Degree of openness and inflation targeting policy: model of a small open economy
AbstractPurpose – The purpose of this paper is to deal with the dynamics of a Neo-Keynesian model applied to a small open economy, in order to show the impact of commercial openness on the choice of the optimal inflation target. Design/methodology/approach – The author uses a neo-Keynesian model with calibration for Chile. Findings – The results show that there is a relation between the degree of openness and the type of inflation targeting policy. Originality/value – The originality of the paper is to use a neo-Keynesian model to deal with a small open economy, which uses inflation targeting as a monetary rule.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Emerald Group Publishing in its journal Journal of Financial Economic Policy.
Volume (Year): 4 (2012)
Issue (Month): 3 (August)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.emeraldinsight.com
Postal: Emerald Group Publishing, Howard House, Wagon Lane, Bingley, BD16 1WA, UK
Other versions of this item:
- Bousrih Jihene & Bousrih Jihene, 2010. "Degree of Openness and Inflation Targeting Policy: Model of a Small Open Economy," Working Papers 2010.2, International Network for Economic Research - INFER.
- E31 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Price Level; Inflation; Deflation
- E37 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Forecasting and Simulation: Models and Applications
- E52 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - Monetary Policy
- F41 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - Open Economy Macroeconomics
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Flamini, Alessandro, 2007.
"Inflation targeting and exchange rate pass-through,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 26(7), pages 1113-1150, November.
- Alessandro Flamini, 2004. "Inflation Targeting and Exchange Rate Pass-Through," IHEID Working Papers 04-2004, Economics Section, The Graduate Institute of International Studies.
- Guillermo A. Calvo, 2001.
"Capital markets and the exchange rate with special reference to the dollarization debate in Latin America,"
Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, pages 312-338.
- Calvo, Guillermo A, 2001. "Capital Markets and the Exchange Rate with Special Reference to the Dollarization Debate in Latin America," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 33(2), pages 312-34, May.
- Marc P. Giannoni & Michael Woodford, 2003.
"Optimal Inflation Targeting Rules,"
NBER Working Papers
9939, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- David Romer, 1991.
"Openness and Inflation: Theory and Evidence,"
NBER Working Papers
3936, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alina Carare & Mark R. Stone, 2003.
"Inflation Targeting Regimes,"
IMF Working Papers
03/9, International Monetary Fund.
- Paul Conway & Aaron Drew & Ben Hunt & Alasdair Scott, 1998. "Exchange rate effects and inflation targeting in a small open economy: a stochastic analysis using FPS," Reserve Bank of New Zealand Discussion Paper Series G99/4, Reserve Bank of New Zealand.
- Ben S. Bernanke & Frederic S. Mishkin, 1997.
"Inflation Targeting: A New Framework for Monetary Policy?,"
NBER Working Papers
5893, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ben S. Bernanke & Frederic S. Mishkin, 1997. "Inflation Targeting: A New Framework for Monetary Policy?," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 11(2), pages 97-116, Spring.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Calvo, Guillermo, 2001.
"Fixing for your life,"
13873, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Svensson, Lars E.O., 1998.
"Open-Economy Inflation Targeting,"
638, Stockholm University, Institute for International Economic Studies.
- Svensson, L.E.O., 1998. "Open-Economy Inflation Targeting," Papers 638, Stockholm - International Economic Studies.
- Svensson, Lars E O, 1998. "Open-Economy Inflation Targeting," CEPR Discussion Papers 1989, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Lars E. O. Svensson, 2000. "Open-Economy Inflation Targeting," NBER Working Papers 6545, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sanchez-Fung, Jose R, 2003.
"Inflation targeting and monetary analysis in Chile and Mexico,"
Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2003
179, Royal Economic Society.
- Jose Sanchez-Fung, 2004. "Inflation targeting and monetary analysis in Chile and Mexico," Money Macro and Finance (MMF) Research Group Conference 2003 82, Money Macro and Finance Research Group.
- Adolfson, Malin, 2001.
"Monetary Policy with Incomplete Exchange Rate Pass-Through,"
Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance
476, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Adolfson, Malin, 2001. "Monetary Policy with Incomplete Exchange Rate Pass-Through," Working Paper Series 127, Sveriges Riksbank (Central Bank of Sweden).
- Jean-Guillaume Sahuc & Stéphane Moyen, 2007. "Le modèle d’équilibre général de la « nouvelle synthèse » : quelles hypothèses retenir ?," Documents de recherche 07-06, Centre d'Études des Politiques Économiques (EPEE), Université d'Evry Val d'Essonne.
- Eric Parrado, 2004. "Inflation Targeting and Exchange Rate Rules in an Open Economy," IMF Working Papers 04/21, International Monetary Fund.
- Blanchard, Olivier Jean & Kahn, Charles M, 1980. "The Solution of Linear Difference Models under Rational Expectations," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(5), pages 1305-11, July.
- Jordi Gali & Tommaso Monacelli, 1999. "Optimal Monetary Policy and Exchange Rate Volatility in a Small Open Economy," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 438, Boston College Department of Economics, revised 15 Nov 1999.
- Edwin M. Truman, 2003. "Inflation Targeting in the World Economy," Peterson Institute Press: All Books, Peterson Institute for International Economics, number 346.
- Richard Clarida & Jordi Gali & Mark Gertler, 2001. "Optimal Monetary Policy in Closed versus Open Economies: An Integrated Approach," NBER Working Papers 8604, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Christopher Martin & Michael Arghyrou & Costas Milas, 2004. "Nonlinear inflation dynamics: evidence from the UK," Money Macro and Finance (MMF) Research Group Conference 2003 59, Money Macro and Finance Research Group.
- Amato, Jeffery D. & Gerlach, Stefan, 2001.
"Inflation Targeting in Emerging Market and Transition Economies: Lessons After a Decade,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3074, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Amato, Jeffery D. & Gerlach, Stefan, 2002. "Inflation targeting in emerging market and transition economies: Lessons after a decade," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 46(4-5), pages 781-790, May.
- Jeffery D. Amato & Stefan Gerlach, 2001. "Inflation Targeting in Emerging Market and Transition Economies: Lessons after a Decade," Working Papers 132001, Hong Kong Institute for Monetary Research.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Virginia Chapman).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.