Consumers' Willingness to Pay for Biotech Foods in China
AbstractBased on a large-scale consumer survey, this study employs a semi-double-bounded dichotomous choice model to estimate the mean willingness to pay (WTP) for biotech foods in China. The study also accounts for the effects of respondents' characteristics on the probability of purchasing biotech foods and WTP. Analyses focus on biotech soybean oil and insect-resistant biotech rice.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association) in its series 2005 Annual meeting, July 24-27, Providence, RI with number 19569.
Date of creation: 2005
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
Biotech foods; willingness to pay; China; contingent valuation method; semi-double-bounded dichotomous choice model; Consumer/Household Economics;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Grimsrud, Kristine M. & McCluskey, Jill J. & Loureiro, Maria L. & Wahl, Thomas I., 2002. "Consumer Attitudes Towards Genetically Modified Foods In Norway," 2002 Annual meeting, July 28-31, Long Beach, CA 19818, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Lin, William W. & Somwaru, Agapi & Tuan, Francis C. & Huang, Jikun & Bai, Junfei, 2004. "Consumer Attitudes Toward Biotech Foods in China," 2004 Annual meeting, August 1-4, Denver, CO 20359, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Kaneko, Naoya & Chern, Wen S., 2003. "Consumer Acceptance Of Genetically Modified Foods: A Telephone Survey," 2003 Annual meeting, July 27-30, Montreal, Canada 21999, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- McCluskey, Jill J. & Grimsrud, Kristine M. & Ouchi, Hiromi & Wahl, Thomas I., 2003. "Consumer Response to Genetically Modified Food Products in Japan," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 32(2), October.
- Price, Gregory K. & Lin, William W. & Falck-Zepeda, Jose Benjamin & Fernandez-Cornejo, Jorge, 2003. "Size And Distribution Of Market Benefits From Adopting Biotech Crops," Technical Bulletins 33562, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Lusk, Jayson L., 2002.
"Effects Of Cheap Talk On Consumer Willingness-To-Pay For Golden Rice,"
2002 Annual meeting, July 28-31, Long Beach, CA
19597, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Jayson L. Lusk, 2003. "Effects of Cheap Talk on Consumer Willingness-to-Pay for Golden Rice," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 85(4), pages 840-856.
- Shi Zheng & Pei Xu & Zhigang Wang & Shunfeng Song, 2012. "Willingness to pay for traceable pork: evidence from Beijing, China," China Agricultural Economic Review, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 4(2), pages 200-215, May.
- Moro, Daniele, 2008. "Market And Policy Issues In Micro-Econometric Demand Modeling," 107th Seminar, January 30-February 1, 2008, Sevilla, Spain 6500, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Chen, Wei & Marchant, Mary A. & Song, Baohui, 2009. "Impacts of China's Food Consumption on U.S. Soybean Exports," 2009 Annual Meeting, January 31-February 3, 2009, Atlanta, Georgia 46820, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
- Zhong, Funing & Chen, Xi, 2009. "How does biotech food labelling affect consumers’ purchasing preferences and the market? Evidence from urban China," MPRA Paper 14702, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.