The Rationale Of Bank Lending In Pre-Crisis Thailand
AbstractA data set of 560 credit files from Thai commercial banks is compiled. The loans granted between 1992 and 1996 follow a pattern known from mature markets as a similar set of variables explains much of the variance in interest rate spread. A second finding is the expected higher importance of "relationship banking". Third, risk is controlled via credit availability and not via pricing. Fourth, the ex post information about riskiness reveals that banks could have made better use of available information. Overall, the problem was not excessive lending to firms with which the lenders had close relationships, but rather one of fully recognizing the risk factors.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Bonn, Center for Development Research (ZEF) in its series Discussion Papers with number 18733.
Date of creation: 2003
Date of revision:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Lukas Menkhoff & Chodechai Suwanaporn, 2007.
"On the rationale of bank lending in pre-crisis Thailand,"
Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 39(9), pages 1077-1089.
- Menkhoff, Lukas & Chodechai Suwanaporn, Chodechai, 2005. "On the Rationale of Bank Lending in Pre-Crisis Thailand," Diskussionspapiere der Wirtschaftswissenschaftlichen FakultÃ¤t der Leibniz UniversitÃ¤t Hannover dp-326, Leibniz Universität Hannover, Wirtschaftswissenschaftliche Fakultät.
- Muneesh Kumar & Padmasai Arora, 2010. "Bank efficiency measurement using alternative techniques of frontier analysis: evidence from India," Afro-Asian Journal of Finance and Accounting, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 2(1), pages 40-69.
- Brick, Ivan E. & Palia, Darius, 2007. "Evidence of jointness in the terms of relationship lending," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 452-476, July.
- Menkhoff, Lukas & Suwanaporn, Chodechai, 2007.
"10 Years after the Crisis: Thailand's Financial System Reform,"
Diskussionspapiere der Wirtschaftswissenschaftlichen FakultÃ¤t der Leibniz UniversitÃ¤t Hannover
dp-356, Leibniz Universität Hannover, Wirtschaftswissenschaftliche Fakultät.
- Menkhoff, Lukas & Suwanaporn, Chodechai, 2007. "10 Years after the crisis: Thailand's financial system reform," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 4-20, February.
- Lukas Menkhoff & Doris Neuberger & Chodechai Suwanaporn, 2005.
"Collateral-Based Lending in Emerging Markets: Evidence from Thailand,"
- Menkhoff, Lukas & Neuberger, Doris & Suwanaporn, Chodechai, 2006. "Collateral-based lending in emerging markets: Evidence from Thailand," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 1-21, January.
- Chantapong, Saovanee & Menkhoff, Lukas, 2005. "Cost Efficiency of Domestic and Foreign Banks in Thailand: Evidence from Panel Data," Proceedings of the German Development Economics Conference, Kiel 2005 9, Verein für Socialpolitik, Research Committee Development Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.