Bad banking in Thailand? An empirical analysis of macro indicators
AbstractIt appears to be common wisdom that the basic cause of Thailand's crisis is its extraordinarily weak financial institutions. The article questions this proposition from an empirical viewpoint. It is well established that the long-term performance of Thailand's financial system is favourable. The insight from moral hazard indicators is unexpected regarding the bad banking proposition, although not compelling. Finally, the liberalisation process produced inadequately addressed risks. However, this also applies to experienced and well-regulated foreign banks. It is argued that the facts provided can be better explained in a framework of system change than by bad banking in Thailand.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Journal of Development Studies.
Volume (Year): 36 (2000)
Issue (Month): 5 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/FJDS20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Hübler, Olaf Hübler & Menkhoff, Lukas & Suwanaporn, Chodechai, 2007.
"Financial Liberalisation in Emerging Markets: How Does Bank Lending Change?,"
Hannover Economic Papers (HEP)
dp-364, Leibniz Universität Hannover, Wirtschaftswissenschaftliche Fakultät.
- Olaf Hübler & Lukas Menkhoff & Chodechai Suwanaporn, 2008. "Financial Liberalisation in Emerging Markets: How Does Bank Lending Change?," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 31(3), pages 393-415, 03.
- Lukas Menkhoff & Chodechai Suwanaporn, 2007.
"On the rationale of bank lending in pre-crisis Thailand,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 39(9), pages 1077-1089.
- Menkhoff, Lukas & Chodechai Suwanaporn, Chodechai, 2005. "On the Rationale of Bank Lending in Pre-Crisis Thailand," Hannover Economic Papers (HEP) dp-326, Leibniz Universität Hannover, Wirtschaftswissenschaftliche Fakultät.
- Menkhoff, Lukas & Suwanaporn, Chodechai, 2007.
"10 Years after the crisis: Thailand's financial system reform,"
Journal of Asian Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 4-20, February.
- Menkhoff, Lukas & Suwanaporn, Chodechai, 2007. "10 Years after the Crisis: Thailand's Financial System Reform," Hannover Economic Papers (HEP) dp-356, Leibniz Universität Hannover, Wirtschaftswissenschaftliche Fakultät.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.