Family Composition and Off-Farm Participation Decisions in Israeli Farm Households
AbstractThis article studies the relationship between the off-farm participation behavior of farm operators and their spouses and the demographic composition of the household. I focus on farm families without parents, siblings or partners, and examine the effects of the existence of elderly children of the farm couple. I find that both the father and the mother tend to reduce their participation in off-farm work as the number of elderly children rises. This result holds even after controlling for observed characteristics. I also find that the effect of elderly children stems from considerations related to both farm production and household production.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by EconWPA in its series Labor and Demography with number 0307001.
Date of creation: 09 Jul 2003
Date of revision:
Note: Type of Document - Word; prepared on IBM PC
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://220.127.116.11
Off-Farm Participation; Family Composition; Adult Children; Multivariate Probit; Quasi-Maximum Likelihood.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- J22 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Time Allocation and Labor Supply
- Q12 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Micro Analysis of Farm Firms, Farm Households, and Farm Input Markets
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-LAB-2003-07-13 (Labour Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ayal Kimhi, 1996. "Demographic composition of farm households and its effect on time allocation," Journal of Population Economics, Springer, vol. 9(4), pages 429-439.
- van Soest, Arthur & Gong, Xiaodong, 2000.
"Family Structure and Female Labour Supply in Mexico City,"
IZA Discussion Papers
214, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Xiaodong Gong & Arthur van Soest, 2002. "Family Structure and Female Labor Supply in Mexico City," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 37(1), pages 163-191.
- Gong, X. & Soest, A.H.O. van, 1997. "Family Structure and Female Labour Supply in Mexico City," Discussion Paper 1997-114, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Huffman, Wallace & Lange, Mark D., 1989.
"Off-Farm Work Decisions of Husbands and Wives: Joint Decision Making,"
Staff General Research Papers
10986, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Huffman, Wallace E & Lange, Mark D, 1989. "Off-Farm Work Decisions of Husbands and Wives: Joint Decision Making," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 71(3), pages 471-80, August.
- Ahituv, Avner & Kimhi, Ayal, 2002. "Off-farm work and capital accumulation decisions of farmers over the life-cycle: the role of heterogeneity and state dependence," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 68(2), pages 329-353, August.
- Huffman, Wallace E., 1991. "Agricultural Household Models: Survey and Critique," Staff General Research Papers 11008, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- John L. Newman & Paul J. Gertler, 1994. "Family Productivity, Labor Supply, and Welfare in a Low Income Country," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 29(4), pages 989-1026.
- Kimhi, Ayal, 1998. "Institutional Environment, Ideological Commitment, and Farmers' Time Allocation: The Case of Israeli Moshavim," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 47(1), pages 27-44, October.
- J. S. Butler & Andrew Horowitz, 2000. "Labour supply and wages among nuclear and extended households: The Surinamese experiment," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(5), pages 1-29.
- Kimhi, Ayal, 1996. "Demographic Composition of Farm Households and Its Effect on Time Allocation," Journal of Population Economics, Springer, vol. 9(4), pages 429-39, November.
- Shishko, Robert & Rostker, Bernard, 1976. "The Economics of Multiple Job Holding," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 66(3), pages 298-308, June.
- Ayal Kimhi & Myoung-jae Lee, 1996. "Off-Farm Work Decisions of Farm Couples: Estimating Structural Simultaneous Equations with Ordered Categorical Dependent Variables," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 78(3), pages 687-698.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.