Is there a structural break in equilibrium velocity in the euro area?
AbstractWe investigate the stability of M3 income velocity in the euro area. We apply a set of breakpoint procedures to examine this issue and conclude that at least one structural change occurred around 2000-2001. We also find evidence of another structural break around 1992-1993. These two breaks seem to affect both the level and the slope of the income velocity of M3. We then estimate a model of equilibrium velocity that factors in the opportunity cost of M3, along the lines suggested by Orphanides and Porter (2000). Here again, we find some evidence of instability in equilibrium velocity. Given the importance of the assumption of stable velocity trends for both the derivation of the reference value and the two-pillar strategy of the Eurosystem, these findings question the relevance of some excess liquidity indicators directly computed from the reference value and may call for some adjustments in the conduct of the ECB's monetary policy.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Banque de France in its series Working papers with number 165.
Length: 34 pages
Date of creation: 2007
Date of revision:
M3 velocity ; Breakpoint tests; ECB.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E30 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - General (includes Measurement and Data)
- E50 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Guenter W. Beck & Volker Wieland, 2007.
"Money in Monetary Policy Design: A Formal Characterization of ECB-Style Cross-Checking,"
Journal of the European Economic Association,
MIT Press, vol. 5(2-3), pages 524-533, 04-05.
- Beck, Günter & Wieland, Volker, 2007. "Money in Monetary Policy Design: A Formal Characterization of ECB-Style Cross-Checking," CEPR Discussion Papers 6097, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Carlson, John B. & Craig, Ben & Schwarz, Jeffrey C., 2000. "Structural uncertainty and breakpoint tests: an application to equilibrium velocity1," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 52(1-2), pages 101-115.
- Frederic S. Mishkin, 2009.
"Monetary Policy Strategy,"
MIT Press Books,
The MIT Press,
edition 1, volume 1, number 0262513374, December.
- Christian Bordes & Laurent Clerc, 2007.
"Price Stability And The Ecb'S Monetary Policy Strategy,"
Journal of Economic Surveys,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 21(2), pages 268-326, 04.
- Bordes, C. & Clerc, L., 2004. "Price Stability and The ECB's Monetary Policy Strategy," Working papers 109, Banque de France.
- Brun, Matthieu & Dreyfus, Alain & Avouyi-Dovi, Sanvi & Drumetz, Françoise & Oung, Vichett & Sahuc, Jean-Guillaume, 2005.
"La fonction de demande de monnaie pour la zone euro : un réexamen,"
Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine
123456789/5489, Paris Dauphine University.
- Drumetz, F. & Avouyi-Dovi, S. & Brun, M. & Dreyfus, A. & Oung, V. & Sahuc, J-G., 2005. "La fonction de demande de monnaie pour la zone euro : un réexamen," Bulletin de la Banque de France, Banque de France, issue 142, pages 23-39.
- Avouyi-Dovi, S. & Brun, M. & Dreyfus, A. & Drumetz, F. & Oung, V. & Sahuc, J-G., 2006. "La fonction de demande de monnaie pour la zone euro : un réexamen," Working papers 142, Banque de France.
- Jushan Bai & Pierre Perron, 2003. "Critical values for multiple structural change tests," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 6(1), pages 72-78, 06.
- Christian Bordes & Laurent Clerc, 2007. "Price Stability and the ECB'S monetary policy strategy," UniversitÃ© Paris1 PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) hal-00308557, HAL.
- Michael Woodford, 2007.
"Does a "two-pillar Phillips curve" justify a two-pillar monetary policy strategy?,"
0607-06, Columbia University, Department of Economics.
- Woodford, Michael, 2007. "Does a 'Two-Pillar Phillips Curve' Justify a Two-Pillar Monetary Policy Strategy?," CEPR Discussion Papers 6447, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Barthélemy, J. & Clerc L. & Marx, M., 2008.
"A Two-Pillar DSGE Monetary Policy Model for the Euro Area,"
219, Banque de France.
- Barthélemy, Jean & Clerc, Laurent & Marx, Magali, 2011. "A two-pillar DSGE monetary policy model for the euro area," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 1303-1316, May.
- Michael Woodford, 2007.
"How Important is Money in the Conduct of Monetary Policy?,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
122247000000001419, David K. Levine.
- Michael Woodford, 2008. "How Important Is Money in the Conduct of Monetary Policy?," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 40(8), pages 1561-1598, December.
- Woodford, Michael, 2007. "How Important is Money in the Conduct of Monetary Policy?," CEPR Discussion Papers 6211, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Michael Woodford, 2007. "How Important is Money in the Conduct of Monetary Policy?," NBER Working Papers 13325, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Michael Woodford, 2006. "How Important is Money in the Conduct of Monetary Policy?," Working Papers 1104, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Michael Woodford, 2007. "How Important is Money in the Conduct of Monetary Policy?," Discussion Papers 0607-16, Columbia University, Department of Economics.
- Stéphane Sorbe & Timo Wollmershäuser, 2007. "Mittelfristige Inflationsprognose: Das Dilemma der Zwei-Säulen-Strategie der EZB," Ifo Schnelldienst, Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, vol. 60(11), pages 16-24, 06.
- Clerc, L., 2007. "Understanding Asset Prices: Determinants and Policy Implications," Working papers 168, Banque de France.
- MEZUI-MBENG, Pamphile, 2010.
"Tramsission de la politique monétaire: le cas des pays de la CEMAC
[Monetary policy transmission: the case of the CEMAC]," MPRA Paper 26032, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael brassart).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.