Conflicts with Multiple Battlefields
AbstractThis paper examines conflicts in which performance is measured by the players' success or failure in multiple component conflicts, commonly termed “battlefields”. In multi-battlefield conflicts, behavioral linkages across battlefields depend both on the technologies of conflict within each battlefield and the nature of economies or diseconomies in how battlefield out-comes and costs aggregate in determining payoffs in the overall conflict.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by CESifo Group Munich in its series CESifo Working Paper Series with number 3165.
Date of creation: 2010
Date of revision:
conflict; contest; battlefield; Colonel Blotto Game; auction; lottery;
Other versions of this item:
- C72 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Game Theory and Bargaining Theory - - - Noncooperative Games
- D74 - Microeconomics - - Analysis of Collective Decision-Making - - - Conflict; Conflict Resolution; Alliances
- H56 - Public Economics - - National Government Expenditures and Related Policies - - - National Security and War
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Che,Y.K. & Gale,I., 1998.
"Difference-form contests and the robustness of all-pay auctions,"
Working papers, Wisconsin Madison - Social Systems
6, Wisconsin Madison - Social Systems.
- Che, Yeon-Koo & Gale, Ian, 2000. "Difference-Form Contests and the Robustness of All-Pay Auctions," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 22-43, January.
- Godinho, Pedro & Dias, Joana, 2013. "Two-player simultaneous location game: Preferential rights and overbidding," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 229(3), pages 663-672.
- Denter, Philipp, 2013. "A theory of communication in political campaigns," Economics Working Paper Series 1302, University of St. Gallen, School of Economics and Political Science.
- David Rietzke & Brian Roberson, 2010.
"The Robustness of ‘Enemy-of-My-Enemy-is-My-Friend’ Alliances,"
Purdue University Economics Working Papers
1258, Purdue University, Department of Economics.
- David Rietzke & Brian Roberson, 2013. "The robustness of ‘enemy-of-my-enemy-is-my-friend’ alliances," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer, Springer, vol. 40(4), pages 937-956, April.
- Marcin Dziubiński, 2013. "Non-symmetric discrete General Lotto games," International Journal of Game Theory, Springer, Springer, vol. 42(4), pages 801-833, November.
- Osório Costa, Antonio Miguel, 2013.
"The Lottery Blotto Game,"
2072/211806, Universitat Rovira i Virgili, Department of Economics.
- Sudipta Sarangi & Dan Kovenock & Matt Wiser, . "All-Pay Hex: A Multibattle Contest With Complementarities," Departmental Working Papers, Department of Economics, Louisiana State University 2012-06, Department of Economics, Louisiana State University.
- S. Goyal & A. Vigier, 2013. "Attack, Defense and Contagion in Networks," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge 1327, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Montero García, Maria & Possajennikow, Alex & Sefton, Martín & Turocy, Theodore L., 2013.
"Majoritarian Contests with Asymmetric Battlefields: An Experiment,"
IKERLANAK, Universidad del PaÃs Vasco - Departamento de Fundamentos del AnÃ¡lisis EconÃ³mico I
Ikerlanak;2013-76, Universidad del País Vasco - Departamento de Fundamentos del Análisis Económico I.
- Maria Montero & Alex Possajennikov & Martin Sefton & Theodore Turocy, 2013. "Majoritarian Contests with Asymmetric Battlefields: An Experiment," Discussion Papers, The Centre for Decision Research and Experimental Economics, School of Economics, University of Nottingham 2013-12, The Centre for Decision Research and Experimental Economics, School of Economics, University of Nottingham.
- Roland Hodler & Hadi Yektas, 2013. "Wars of Conquest and Independence," CESifo Working Paper Series 4282, CESifo Group Munich.
- Shakun D. Mago & Roman M. Sheremeta, 2012. "Multi-Battle Contests: An Experimental Study," Working Papers, Chapman University, Economic Science Institute 12-06, Chapman University, Economic Science Institute.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Julio Saavedra).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.