Saving determinants in Colombia: 1925-1994
AbstractThis paper analyzes the determinants of savings in Colombia using the framework of an intertemporal model. National saving partially responds to temporary changes in output, according to the permanent income hypothesis. Higher government expenditures (in relation to their permanent level) are associated with lower national saving, refuting the existence of Ricardian equivalence. The paper also tests other common hypotheses in regard to saving behavior. In particular, we find that changes in national savings and changes in investment are perfectly correlated, and that savings cause growth (in the Granger sense). The results also indicate that increases in urbanization and age dependency have had a significantly negative effect on private savings in Colombia. Finally, we find that much of the recent reduction in private savings can be accounted for by the increase in current government consumption, as well as by the effects of higher taxation.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Development Economics.
Volume (Year): 57 (1998)
Issue (Month): 1 (October)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/devec
Other versions of this item:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David Bunting, 1991. "Savings and the Distribution of Income," Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 14(1), pages 3-22, October.
- Martin Feldstein, 1982.
"Domestic Saving and International Capital Movements in the Long Run and the Short Run,"
NBER Working Papers
0947, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Feldstein, Martin, 1983. "Domestic saving and international capital movements in the long run and the short run," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 21(1-2), pages 129-151.
- Martin Feldstein, 1991. "Domestic Saving and International Capital Movements in the Long Run and the Short Run," NBER Chapters, in: International Volatility and Economic Growth: The First Ten Years of The International Seminar on Macroeconomics, pages 331-353 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sebastian Edwards, 1995. "Why are Saving Rates so Different Across Countries?: An International Comparative Analysis," NBER Working Papers 5097, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jansen, W.J. & Schulze, G.G., 1993.
"Theory-Based Measurement of the Saving-Investment Correlation with an Application to Norway,"
9302-g, Erasmus University of Rotterdam - Institute for Economic Research.
- Jansen, W Jos & Schulze, Gunther G, 1996. "Theory-Based Measurement of the Saving-Investment Correlation with an Application to Norway," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 34(1), pages 116-32, January.
- Della Valle, Philip A & Oguchi, Noriyoshi, 1976. "Distribution, the Aggregate Consumption Function, and the Level of Economic Development: Some Cross-Country Results," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 84(6), pages 1325-34, December.
- Myers, Stewart C. & Majluf, Nicholas S., 1984. "Corporate financing and investment decisions when firms have information that investors do not have," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 187-221, June.
- Myers, Stewart C. & Majluf, Nicolás S., 1945-, 1984. "Corporate financing and investment decisions when firms have information that investors do not have," Working papers 1523-84., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Giovannini, Alberto, 1985. "Saving and the real interest rate in LDCs," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(2-3), pages 197-217, August.
- Frankel, Jeffrey A., 1989.
"Quantifying International Capital Mobility in the 1980s,"
Department of Economics, Working Paper Series
qt4fw7c7bh, Department of Economics, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Jeffrey A. Frankel, 1991. "Quantifying International Capital Mobility in the 1980s," NBER Chapters, in: National Saving and Economic Performance, pages 227-270 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jeffrey A. Frankel, 1989. "Quantifying International Capital Mobility in the 1980s," NBER Working Papers 2856, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Menchik, Paul L & David, Martin, 1983. "Income Distribution, Lifetime Savings, and Bequests," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 73(4), pages 672-90, September.
- Takeo Hoshi & Anil Kashyap & David Scharfstein, 1989.
"Corporate structure, liquidity, and investment: evidence from Japanese industrial groups,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
82, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Hoshi, Takeo & Kashyap, Anil & Scharfstein, David, 1991. "Corporate Structure, Liquidity, and Investment: Evidence from Japanese Industrial Groups," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 106(1), pages 33-60, February.
- Mauricio Cárdenas & Mauricio Olivera, 1995. "La Crítica de Lucas y la inversión en Colombia: Nueva Evidencia," ENSAYOS SOBRE POLÍTICA ECONÓMICA, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA - ESPE.
- Alejandro López & Martha Misas & Hugo Oliveros, .
"Understanding Consumption in Colombia,"
Borradores de Economia
058, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Corbo, Vittorio & Schmidt-Hebbel, Klaus, 1991.
"Public policies and saving in developing countries,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 36(1), pages 89-115, July.
- Corbo, Vittorio & Schmidt-Hebbel, Klaus, 1991. "Public policies and saving in developing countries," Policy Research Working Paper Series 574, The World Bank.
- Musgrave, Philip, 1980. "Income Distribution and the Aggregate Consumption Function," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 88(3), pages 504-25, June.
- Juan Carlos Echeverry, .
"The Fall in Colombian Savings During the 1990s. Theory and Evidence,"
Borradores de Economia
061, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Juan Carlos Echeverry, 1996. "The Fall in Colombian savings during the 1990s. Theory and evidence," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 003593, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Maurice Obstfeld & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 1996. "Foundations of International Macroeconomics," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262150476, December.
- Cardenas, Mauricio, 1994. "Stabilization and redistribution of coffee revenues: A political economy model of commodity marketing boards," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 44(2), pages 351-380, August.
- Masao Ogaki & Jonathan D. Ostry & Carmen M. Reinhart, 1996.
"Saving Behavior in Low- and Middle-Income Developing Countries: A Comparison,"
IMF Staff Papers,
Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 43(1), pages 38-71, March.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Ogaki, Masao & Ostry, Jonathan, 1996. "Saving Behavior in Low- and Middle-Income Developing Countries: A Comparison," MPRA Paper 6978, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Merton H. Miller & Franco Modigliani, 1961. "Dividend Policy, Growth, and the Valuation of Shares," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 34, pages 411.
- Steven N. Kaplan & Luigi Zingales, 1995. "Do Financing Constraints Explain Why Investment is Correlated with Cash Flow?," NBER Working Papers 5267, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Stewart C. Myers & Nicholas S. Majluf, 1984. "Corporate Financing and Investment Decisions When Firms Have InformationThat Investors Do Not Have," NBER Working Papers 1396, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Adenutsi, Deodat E., 2010. "Financial development, bank savings mobilization and economic performance in Ghana: evidence from a multivariate structural VAR," MPRA Paper 29571, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Mondher bellalah & Olivier Levyne & Omar Masood, 2013. "Does co-integration and causal relationship exist between the non-stationary variables for Chinese bank’s profitability? Empirical evidence," THEMA Working Papers 2013-14, THEMA (THéorie Economique, Modélisation et Applications), Université de Cergy-Pontoise.
- Ghizlan Loumrhari, 2014. "Ageing, Longevity and Savings: The Case of Morocco," International Journal of Economics and Financial Issues, Econjournals, vol. 4(2), pages 344-352.
- Kelly, Roger & Mavrotas, George, 2003. "Financial Sector Development - Futile or Fruitful? An Examination of the Determinants of Savings in Sri Lanka," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Lavan Mahadeva & Javier Gómez Pineda, .
"The international cycle and Colombian monetary policy,"
Borradores de Economia
557, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Lavan Mahadeva & Javier Gómez Pineda, 2009. "The international cycle and Colombian monetary policy," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 005406, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Loumrhari, Ghizlan, 2013.
"Vieillissement démographique, longévité et épargne. Le cas du Maroc
[Ageing population, longevity and save. The case of Morocco]," MPRA Paper 50649, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Quartey, Peter, 2005. "Financial Sector Development, Savings Mobilization and Poverty Reduction in Ghana," Working Paper Series RP2005/71, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Omar Masood & Priya Darshini Pun Thapa & Olivier Levyne & Frederic Teulon & Rabeb Triki, 2014. "Does Co-integration and Causal Relationship Exist between the Non- stationary Variables for Chinese Bank’s Profitability? An Empirical Evidence," Working Papers 2014-249, Department of Research, Ipag Business School.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.