS Technology Improve Low Take-up of Social Benefits?," Peace Economics, Peace Science, and Public Policy, De Gruyter, vol. 20(1), pages 61-81, January.
- Ibanez, Marcela & Martinsson, Peter, 2013. "Curbing coca cultivation in Colombia — A framed field experiment," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 105(C), pages 1-10.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alia Aghajanian) or () The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask to update the entry or send us the correct address or () or ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.