Empirical analysis of price data in the delineation of the relevant geographical market in competition analysis
AbstractThis paper reviews a number of modern as well as classical econometric techniques suitable for empirically determining whether commodities in physically separated markets belong to the same geographical market. Even though the tools presented generalize to the delineation of the relevant product market our main focus is on the geographical delineation of markets. The analyses rely entirely on the use of price data of different types in an attempt to operationalize the so-called SSNIP methodology for price comparisons. In particular, the stationarity versus non-stationarity of price data appears important because otherwise spurious results can potentially occur. Both bivariate and multivariate price comparisons will be discussed. We also consider situations with data observations covering a relatively long period and where it is likely that structural changes have occurred in the sample period whereby the degree of market integration is likely to have changed. New techniques to deal with such recursive features will be suggested. For the methods presented a discussion of the practical problems and concerns facing the model builder are addressed.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus in its series Economics Working Papers with number 2003-9.
Date of creation:
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.econ.au.dk/afn/
Market delineation; SSNIP methodology; price test; competition analysis; price data;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models
- C32 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models
- D4 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- George J. Stigler & Robert A. Sherwin, 1983.
"The Extent of the Market,"
University of Chicago - George G. Stigler Center for Study of Economy and State
31, Chicago - Center for Study of Economy and State.
- Johansen, Soren, 1995. "Likelihood-Based Inference in Cointegrated Vector Autoregressive Models," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198774501.
- Dell'Anno, Roberto, . "Estimating the Shadow Economy in Italy: a Structural Equation Approach," Economics Working Papers 2003-7, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- Granger, Clive W J & Haldrup, Niels, 1997. "Separation in Cointegrated Systems and Persistent-Transitory Decompositions," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 59(4), pages 449-63, November.
- Forni, Mario, 2002.
"Using Stationarity Tests in Antitrust Market Definition,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3236, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Mario Forni, 2004. "Using Stationarity Tests in Antitrust Market Definition," American Law and Economics Review, Oxford University Press, vol. 6(2), pages 441-464.
- Nyblom, Jukka & Harvey, Andrew, 1999.
"Tests of Common Stochastic Trends,"
Cambridge Working Papers in Economics
9902, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Tom Engsted & Niels Haldrup & Boriss Siliverstovs, 2004.
"Long-run forecasting in multicointegrated systems,"
Journal of Forecasting,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 23(5), pages 315-335.
- Boris Siliverstovs & Tom Engsted & Niels Haldrup, . "Long-run forecasting in multicointegrated systems," Economics Working Papers 2002-15, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- Boriss Siliverstovs & Tom Engsted & Niels Haldrup, 2003. "Long-Run Forecasting in Multicointegrated Systems," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 381, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Siliverstovs, Boriss & Engsted, Tom & Haldrup, Niels, 2002. "Long-Run Forecasting in Multicointegrated Systems," Finance Working Papers 02-14, University of Aarhus, Aarhus School of Business, Department of Business Studies.
- Sleuwaegen, Leo & De Voldere, I & Pennings, E, 2001. "Globalization and the definition of the relevant geographic market in antitrust practices," Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven urn:hdl:123456789/85776, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
- Sleuwaegen, Leo & De Voldere, I & Schep, K, 1999. "Relevant market delineation with the use of strategic business information," Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven urn:hdl:123456789/85779, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
- Svarer, Michael, . "Determinants of Divorce in Denmark," Economics Working Papers 2002-19, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- Engle, Robert F & Granger, Clive W J, 1987. "Co-integration and Error Correction: Representation, Estimation, and Testing," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 251-76, March.
- Johansen, Soren, 1991. "Estimation and Hypothesis Testing of Cointegration Vectors in Gaussian Vector Autoregressive Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(6), pages 1551-80, November.
- Granger, C W J, 1969. "Investigating Causal Relations by Econometric Models and Cross-Spectral Methods," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 37(3), pages 424-38, July.
- Johansen, Soren, 1988. "Statistical analysis of cointegration vectors," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 231-254.
- Harvey, A. & Vasco Carvalho, 2002. "Models for Converging Economies," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 0216, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Haldrup, Niels & Møllgaard, Peter & Nielsen, Claus Kastberg, 2005. "Sequential versus simultaneous market," Working Papers 02-2005, Copenhagen Business School, Department of Economics.
- Eduardo P. S. Fiuza & Fabiana F.M. Tito, 2007. "Time Series Econometrics in a Post-Acquisition Antitrust Analysis: The Brazilian Iron Ore Market," Discussion Papers 1306, Instituto de Pesquisa Econômica Aplicada - IPEA.
- Willem Boshoff, 2006. "Quantitative competition analysis: Stationarity tests in geographic market definition," Working Papers 17/2006, Stellenbosch University, Department of Economics.
- Sanogo, Issa, 2008. "SPATIAL integration of the rice market: emprirical evidence from mid-west and far-west Nepal and the Nepalese-Indian border," MPRA Paper 14488, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Fiuza, Eduardo P.S. & Tito, Fabiana F.M., 2010. "Post-merger time series analysis: Iron ore mining," Resources Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 141-155, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.