Farm Work, Off-Farm Work, And Hired Farm Labor: Estimating A Discrete-Choice Model Of French Farm Couples' Labor Decisions
AbstractWe estimate jointly three types of discrete-choice labor decisions of farm couples: farm work, off-farm work, and hired farm labor. Using a 16-choice multinomial logit model, we find that operators' and spouses' farm labor are substitutes. Hired farm labor increases with farmers' qualifications, perhaps substituting for the couples' labor inputs. Other adults in the households substitute for the farm labor input of the farm couple and hired workers.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association) in its series 2003 Annual meeting, July 27-30, Montreal, Canada with number 22150.
Date of creation: 2003
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
Labor and Human Capital;
Other versions of this item:
- Catherine Benjamin & Ayal Kimhi, 2006. "Farm work, off-farm work, and hired farm labour: estimating a discrete-choice model of French farm couples' labour decisions," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 33(2), pages 149-171, June.
- Benjamin, Catherine & Kimhi, Ayal, 2003. "Farm Work, Off-Farm Work, And Hired Farm Labor: Estimating A Discrete-Choice Model Of French Farm Couples' Labor Decisions," Discussion Papers 14990, Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Department of Agricultural Economics and Management.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Huffman, Wallace E., 1991. "Agricultural Household Models: Survey and Critique," Staff General Research Papers 11008, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Ahituv, Avner & Kimhi, Ayal, 2002. "Off-farm work and capital accumulation decisions of farmers over the life-cycle: the role of heterogeneity and state dependence," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 68(2), pages 329-353, August.
- Ayal Kimhi, 1999. "Estimation of an endogenous switching regression model with discrete dependent variables: Monte-Carlo analysis and empirical application of three estimators," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 24(2), pages 225-241.
- Deolalikar, Anil B & Vijverberg, Wim P M, 1987. "A Test of Heterogeneity of Family and Hired Labour in Asian Agriculture," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 49(3), pages 291-305, August.
- Ayal Kimhi & Myoung-jae Lee, 1996. "Off-Farm Work Decisions of Farm Couples: Estimating Structural Simultaneous Equations with Ordered Categorical Dependent Variables," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 78(3), pages 687-698.
- Kimhi, Ayal, 2001.
"Family Composition And Off-Farm Participation Decisions In Israeli Farm Households,"
14976, Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Department of Agricultural Economics and Management.
- Ayal Kimhi, 2004. "Family Composition and Off-Farm Participation Decisions in Israeli Farm Households," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 86(2), pages 502-512.
- Castro Campos, Bente, 2013. "Human capital differences or labor market discrimination? The occupational outcomes of ethnic minorities in rural Guizhou (China)," Studies on the Agricultural and Food Sector in Central and Eastern Europe, Leibniz Institute of Agricultural Development in Central and Eastern Europe (IAMO), volume 73, number 73, July.
- Lagerkvist, Carl Johan & Larsen, Karin & Olson, Kent D., 2006. "Off-farm income and farm capital accumulation: a farm-level data analysis," 2006 Annual meeting, July 23-26, Long Beach, CA 21480, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Tocco, Barbara & Davidova, Sophia & Bailey, Alastair, 2012. "Labour Adjustments In Agriculture: Evidence From Romania," 132nd Seminar, October 25-27, 2012, Skopje, Republic of Macedonia 139503, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Tocco, Barbara & Davidova, Sophia & Bailey, Alastair Creation-Date: 2012-02, . "Supply and Demand Side Limitations Affecting the Structure of Agriculture and the Rural Economy," Factor Markets Working Papers 124, Centre for European Policy Studies.
- Darpeix, Aurelie & Bignebat, Celine & Perrier-Cornet, Philippe, 2009. "Demand for seasonal wage labour in agriculture: what does family farming hide?," 2009 Conference, August 16-22, 2009, Beijing, China 50956, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Wang, Xiaobing, 2007. "Labor market behavior of Chinese rural households during transition," Studies on the Agricultural and Food Sector in Central and Eastern Europe, Leibniz Institute of Agricultural Development in Central and Eastern Europe (IAMO), volume 42, number 92321, July.
- Tocco, Barbara & Davidova, Sophia & Bailey, Alastair, 2013. "The Impact of CAP Payments on the Exodus of Labour from Agriculture in Selected EU Member States," Factor Markets Working Papers 180, Centre for European Policy Studies.
- Tocco, Barbara & Davidova, Sophia & Bailey, Alastair Creation-Date: 2012-02, . "Key Issues in Agricultural Labour Markets: A Review of Major Studies and Project Reports on Agriculture and Rural Labour Markets," Factor Markets Working Papers 126, Centre for European Policy Studies.
- Salvioni, Cristina & Sciulli, Dario & Parodi, Giuliana, 2008. "Do Caring Services Affect Off-Farm Work? Evidence from Italy," Agricultural Economics Review, Greek Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 9(2), June.
- Mishra, Ashok K. & Chang, Hung-Hao, 2012. "Can off farm employment affect the privatization of social safety net? The case of self-employed farm households," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 94-101.
- Lien, Gudbrand D. & Kumbhakar, Subal C. & Hardaker, J. Brian, 2008. "Determinants Of Part-Time Farming And Its Effect On Farm Productivity And Efficiency," 107th Seminar, January 30-February 1, 2008, Sevilla, Spain 6701, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Olper, Alessandro & Raimondi, Valentina & Cavicchioli, Daniele & Vigani, Mauro, . "Reallocation of Agricultural Labor and Farm Subsidies: Evidence From the EU Regions," 2012 Conference, August 18-24, 2012, Foz do Iguacu, Brazil 126645, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.