The Impact of Information on the Willingness-to-Pay for Labeled Organic Food Products
AbstractOrganic labels potentially play an important role in shaping consumer preferences for organic food products. Information implied by the presence of labels can be used by consumers to facilitate their consumption decisions. Therefore, we investigate the influence of the provision of objective information on the willingness-to-pay of consumers for labeled organic apples in Flanders (Belgium). Initially, we find that Flemish consumers are willing to pay a positive price premium of approximately 33 eurocent per kilogram for labeled organic apples. After the provision of information on the actual environmental and health effects of organic apple production, this price premium becomes even more pronounced and amounts to approximately 56 eurocent per kilogram.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by European Association of Agricultural Economists in its series 2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland with number 115986.
Date of creation: 02 Sep 2011
Date of revision:
Demand and Price Analysis;
Other versions of this item:
- Sandra Rousseau & Liesbet Vranken, 2011. "The Impact of Information on the Willingness-to-Pay for Labeled Organic Food Products," LICOS Discussion Papers 28411, LICOS - Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance, KU Leuven.
- Rousseau, Sandra & Vranken, Liesbet, 2011. "The Impact of Information on the Willingness-to-Pay for Labeled Organic Food Products," Working Papers 2011/04, Hogeschool-Universiteit Brussel, Faculteit Economie en Management.
- Q01 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - General - - - Sustainable Development
- Q51 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Environmental Economics - - - Valuation of Environmental Effects
- D12 - Microeconomics - - Household Behavior - - - Consumer Economics: Empirical Analysis
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Clark, Christopher D. & Russell, Clifford S., 2004. "Ecolabels And Economic Efficiency: Some Preliminary Results," 2004 Annual meeting, August 1-4, Denver, CO 20338, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Wesley Nimon & John C. Beghin, 1999.
"Eco-Labels and International Trade in Textiles,"
Food and Agricultural Policy Research Institute (FAPRI) Publications
99-wp221, Food and Agricultural Policy Research Institute (FAPRI) at Iowa State University.
- Wesley Nimon & John C. Beghin, 1999. "Eco-Labels and International Trade in Textiles," Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications 99-wp221, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- Jeffrey R. Blend & Eileen O. van Ravenswaay, 1999. "Measuring Consumer Demand for Ecolabeled Apples," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 81(5), pages 1072-1077.
- Bjorner, Thomas Bue & Hansen, L.G.Lars Garn & Russell, Clifford S., 2004.
"Environmental labeling and consumers' choice--an empirical analysis of the effect of the Nordic Swan,"
Journal of Environmental Economics and Management,
Elsevier, vol. 47(3), pages 411-434, May.
- Thomas Bue Bjorner & Lars Garn Hansen & Clifford S. Russell, 2002. "Environmental Labelling and Consumer's Choice - An Empirical Analysis of the Effect of the Nordic Swan," Vanderbilt University Department of Economics Working Papers 0203, Vanderbilt University Department of Economics.
- Loureiro, Maria L. & McCluskey, Jill J. & Mittelhammer, Ronald C., 2001. "Assessing Consumer Preferences For Organic, Eco-Labeled, And Regular Apples," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 26(02), December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.