Merger Policy to Promote ‘Global Players’? A Simple Model
AbstractWe use a simple framework where firms in two countries serve their respective domestic markets and a world market to analyze under which conditions cost-reducing mergers will be beneficial for the merging firms, the home country, and the world as a whole. For a national merger, the policies enacted by a national merger authority tend to be overly restrictive from a global efficiency perspective. In contrast, all international mergers that benefit the merging firms will be cleared by either a national or a regional regulator, and this laissez-faire approach is also globally efficient. Finally, we derive the properties of the endogenous merger equilibrium.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by CESifo Group Munich in its series CESifo Working Paper Series with number 1523.
Date of creation: 2005
Date of revision:
merger policy; international trade;
Other versions of this item:
- Andreas Haufler & Søren Bo Nielsen, 2008. "Merger policy to promote 'global players'? A simple model," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 60(3), pages 517-545, July.
- Haufler, Andreas & Nielsen, Søren Bo, 2005. "Merger Policy to Promote Global Players? A Simple Model," Discussion Papers in Economics 666, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- F13 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Trade Policy; International Trade Organizations
- H77 - Public Economics - - State and Local Government; Intergovernmental Relations - - - Intergovernmental Relations; Federalism
- L41 - Industrial Organization - - Antitrust Issues and Policies - - - Monopolization; Horizontal Anticompetitive Practices
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2005-10-04 (All new papers)
- NEP-COM-2005-10-04 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-IND-2005-10-04 (Industrial Organization)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Persson, Lars & Horn, Henrik, 1998.
"Endogenous Mergers in Concentrated Markets,"
Working Paper Series
513, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Barros, Pedro P. & Cabral, Luis, 1994. "Merger policy in open economies," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 38(5), pages 1041-1055, May.
- Steffen Huck & Kai A. Konrad & Wieland Müller, 2005.
"Merger without Cost Advantages,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
1461, CESifo Group Munich.
- Keith Head & John Ries, 1997. "International Mergers and Welfare under Decentralized Competition Policy," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 30(4), pages 1104-23, November.
- Steffen Huck & Kai A. Konrad, 2004.
"Merger Profitability and Trade Policy,"
Scandinavian Journal of Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 106(1), pages 107-122, 03.
- Huck, Steffen & Konrad, Kai A., 2001. "Merger profitability and trade policy," Discussion Papers, Research Unit: Market Processes and Governance FS IV 01-12, Social Science Research Center Berlin (WZB).
- Farrell, Joseph & Shapiro, Carl, 1988.
"Horizontal Mergers: An Equilibrium Analysis,"
Department of Economics, Working Paper Series
qt0tp305nx, Department of Economics, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Hans-Werner Sinn, 2002. "Fusion E.ON-Ruhrgas : die volkswirtschaftlichen Aspekte ; die für die Entscheidung des Bundesministers für Wirtschaft und Technologie relevanten volkswirtschaftlichen Aspekte beim Zusammenschlussvor," ifo Forschungsberichte, Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, number 9.
- repec:fth:iniesr:543 is not listed on IDEAS
- Lars-Hendrik Röller & Johan Stennek & Frank Verboven, 2000.
"Efficiency Gains from Mergers,"
CIG Working Papers
FS IV 00-09, Wissenschaftszentrum Berlin (WZB), Research Unit: Competition and Innovation (CIG).
- Kjell Erik Lommerud & Odd Rune Straume & Lars Sørgard, 2006.
"National versus international mergers in unionized oligopoly,"
RAND Journal of Economics,
RAND Corporation, vol. 37(1), pages 212-233, 03.
- Lommerud, Kjell Erik & Sørgard, Lars & Straume, Odd Rune, 2003. "National versus International Mergers in Unionised Oligopoly," CEPR Discussion Papers 4040, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Lommerud, Kjell Erik & Straume, Odd Rune & Sørgard, Lars, 2003. "National versus international mergers in unionised oligopoly," Working Papers in Economics 12/03, University of Bergen, Department of Economics.
- Horn, H. & Levinsohn, J., 1998.
"Merger Policies and Trade Liberalization,"
420, Research Seminar in International Economics, University of Michigan.
- Richardson, Martin, 1999. "Trade and Competition Policies: Concordia Discors?," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 51(4), pages 649-64, October.
- Horn, Henrik & Persson, Lars, 2001.
"The equilibrium ownership of an international oligopoly,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 53(2), pages 307-333, April.
- Horn, Henrik & Persson, Lars, 1999. "The Equilibrium Ownership of an International Oligopoly," Working Paper Series 515, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Horn, Henrik & Persson, Lars, 1999. "The Equilibrium Ownership of an International Oligopoly," CEPR Discussion Papers 2302, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Klaus Gugler & Dennis C. Mueller & B. Burcin Yurtoglu & Christine Zulehner, 2001.
"The Effects of Mergers: An International Comparison,"
CIG Working Papers
FS IV 01-21, Wissenschaftszentrum Berlin (WZB), Research Unit: Competition and Innovation (CIG).
- Gugler, Klaus & Mueller, Dennis C. & Yurtoglu, B. Burcin & Zulehner, Christine, 2003. "The effects of mergers: an international comparison," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 21(5), pages 625-653, May.
- Mark Rysman, 2000. "Competition Policy as Strategic Trade," Papers 0100, Boston University - Industry Studies Programme.
- Brander, James A. & Spencer, Barbara J., 1985.
"Export subsidies and international market share rivalry,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 18(1-2), pages 83-100, February.
- James A. Brander & Barbara J. Spencer, 1984. "Export Subsidies and International Market Share Rivalry," NBER Working Papers 1464, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bjorvatn, Kjetil, 2004. "Economic integration and the profitability of cross-border mergers and acquisitions," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 48(6), pages 1211-1226, December.
- Lommerud, Kjell Erik & Sorgard, Lars, 1997.
"Merger and product range rivalry,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 21-42, November.
- Lommerud, K.E. & Sorgard, L., 1997. "Merger and Product Range Rivalery," Norway; Department of Economics, University of Bergen 165, Department of Economics, University of Bergen.
- Levin, Dan, 1990.
"Horizontal Mergers: The 50-Percent Benchmark,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 80(5), pages 1238-45, December.
- Salant, Stephen W & Switzer, Sheldon & Reynolds, Robert J, 1983. "Losses from Horizontal Merger: The Effects of an Exogenous Change in Industry Structure on Cournot-Nash Equilibrium," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 98(2), pages 185-99, May.
- Joseph A. Clougherty, 2003. "Industry Trade-Balance and Domestic Merger Policy: Some Empirical Evidence from the U.S," CIG Working Papers SP II 2003-19, Wissenschaftszentrum Berlin (WZB), Research Unit: Competition and Innovation (CIG).
- Kjell Lommerud & Trond Olsen & Odd Straume, 2010. "Company Taxation and Merger Incentives in International Oligopoly: on International Policy Coordination with Strategic Trade," Journal of Industry, Competition and Trade, Springer, vol. 10(2), pages 161-186, June.
- Andreas Haufler & Christian Schulte, 2011. "Merger policy and tax competition: the role of foreign firm ownership," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer, vol. 18(2), pages 121-145, April.
- Andreas Haufler & Christian Schulte, 2007.
"Merger Policy and Tax Competition,"
035, Bavarian Graduate Program in Economics (BGPE).
- Andreas Haufler & Christian Schulte, 2007. "Merger Policy and Tax Competition," CESifo Working Paper Series 2157, CESifo Group Munich.
- Haufler, Andreas & Schulte, Christian, 2007. "Merger Policy and Tax Competition," Discussion Papers in Economics 2074, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Johannes Becker & Clemens Fuest, 2007.
"Taxing Foreign Profits with International Mergers and Acquisitions,"
0719, Oxford University Centre for Business Taxation.
- Johannes Becker & Clemens Fuest, 2010. "Taxing Foreign Profits With International Mergers And Acquisitions," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 51(1), pages 171-186, 02.
- Francesc Trillas, 2008. "Regulatory federalism in network industries," Working Papers 2008/8, Institut d'Economia de Barcelona (IEB).
- Johannes Becker & Clemens Fuest, 2008.
"Tax Competition – Greenfield Investment versus Mergers and Acquisitions,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
2247, CESifo Group Munich.
- Becker, Johannes & Fuest, Clemens, 2011. "Tax competition -- Greenfield investment versus mergers and acquisitions," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 41(5), pages 476-486, September.
- Johannes Becker & Clemens Fuest, 2007. "Corporate Tax Policy and International Mergers and Acquisitions – Is the Tax Exemption System Superior?," CESifo Working Paper Series 1884, CESifo Group Munich.
- Santos-Pinto, Luís, 2009.
"The Impact of Firm Size and Market Size Asymmetries on National Mergers in a Three-Country Model,"
17166, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Luís Santos-Pinto, 2009. "The Impact of Firm Size and Market Size Asymmetries on National Mergers in a Three-Country Model," Cahiers de Recherches Economiques du DÃ©partement d'EconomÃ©trie et d'Economie politique (DEEP) 09.06, Université de Lausanne, Faculté des HEC, DEEP.
- Lommerud, Kjell Erik & Olsen, Trond E. & Straume, Odd Rune, 2006. "Cross border mergers and strategic trade policy with two-part taxation: is international policy coordination beneficial?," Discussion Papers, Research Unit: Market Processes and Governance SP II 2006-24, Social Science Research Center Berlin (WZB).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Julio Saavedra).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.