Monetary Policy, Real Exchange Rate, and the Current Account in a Small Open Economy
AbstractUsing a sticky price model for small open economy this paper compares the consequences of two alternative monetary policies over a set of variables. The baseline case assumes a policy rule for the Central Bank that has inflation forecast and output as a target. The alternative policy is a rule that also includes a target for the real exchange rate. The inclusion of a target for the real exchange rate in the policy reaction function of the Central Bank could be important if the monetary authority is concerned about fluctuations in the current account. The results show that the alternative policy can help to reduce the volatility of the external accounts and in some case it can also help to reduce the volatility of the output gap. However, this policy introduces more volatility in inflation and it also makes the convergence of this variable to its steady state level slower.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Central Bank of Chile in its series Working Papers Central Bank of Chile with number 253.
Date of creation: Dec 2003
Date of revision:
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2004-02-15 (All new papers)
- NEP-IFN-2004-02-15 (International Finance)
- NEP-MAC-2004-02-15 (Macroeconomics)
- NEP-MON-2004-02-15 (Monetary Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Laurence M. Ball, 1999.
"Policy Rules for Open Economies,"
in: Monetary Policy Rules, pages 127-156
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Svensson, Lars E O, 1998.
"Open-Economy Inflation Targeting,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1989, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Svensson, Lars E.O., 1998. "Open-Economy Inflation Targeting," Seminar Papers 638, Stockholm University, Institute for International Economic Studies.
- Svensson, L.E.O., 1998. "Open-Economy Inflation Targeting," Papers 638, Stockholm - International Economic Studies.
- Lars E. O. Svensson, 2000. "Open-Economy Inflation Targeting," NBER Working Papers 6545, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Eric Parrado, 2004. "Inflation Targeting and Exchange Rate Rules in an Open Economy," IMF Working Papers 04/21, International Monetary Fund.
- Jordi Gali & Tommaso Monacelli, 1999. "Optimal Monetary Policy and Exchange Rate Volatility in a Small Open Economy," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 438, Boston College Department of Economics, revised 15 Nov 1999.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Claudio Sepulveda).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.