The Fall in Colombian Savings During the 1990s. Theory and Evidence
AbstractThis After 1991 Colombia witnessed a sharp fall in the national savings rate (see figure 1.1), and in particular that of the private sector. Two hypotheses have been advanced for explaining this behavior. The first one stresses consumption smoothing within the Perrnanent Income Hypothesis framework (PIH). The reasons for such smoothing can be related with three major phenomena that characterized this period; namely, i. Since 1990 the government pursued an "apertura" (opening), consisting of tariff reductions, which the agents may have deemed as non-credible (transitory); hence, they exploited the advantage of purchasing imported goods at current low prices, expecting future rises in tariffs. ii. The agents believed in the apertura, but an overshooting of capital inflows led to an overvalued exchange rate, which, they expected, should be corrected at some point in the near future, with similar effects on current imports consumption. A similar effect on the real interest rate has been also claimed to have similar effects on total consumption (see Lopes et al, 1996). And iii. a predictable increase in income originated in fairly secure and substancial oil exports starting in 1997; this could lead oil exports revenues from $ 1.4 bn. yearly in 1991 (approximately 42% of total exports), to $ 4bn. after 1997. Such expected rise in income would have caused the observed increase in consumption. The second hypothesis is based on the relaxation of liquidity constraints (LCH), as a result of the capital inflows. Urrutia and Lopez (1994) argue that the increase in consumption was due to a relaxation in the liquidity constraints binding on an important share of the population (75% according to them). The inflow of capital experienced in the first years of the 1990s, and the monetary policy of that period would have allowed an increase in outstanding loans directed to consumption purposes. CÃ¡rdenas (1996) and SÃ¡nchez (1996) also present evidence in support of this hypo
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Banco de la Republica de Colombia in its series Borradores de Economia with number 061.
Date of creation:
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
- Juan Carlos Echeverry, 1996. "The Fall in Colombian savings during the 1990s. Theory and evidence," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 003593, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hall, Robert E, 1978. "Stochastic Implications of the Life Cycle-Permanent Income Hypothesis: Theory and Evidence," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 86(6), pages 971-87, December.
- Masao Ogaki & Jonathan David Ostry & Carmen Reinhart, 1995.
"Saving Behavior in Low- and Middle -Income Developing Countries: A Comparison,"
IMF Working Papers
95/3, International Monetary Fund.
- Masao Ogaki & Jonathan D. Ostry & Carmen M. Reinhart, 1996. "Saving Behavior in Low- and Middle-Income Developing Countries: A Comparison," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 43(1), pages 38-71, March.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Ogaki, Masao & Ostry, Jonathan, 1996. "Saving Behavior in Low- and Middle-Income Developing Countries: A Comparison," MPRA Paper 6978, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Calvo, Guillermo A. & Vegh, Carlos A., 1994.
"Stabilization dynamics and backward-looking contracts,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 43(1), pages 59-84, February.
- Carlos A. VÃ©gh Gramont & Guillermo Calvo, 1993. "Stabilization Dynamics and Backward-Looking Contracts," IMF Working Papers 93/29, International Monetary Fund.
- Sebastian Edwards, 1995. "Why are Saving Rates so Different Across Countries?: An International Comparative Analysis," NBER Working Papers 5097, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- N. Gregory Mankiw & David Romer & David N. Weil, 1992.
"A Contribution to the Empirics of Economic Growth,"
NBER Working Papers
3541, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gonzales Arrieta, Gerardo M., 1988. "Interest rates, savings, and growth in LDCs: An assessment of recent empirical research," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 16(5), pages 589-605, May.
- Eun Young Chah & Valerie A. Ramey & Ross M. Starr, 1991.
"Liquidity Constraints and Intertemporal Consumer Optimization: Theory and Evidence From Durable Goods,"
NBER Working Papers
3907, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Chah, Eun Young & Ramey, Valerie A & Starr, Ross M, 1995. "Liquidity Constraints and Intertemporal Consumer Optimization: Theory and Evidence from Durable Goods," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 27(1), pages 272-87, February.
- Alejandro López & Martha Misas & Hugo Oliveros, .
"Understanding Consumption in Colombia,"
Borradores de Economia
058, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Mankiw, N Gregory & Rotemberg, Julio J & Summers, Lawrence H, 1985.
"Intertemporal Substitution in Macroeconomics,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 100(1), pages 225-51, February.
- Deaton, A., 1989. "Saving in Developing Contries: Theory and Review," Papers 144, Princeton, Woodrow Wilson School - Development Studies.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Ostry, Jonathan, 1995.
"El ahorro y 1a tasa de interes real en los paises en desarrollo
[Saving and the Real Interest Rate in Developing Countries]," MPRA Paper 13733, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Gavin, Michael, 1990. "Structural adjustment to a terms of trade disturbance : The role of relative prices," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(3-4), pages 217-243, May.
- Calvo, Guillermo A., 1983. "Staggered prices in a utility-maximizing framework," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 383-398, September.
- Atish R. Ghosh & Jonathan D. Ostry, 1994.
"Export Instability and the External Balance in Developing Countries,"
IMF Staff Papers,
Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 41(2), pages 214-235, June.
- Atish R. Ghosh & Jonathan David Ostry, 1994. "Export Instability and the External Balance in Developing Countries," IMF Working Papers 94/8, International Monetary Fund.
- Alejandro Gaviria, 1993. "El ahorro privado y los términos de intercambio: el caso colombiano," ENSAYOS SOBRE POLÍTICA ECONÓMICA, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA - ESPE.
- Franco Modigliani, 1957. "Introduction," NBER Chapters, in: Problems of Capital Formation: Concepts, Measurement, and Controlling Factors, pages 3-9 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Calvo, Guillermo & Vegh, Carlos, 1994.
"La tasa de cambio real como meta de política: teoría y evidencia
[Targeting the real exchange rate: Theory and evidence]," MPRA Paper 13468, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Carmen M Reinhart & Guillermo A Calvo & Carlos Vegh, 1994. "La Tasa De Cambio Real Como Meta De Política Teoría Y Evidencia," ENSAYOS SOBRE POLÍTICA ECONÓMICA, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA - ESPE.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Ostry, Jonathan, 1991. "Private Saving and Terms of Trade Shocks," MPRA Paper 13716, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Jonathan D. Ostry, 1988. "The Balance of Trade, Terms of Trade, and Real Exchange Rate: An Intertemporal Optimizing Framework," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 35(4), pages 541-573, December.
- Guillermo Calvo & Carlos A. VÃ©gh Gramont, 1990. "Interest Rate Targeting In A Small Open Economy: The Predetermined Exchange Rates Case," IMF Working Papers 90/21, International Monetary Fund.
- Guillermo Calvo & Carlos A. VÃ©gh Gramont, 1990. "Credibility and the Dynamics of Stabilization Policy: A Basic Framework," IMF Working Papers 90/110, International Monetary Fund.
- Cardenas, Mauricio & Escobar, Andres, 1998.
"Saving determinants in Colombia: 1925-1994,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 57(1), pages 5-44, October.
- Guataqui, Juan Carlos & García-Suaza, Andrés Felipe & Rodríguez-Acosta, Mauricio, 2009. "Ahorro para el retiro en Colombia: patrones y determinantes," DOCUMENTOS DE TRABAJO 005792, UNIVERSIDAD DEL ROSARIO.
- Cardenas, Mauricio & Barrera, Felipe, 1997. "On the effectiveness of capital controls: The experience of Colombia during the 1990s," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 54(1), pages 27-57, October.
- Luis Fernando Melo & Franz A.Hamann, .
"Inflación Básica.Una Estimación Basada en Modelos VAR Estructurales,"
Borradores de Economia
093, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Luis Fernando Melo Velandia & Franz Hamann Salcedo, 1998. "Inflacion Basica. Una Estimacion Basada En Modelos Var Estructurales," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 002848, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Camilo Millán).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.