Intertemporal Equilibria with Knightian Uncertainty
AbstractWe study a dynamic and infinite-dimensional model with Knightian uncertainty modeled by incomplete multiple prior preferences. In interior efficient allocations, agents share a common risk-adjusted prior and use the same subjective interest rate. Interior efficient allocations and equilibria coincide with those of economies with subjective expected utility and priors from the agents' multiple prior sets. We show that the set of equilibria with inertia contains the equilibria of the economy with variational preferences anchored at the initial endowments. A case study in an economy without aggregate uncertainty shows that risk is fully insured, while uncertainty can remain fully uninsured. Pessimistic agents with Gilboa-Schmeidler's max-min preferences would fully insure risk and uncertainty.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Bielefeld University, Center for Mathematical Economics in its series Working Papers with number 440.
Length: 30 pages
Date of creation: Sep 2010
Date of revision:
Knightian Uncertainty; Ambiguity; Incomplete Preferences; General Equilibrium Theory; No Trade;
Other versions of this item:
- Dana, Rose-Anne & Riedel, Frank, 2013. "Intertemporal equilibria with Knightian uncertainty," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 148(4), pages 1582-1605.
- Rose-Anne Dana & Frank Riedel, 2013. "Intertemporal equilibria with Knightian Uncertainty," Working Papers 16, Department of Research, Ipag Business School.
- D51 - Microeconomics - - General Equilibrium and Disequilibrium - - - Exchange and Production Economies
- D81 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Criteria for Decision-Making under Risk and Uncertainty
- D91 - Microeconomics - - Intertemporal Choice and Growth - - - Intertemporal Consumer Choice; Life Cycle Models and Saving
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-09-18 (All new papers)
- NEP-DGE-2010-09-18 (Dynamic General Equilibrium)
- NEP-UPT-2010-09-18 (Utility Models & Prospect Theory)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Epstein, Larry G. & Marinacci, Massimo, 2007.
"Mutual absolute continuity of multiple priors,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 137(1), pages 716-720, November.
- Easley, David & O'Hara, Maureen, 2010. "Liquidity and valuation in an uncertain world," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 97(1), pages 1-11, July.
- Zengjing Chen & Larry Epstein, 2002.
"Ambiguity, Risk, and Asset Returns in Continuous Time,"
Econometric Society, vol. 70(4), pages 1403-1443, July.
- Zengjing Chen & Larry G. Epstein, 2000. "Ambiguity, risk and asset returns in continuous time," RCER Working Papers 474, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Luca Rigotti & Chris Shannon & Tomasz Strzalecki, 2008.
"Subjective Beliefs and ex ante Trade,"
Econometric Society, vol. 76(5), pages 1167-1190, 09.
- Antoine Billot & Alain Chateauneuf & Itzhak Gilboa & Jean-Marc Tallon, 2000.
"Sharing beliefs: between agreeing and disagreeing,"
UniversitÃ© Paris1 PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers)
- Billot, A. & Chateauneuf, A. & Gilboa, I. & Tallon, J.-M., 1998. "Sharing Beliefs: Between Agreeing and Disagreeing," Papiers d'Economie MathÃÂ©matique et Applications 98.30, UniversitÃ© PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Paris 1).
- Faro, José Heleno, 2011. "Variational Bewley Preferences," Insper Working Papers wpe_258, Insper Working Paper, Insper Instituto de Ensino e Pesquisa.
- Efe A. Ok & Pietro Ortoleva & Gil Riella, 2012. "Incomplete Preferences Under Uncertainty: Indecisiveness in Beliefs versus Tastes," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 80(4), pages 1791-1808, 07.
- Fabio Maccheroni & Massimo Marinacci & Aldo Rustichini, 2006.
"Ambiguity Aversion, Robustness, and the Variational Representation of Preferences,"
Econometric Society, vol. 74(6), pages 1447-1498, November.
- Fabio Maccheroni & Massimo Marinacci & Aldo Rustichini, 2004. "Ambiguity Aversion, Robustness, and the Variational Representation of Preferences," Carlo Alberto Notebooks 12, Collegio Carlo Alberto, revised 2006.
- Gale, D. & Mas-Colell, A., 1975. "An equilibrium existence theorem for a general model without ordered preferences," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 2(1), pages 9-15, March.
- Itzhak Gilboa & Fabio Maccheroni & Massimo Marinacci & David Schmeidler, 2008.
"Objective and Subjective Rationality in a Multiple Prior Model,"
Carlo Alberto Notebooks
73, Collegio Carlo Alberto, revised 2008.
- Itzhak Gilboa & Fabio Maccheroni & Massimo Marinacci & David Schmeidler, 2010. "Objective and Subjective Rationality in a Multiple Prior Model," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 78(2), pages 755-770, 03.
- Larry G. Epstein & Martin Schneider, 2001.
RCER Working Papers
485, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Dana, Rose-Anne, 2002. "On Equilibria when Agents Have Multiple Priors," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/5456, Paris Dauphine University.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dr. Frederik Herzberg).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.