Interest rate and exchange rate exposures of banking institutions in pre-crisis Korea
AbstractThis study empirically investigates interest rate and exchange rate exposures of banking institutions in pre-crisis Korea. Using the sensitivity of stock returns as a measure of the exposure, it is shown that Korean commercial banks and merchant banking corporations had been significantly exposed to both interest rate and exchange rate risks, and that the subsequent profitability of commercial banks was significantly associated with the degree of pre-crisis exposure. The evidence suggests that, along with the negative exposure of banking institutions, the sharp depreciation of the Korean won and high interest rates at the end of 1997 further deteriorated the banking sector's capital adequacy worsening the financial crisis. The Korean case highlights the importance of upgrading financial supervision and risk management practices as a precondition for successful financial liberalization.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Economics.
Volume (Year): 36 (2004)
Issue (Month): 13 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEC20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- José Eduardo Gómez Gónzalez & Jorge Marío Uribe Gil & Hernán Piñeros Gordo, .
"Determinantes de la Rentabilidad de los Bancos en Colombia: ¿Importa la Tasa de Cambio?,"
Borradores de Economia
556, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- José Eduardo Gómez Gónzlaez & Jorge Mario Uribe Gil & Hernán Piñeros Gordo, 2009. "Determinantes de la Rentabilidad de los Bancos en Colombia: ¿Importa la Tasa de Cambio?," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 005405, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Eric Wong & Jim Wong & Phyllis Leung, 2008. "The Foreign Exchange Exposure of Chinese Banks," Working Papers 0807, Hong Kong Monetary Authority.
- Wong, Tak-Chuen & Wong, Jim & Leung, Phyllis, 2009. "The foreign exchange exposure of Chinese banks," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 174-182, June.
- Lukas Menkhoff & Chodechai Suwanaporn, 2007.
"On the rationale of bank lending in pre-crisis Thailand,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 39(9), pages 1077-1089.
- Menkhoff, Lukas & Chodechai Suwanaporn, Chodechai, 2005. "On the Rationale of Bank Lending in Pre-Crisis Thailand," Diskussionspapiere der Wirtschaftswissenschaftlichen FakultÃ¤t der Leibniz UniversitÃ¤t Hannover dp-326, Leibniz Universität Hannover, Wirtschaftswissenschaftliche Fakultät.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.