InterRegional Wage Differentials in Portugal: An Analysis Across the Wage Distribution
AbstractTTypically, studies on regional wage differentials are based on OLS estimates and use Blinder (1973) and Oaxaca (1973) decomposition. Quantile regression is an alternative approach which allows for studying these differences across the whole wage distribution. In this study, the quantile regression framework is considered for the analysis of regional wage differences in Portugal. Our findings reveal significant differences in wage equations coefficients between regions for the various quantiles. Furthermore, we conclude that the regional wage differentials and the components explained by differences in endowments and differences in returns increase across the whole wage distribution.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Evora, CEFAGE-UE (Portugal) in its series CEFAGE-UE Working Papers with number 2011_25.
Length: 39 pages
Date of creation: 2011
Date of revision:
Regions; Wage differentials; Quantile regression; Quantile-based decompositions.;
Other versions of this item:
- JoÃƒÂ£o Pereira & Aurora Galego, 2012. "Inter-Regional Wage Differentials In Portugal: An Analysis Across The Wage Distribution," ERSA conference papers ersa12p19, European Regional Science Association.
- J31 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Wages, Compensation, and Labor Costs - - - Wage Level and Structure; Wage Differentials
- J38 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Wages, Compensation, and Labor Costs - - - Public Policy
- C21 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Cross-Sectional Models; Spatial Models; Treatment Effect Models
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-02-20 (All new papers)
- NEP-GEO-2012-02-20 (Economic Geography)
- NEP-LAB-2012-02-20 (Labour Economics)
- NEP-LMA-2012-02-20 (Labor Markets - Supply, Demand, & Wages)
- NEP-URE-2012-02-20 (Urban & Real Estate Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- JoÃ¯Â¿Â½o Pereira & Aurora Galego, 2013. "Intra-Regional Regional Wage Inequality In Portugal: A Quantile Based Decomposition Analisys," ERSA conference papers ersa13p158, European Regional Science Association.
- Aurora Galego & João Pereira, 2013. "Decomposition of Regional Wage Differences Along the Wage Distribution in Portugal: the Importance of Covariates," CEFAGE-UE Working Papers, University of Evora, CEFAGE-UE (Portugal) 2013_16, University of Evora, CEFAGE-UE (Portugal).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Angela Pacheco).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.