Inter-regional wage differentials in Spain
AbstractThe paper analyses the wage differentials among different Spanish regions. Hedonic wage equations are first formulated for those regions and then the wage decomposition method is applied, which allows separation of the effects due to characteristics from those due to returns. The results show that in the Centre and South, half of the wage differential corresponds to each concept, whereas in the North and East the difference is due more to the different remuneration than to the different characteristics. The variables that exert greatest influence on the characteristic differences are seniority, possessing a university degree, the command of a second language, the sector of activity, the supervisory tasks undertaken and the occupation. With respect to the different returns, the largest differences correspond to remuneration for seniority, a second language, the sector of activity, the working hours and discrimination by gender.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Economics Letters.
Volume (Year): 9 (2002)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEL20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Ricardo Freguglia & Naercio Menezes-Filho, 2012.
"Inter-regional wage differentials with individual heterogeneity: evidence from Brazil,"
The Annals of Regional Science,
Springer, vol. 49(1), pages 17-34, August.
- Freguglia, Ricardo S. & Menezes, Naercio A., 2011. "Inter-regional Wage Differentials with Individual Heterogeneity: Evidence from Brazil," Insper Working Papers wpe_231, Insper Working Paper, Insper Instituto de Ensino e Pesquisa.
- Ismael Ahamdanech Zarco & Carmelo García Pérez & Hipólito Simón Pérez, 2010.
"Wage inequality in Spain: A regional perspective,"
2010/24, Institut d'Economia de Barcelona (IEB).
- Aurora Galego & João Pereira, 2013. "Decomposition of Regional Wage Differences Along the Wage Distribution in Portugal: the Importance of Covariates," CEFAGE-UE Working Papers 2013_16, University of Evora, CEFAGE-UE (Portugal).
- Vieira, José A. Cabral & Couto, João Pedro Almeida & Borges Tiago, Maria Teresa, 2005.
"Inter-Regional Wage Dispersion in Portugal,"
IZA Discussion Papers
1664, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Vizer, David, 2011. "Behind the North-South divide: A decomposition analysis," MPRA Paper 28364, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Hernández, Laura & Serrano, Lorenzo, 2012. "Overeducation and its effects on wages: a closer look at the Spanish regions," Investigaciones Regionales, Asociación Española de Ciencia Regional, issue 24, pages 59-90.
- Aleksey Oshchepkov, 2007. "Are Interregional Wage Differentials in Russia Compensative?," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 750, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Eric Delattre & Jean-Baptiste Combès & Bob Elliott & Diane Skatun, 2012. "Hospital Staffing and Local Pay: an Investigation into the Impact of Local variations in the Competitiveness of Nurses Pay on the Staffing of Hospitals in France," THEMA Working Papers 2012-35, THEMA (THéorie Economique, Modélisation et Applications), Université de Cergy-Pontoise.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.