The Equilibrium Value of the Euro/$ US Exchange Rate: An Evaluation of Research
AbstractThe ultimate object of research concerning the Euro is to answer the following questions: (#1) What is the equilibrium trajectory of the nominal euro, measured as dollars/euro? (#2) To what extent has the equilibrium nominal euro been determined by relative prices (PPP), and to what extent has it been determined by real fundamentals? (#3) How important have been the transitory factors in affecting the value of the euro? (#4) Is the euro currently undervalued, and by what criteria? Our evaluation of recent research concerning the answers to these questions, is the subject of this paper.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by CESifo Group Munich in its series CESifo Working Paper Series with number 525.
Date of creation: 2001
Date of revision:
Euro; NATREX; BEER; equilibrium exchange rates; international capital flows; misalignment;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Donald, Ronald Mac, 1998. "What Do We Really Know About Real Exchange Rates?," Working Papers 28, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank).
- Ronald MacDonald & Peter B. Clark, 1998. "Exchange Rates and Economic Fundamentals - A Methodological Comparison of BEERs and FEERs," IMF Working Papers 98/67, International Monetary Fund.
- Stein, Jerome L. & Paladino, Giovanna, 1997. "Recent developments in international finance: A guide to research," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 21(11-12), pages 1685-1720, December.
- Jorge Pérez-Rodríguez, 2006. "The Euro and Other Major Currencies Floating Against the U.S. Dollar," Atlantic Economic Journal, International Atlantic Economic Society, vol. 34(4), pages 367-384, December.
- Minoas Koukouritakis & Nikolaos Giannellis, .
"Behavioural Equilibrium Exchange Rate and Total Misalignment: Evidence from the Euro Exchange Rate,"
0901, University of Crete, Department of Economics.
- Nikolaos Giannellis & Minoas Koukouritakis, 2011. "Behavioural equilibrium exchange rate and total misalignment: evidence from the euro exchange rate," Empirica, Springer, vol. 38(4), pages 555-578, November.
- Daniela Federici & Giancarlo Gandolfo, 2011.
"The Euro/Dollar Exchange Rate: Chaotic or Non-Chaotic?,"
DEGIT Conference Papers
c016_035, DEGIT, Dynamics, Economic Growth, and International Trade.
- Daniela Federici & Giancarlo Gandolfo, 2011. "The Euro/Dollar Exchange Rate: Chaotic or Non-Chaotic?," CESifo Working Paper Series 3420, CESifo Group Munich.
- Federici, Daniela & Gandolfo, Giancarlo, 2012. "The Euro/Dollar exchange rate: Chaotic or non-chaotic? A continuous time model with heterogeneous beliefs," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 36(4), pages 670-681.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Julio Saavedra).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.