Cocaine Production and Trafficking: What do we know?
AbstractThe main purpose of this chapter is to summarize the information currently available on cocaine production and trafficking. The chapter starts by describing the available data on cocaine production and trade, the collection methodologies, (if available) used by different sources, the main biases in the data, and the accuracy of different data sources. Next, the chapter states some of the key empirical questions and hypotheses regarding cocaine production and trade and takes a first look at how well the data matches these hypotheses. Also, the chapter states some of the main puzzles in the cocaine market and studies some of the possible explanations. These puzzles and empirical questions should guide future research into our understanding of the key determinants of illicit drug production and trafficking. Finally, the chapter studies the different policies that producer countries have adopted to fight against cocaine production and the role consumer countries play in the implementation of anti-drug policies.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Banco de la Republica de Colombia in its series Borradores de Economia with number 444.
Date of creation:
Date of revision:
Cocaine; Narcotraffic; War on Drugs. Classification JEL: K42; C81; H56.;
Other versions of this item:
- Mejia, Daniel & Posada, Carlos Esteban, 2008. "Cocaine production and trafficking : what do we know ?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4618, The World Bank.
- Daniel Mejía & Carlos E. Posada, 2007. "Cocaine Production and Trafficking: What do we know?," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 003955, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- War - - - - - -
- on - - -
- Dru - Microeconomics - - - - -
- Cla - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - - - -
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-09-02 (All new papers)
- NEP-HIS-2007-09-02 (Business, Economic & Financial History)
- NEP-LAW-2007-09-02 (Law & Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Frank J. Chaloupka & Michael Grossman & John A. Tauras, 1998.
"The Demand for Cocaine and Marijuana by Youth,"
NBER Working Papers
6411, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Frank J. Chaloupka & Michael Grossman & John A. Tauras, 1999. "The Demand for Cocaine and Marijuana by Youth," NBER Chapters, in: The Economic Analysis of Substance Use and Abuse: An Integration of Econometrics and Behavioral Economic Research, pages 133-156 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jeff DeSimone & Matthew C. Farrelly, .
"Price and Enforcement Effects on Cocaine and Marijuana Demand,"
0101, East Carolina University, Department of Economics.
- Jeff DeSimone & Matthew C. Farrelly, 2003. "Price and Enforcement Effects on Cocaine and Marijuana Demand," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 41(1), pages 98-115, January.
- Gary S. Becker & Kevin M. Murphy, 1986.
"A Theory of Rational Addiction,"
University of Chicago - George G. Stigler Center for Study of Economy and State
41, Chicago - Center for Study of Economy and State.
- Daniel Mejía, 2008.
"The War on Illegal Drugs in Producer and Consumer Countries: A Simple Analytical Framework,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
2459, CESifo Group Munich.
- Daniel Mejia & Pascual Restrepo, 2011. "The War on Illegal Drugs in Producer and Consumer Countries: A simple analytical framework," DOCUMENTOS CEDE 007960, UNIVERSIDAD DE LOS ANDES-CEDE.
- Gerson Javier Pérez V., 2012.
"Goals Met or Just Empty Promises? First Version of the Democratic Security Policy in Colombia,"
Borradores de Economia
700, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Gerson Javier Pérez V., 2012. "Goals Met or Just Empty Promises? First Version of the Democratic Security Policy in Colombia," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 009408, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Gerson Javier Perez, 2012.
"Primera versión de la política de seguridad democrática: se cumplieron los objetivos?,"
REVISTA DE ECONOMÍA DEL ROSARIO,
UNIVERSIDAD DEL ROSARIO.
- Gerson Javier Pérez Valbuena, 2012. "Primera versión de la Política de Seguridad Democrática: Se cumplieron los objetivos?," DOCUMENTOS DE TRABAJO SOBRE ECONOMÃA REGIONAL 009385, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA - ECONOMÍA REGIONAL.
- International Monetary Fund, 2011. "The Relationship Between Illicit Coca Production and Formal Economic Activity in Peru," IMF Working Papers 11/182, International Monetary Fund.
- L. Leoncini & F. Rentocchini, 2010. "Counteracting cocaine production. An analysis based on a novel dataset," Working Papers 693, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Botero Degiovanni, Hernan, 2013. "The Effects of Drug Enforcement on Violence in Colombia 1999-2010: A Spatial Econometric Approach," MPRA Paper 49459, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Leonardo Raffo López, 2010. "Narcotráfico y conflicto: ¿por qué bajó el precio de la cocaína?," Revista de Economía Institucional, Universidad Externado de Colombia - Facultad de Economía, vol. 12(23), pages 229-258, July-Dece.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Camilo Millán).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.