Family Composition And Off-Farm Participation Decisions In Israeli Farm Households
AbstractThis paper studies the dependence of the off-farm participation behavior of farm operators and their spouses on the demographic composition of the household. Specifically, we focus on farm families without parents, siblings or partners, and examine the effects of the existence and work decisions of elderly children of the farm couple. We find that both the father and the mother tend to reduce their participation in off-farm work as the number of elderly children rises. This result holds even after controlling for observed characteristics. We also find that the effect of elderly children stems from considerations related to both farm production and household production.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Department of Agricultural Economics and Management in its series Discussion Papers with number 14976.
Date of creation: 2001
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Faculty of Agriculture, Food and Environmental Quality Sciences Hebrew University of Jerusalem, P.O. Box 12, Rehovot 76100
Web page: http://departments.agri.huji.ac.il/economics/indexe.html
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Ayal Kimhi, 2004. "Family Composition and Off-Farm Participation Decisions in Israeli Farm Households," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 86(2), pages 502-512.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ayal Kimhi & Myoung-jae Lee, 1996. "Off-Farm Work Decisions of Farm Couples: Estimating Structural Simultaneous Equations with Ordered Categorical Dependent Variables," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 78(3), pages 687-698.
- Ayal Kimhi & Noga Nachlieli, 2001.
"Intergenerational Succession on Israeli Family Farms,"
Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 52(2), pages 42-58.
- Kimhi, Ayal & Nachlieli, Noga, 1998. "Intergenerational Succession In Israeli Family Farms," 1998 Annual meeting, August 2-5, Salt Lake City, UT 20811, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Kimhi, Ayal, 1996. "Demographic Composition of Farm Households and Its Effect on Time Allocation," Journal of Population Economics, Springer, vol. 9(4), pages 429-39, November.
- Ayal Kimhi, 1996. "Demographic composition of farm households and its effect on time allocation," Journal of Population Economics, Springer, vol. 9(4), pages 429-439.
- Tokle, J. G. & Huffman, Wallace, 1991. "Local Economic Conditions and Wage Labor Decisions of Farm and Rural Nonfarm Couples," Staff General Research Papers 10988, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Shishko, Robert & Rostker, Bernard, 1976. "The Economics of Multiple Job Holding," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 66(3), pages 298-308, June.
- Benjamin, Catherine & Kimhi, Ayal, 2003.
"Farm Work, Off-Farm Work, And Hired Farm Labor: Estimating A Discrete-Choice Model Of French Farm Couples' Labor Decisions,"
14990, Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Department of Agricultural Economics and Management.
- Catherine Benjamin & Ayal Kimhi, 2006. "Farm work, off-farm work, and hired farm labour: estimating a discrete-choice model of French farm couples' labour decisions," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 33(2), pages 149-171, June.
- Benjamin, Catherine & Kimhi, Ayal, 2003. "Farm Work, Off-Farm Work, And Hired Farm Labor: Estimating A Discrete-Choice Model Of French Farm Couples' Labor Decisions," 2003 Annual meeting, July 27-30, Montreal, Canada 22150, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Bhaumik, Sumon Kumar & Dimova, Ralitza & Nugent, Jeffrey B., 2011. "Off-farm labor supply and labor markets in rapidly changing circumstances: Bulgaria during transition," Economic Systems, Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 378-389, September.
- Bhaumik, Sumon K. & Dimova, Ralitza & Nugent, Jeffrey B., 2006.
"Pulls, Pushes and Entitlement Failures in Labor Markets: Does the State of Development Matter?,"
IZA Discussion Papers
2258, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Sumon Kumar Bhaumik & Ralitza Dimova & Jeffrey B. Nugent, 2006. "Pulls, Pushes and Entitlement Failures in Labor Markets: Does the State of Development Matter?," CEDI Discussion Paper Series 06-07, Centre for Economic Development and Institutions(CEDI), Brunel University.
- SHI, Xiaoping & Heerink, Nico & Qu, Futian, 2007. "Choices between different off-farm employment sub-categories: An empirical analysis for Jiangxi Province, China," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 438-455.
- Falkowski, Jan & Jakubowski, Maciej & Strawinski, Pawel, 2011.
"Returns from Income Strategies in Rural Poland,"
2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland
114364, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Jan Fałkowski & Maciej Jakubowski & Paweł Strawiński, 2011. "Returns from income strategies in rural Poland," Working Papers 2011-05, Faculty of Economic Sciences, University of Warsaw.
- Falkowski, Jan & Jakubowski, Maciej & Strawinski, Pawel, 2013. "Returns from Income Strategies in Rural Poland," Factor Markets Working Papers 178, Centre for European Policy Studies.
- Kimhi, Ayal, 2001. "Off-Farm Participation And Family Composition: Comparing 1995 With 1981 In Moshavim," Discussion Papers 14988, Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Department of Agricultural Economics and Management.
- Fernandez-Cornejo, Jorge & Mishra, Ashok K. & Nehring, Richard F. & Hendricks, Chad & Southern, Malaya & Gregory, Alexandra, 2007. "Off-Farm Income, Technology Adoption, And Farm Economic Performance," Economic Research Report 7234, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Salvioni, Cristina & Sciulli, Dario & Parodi, Giuliana, 2008. "Do Caring Services Affect Off-Farm Work? Evidence from Italy," Agricultural Economics Review, Greek Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 9(2), June.
- Kimhi, Ayal & Rapaport, Eliel, 2001. "Time Allocation Between Farm And Off-Farm Activities In Israeli Farm Households - 1995," Discussion Papers 15002, Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Department of Agricultural Economics and Management.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.