Provincial Characteristics and Foreign Direct Investment Location Decision within China
AbstractUsing panel data, a multiple regression model of the location decision of foreign direct investment (FDI) in China is developed and estimated. The results for the period of 1987-94 of China's 29 provinces indicate that provinces with higher GDP, higher per capita income, higher level of accumulated FDI stock, and more intensive transport infrastructure attracted relatively more FDI inflows, while higher efficiency wages deterred FDI inflows. In addition, the regional differentiation in the timing of implementing the open policies for FDI had a strong impact on the provincial distribution of FDI inflows. Finally the implementation of a series of policy measures in the early 1990s had a very strong positive effect on attracting FDI inflows into China across all provinces.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Adelaide, Chinese Economies Research Centre in its series Chinese Economies Research Centre (CERC) Working Papers with number 1997-16.
Date of creation: 1997
Date of revision:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Normaz Ismail, 2009. "The Determinant of Foreign Direct Investment in ASEAN: A Semi-Gravity Approach," Transition Studies Review, Springer, vol. 16(3), pages 710-722, October.
- Chen, George Shih-Ku, 2009.
"Determinants of Taiwanese investment in China: An agglomeration economies-based perspective,"
13894, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- George Shih-Ku Chen, 2009. "Determinants Of Taiwanese Investment In China: An Agglomeration Economies-Based Perspective," Monash Economics Working Papers 01-09, Monash University, Department of Economics.
- Adolfo Cristobal-Campoamor, 2008.
"International convergence and local divergence ,"
008-08, International School of Economics at TSU, Tbilisi, Republic of Georgia.
- Mataloni Jr., Raymond J., 2011. "The structure of location choice for new U.S. manufacturing investments in Asia-Pacific," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 46(2), pages 154-165, April.
- De Beule, Filip & Van Den Bulcke, Daniel & Xu, Luodan, 2006. "Backward linkages of foreign subsidiaries in Guangdong, China: A country-of-origin analysis," Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven urn:hdl:123456789/386124, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
- Roberto Basile, 2002.
"Acquisition versus greenfield investment: the location of foreign manufacturers in Italy,"
ISAE Working Papers
27, ISTAT - Italian National Institute of Statistics - (Rome, ITALY).
- Roberto, Basile, 2004. "Acquisition versus greenfield investment: the location of foreign manufacturers in Italy," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 3-25, January.
- De Beule, Filip, 2005. "Backward linkages of foreign subsidiaries in Guangdong, China: A country-of-origin analysis," Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven urn:hdl:123456789/383186, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
- De Beule, Filip & Van Den Bulcke, Daniel, 2005. "Upgrading China’s competitiveness: From special economic zones to science and technology clusters," Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven urn:hdl:123456789/383250, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
- Chen, George Shih-Ku, 2009. "Agglomeration economies and the location of Taiwanese investment in China," MPRA Paper 13896, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Jun Du & Sourafel Girma, . "Multinationals, Access to Finance and the Exports of Private Firms in China," Discussion Papers 08/03, University of Nottingham, GEP.
- De Beule, Filip & Van Den Bulcke, Daniel, 2005. "Upgrading China’s competitiveness: From special economic zones to science and technology clusters," Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven urn:hdl:123456789/242715, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
- Cassidy, John F. & Andreosso-O'Callaghan, Bernadette, 2006. "Spatial determinants of Japanese FDI in China," Japan and the World Economy, Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 512-527, December.
- Hemmer, Hans-Rimbert & Phuong Hoa, Nguyen Thi, 2002. "Contribution of foreign direct investment to poverty reduction: The case of Vietnam in the 1990s," Discussion Papers in Development Economics 30, Justus Liebig University Giessen, Institute for Development Economics.
- Christer Ljungwall & Martin Linde-Rahr, 2005. "Environmental Policy and the Location of Foreign Direct Investment in China," Governance Working Papers 22020, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dmitriy Kvasov).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.