Do Job Security Guarantees Work?
AbstractWe investigate the effect of employer job security guarantees on employee perceptions of jobsecurity. Using linked employer-employee data from the 1998 British Workplace EmployeeRelations Survey, we find job security guarantees reduce employee perceptions of jobinsecurity. This finding is robust to endogenous selection of job security guarantees byemployers engaging in organisational change and workforce reductions. Furthermore, thereis no evidence that increased job security through job guarantees results in greater workintensification, stress, or lower job satisfaction.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Centre for Economic Performance, LSE in its series CEP Discussion Papers with number dp0661.
Date of creation: Nov 2004
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://cep.lse.ac.uk/_new/publications/series.asp?prog=CEP
Job insecurity; job guarantees; linked employer-employee data;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- J28 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Safety; Job Satisfaction; Related Public Policy
- J32 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Wages, Compensation, and Labor Costs - - - Nonwage Labor Costs and Benefits; Retirement Plans; Private Pensions
- J63 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Mobility, Unemployment, Vacancies, and Immigrant Workers - - - Turnover; Vacancies; Layoffs
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Charles F. Manski, 2004. "Measuring Expectations," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 72(5), pages 1329-1376, 09.
- Heckman, James J, 1978.
"Dummy Endogenous Variables in a Simultaneous Equation System,"
Econometric Society, vol. 46(4), pages 931-59, July.
- James J. Heckman, 1977. "Dummy Endogenous Variables in a Simultaneous Equation System," NBER Working Papers 0177, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Francis Green, 2003. "The Rise and Decline of Job Insecurity," Studies in Economics 0305, Department of Economics, University of Kent.
- Patricia Tracy Jones & Stephen Nickell & Glenda Quintini, 2000.
"A Picture of Job Insecurity Facing British Men,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0479, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- J Doling & J Ford, 1996. "The new homeownership: the impact of labour market developments on attitudes toward owning your own home," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 28(1), pages 157-172, January.
- Green, Francis & Felstead, Alan & Burchell, Brendan, 2000. " Job Insecurity and the Difficulty of Regaining Employment: An Empirical Study of Unemployment Expectations," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 62(0), pages 855-83, Special I.
- Akerlof, George A, 1982. "Labor Contracts as Partial Gift Exchange," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 97(4), pages 543-69, November.
- Alex Bryson & Michael White, 2006. "Unions, Job Reductions and Job Security Guarantees: the Experience of British Employees," CEP Discussion Papers dp0745, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Jahn, Elke J. & Wagner, Thomas, 2005. "Contractual Employment Protection and the Scarring Risk of Unemployment," IZA Discussion Papers 1813, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Olmo Silva, 2004. "Entrepreneurship: Can the Jack-of-All-Trades Attitude be Aquired?," CEP Discussion Papers dp0665, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Erling Barth & Alex Bryson & Harald Dale-Olsen, 2009. "How Does Innovation Affect Worker Well-being?," CEP Discussion Papers dp0953, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Linz, Susan J. & Semykina, Anastasia, 2008. "How do workers fare during transition? Perceptions of job insecurity among Russian workers, 1995-2004," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 442-458, June.
- Alex Bryson & Michael White, 2006. "Unions, Within-Workplace Job Cuts and Job Security Guarantees," CEP Discussion Papers dp0733, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Pierre Brochu & Louis-Philippe Morin, 2011. "Union Membership and Perceived Job Insecurity: 30 Years of Evidence from the American General social Survey," Working Papers 1106E, University of Ottawa, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.