Croatia's EU accession: socio-economic assessment of farm households and policy recommendations
AbstractCroatia is very close to meeting the requirements necessary for becoming a member of the European Union (EU). On February 6, 2008, the European Enlargement Commissioner Olli Rehn said that accession negotiations with Croatia are moving ahead well. As in all new member states (NMS), the agricultural sector and food processing chain are core issues within the negotiation process. Successful negotiation requires intimate knowledge of the issue at hand, including the socio-economic situation and the fears and strategies of the stakeholders, particularly small-scale farmers. This report attempts to close some of these knowledge gaps by reviewing Croatiaâs rural development dynamics and farm structures, as well as agricultural and rural policies. Based on an empirical research component, the report provides unique, detailed insights into the ongoing structural change in two typical rural regions of Croatia. Special focus will be placed on socio-economic developments within farm households. Farmersâ views, perceptions, and strategies are challenged by a competitiveness analysis of Croatiaâs farming sector, particularly in dairy farming. The opportunities and challenges for Croatiaâs rural regions are discussed vis-Ã -vis lessons learnt from the Slovenian accession experience. This executive summary provides a review of the major findings and policy recommendations. The recommendations follow those of the OECD in placing emphasis on regions rather than sectors and investments rather than subsidies in rural development policy. The recommendations refer to two important policy fields: (1) policies to develop, structurally adjust and diversify agriculture, and (2) territorial approaches for policies to create and secure employment (the wider rural economy). Main findings The findings for Croatia are derived from the analysis of secondary sector data as well as micro-economic data from approximately 140 farm households surveyed in 2007. Furthermore, a domestic resource
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoThis book is provided by Leibniz Institute of Agricultural Development in Central and Eastern Europe (IAMO) in its series Studies on the Agricultural and Food Sector in Central and Eastern Europe with number 53665 and published in 2009.
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Theodor-Lieser-Strasse 2, 06120 Halle(Saale)
Phone: (+49) (0) 345 / 29 28 0
Fax: (+49) (0) 345 / 29 28 199
Web page: http://www.iamo.de/
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Möllers, Judith & Zier, Patrick & Frohberg, Klaus & Buchenrieder, Gertrud & Bojnec, Stefan, 2009. "Croatia's EU Accession: Socio-economic Assessment of Farm Households and Policy Recommendations," MPRA Paper 17365, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- O18 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Urban, Rural, Regional, and Transportation Analysis; Housing; Infrastructure
- O13 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Agriculture; Natural Resources; Environment; Other Primary Products
- O12 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Microeconomic Analyses of Economic Development
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Miroslav Rednak & Stane Kavcic & Tina Volk & Emil Erjavec, 2003. "Complementary CAP Direct Payments from the National Budget and the Farm Income Issue in Slovenia," Eastern European Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 41(6), pages 26-42, January.
- Erjavec, Emil & Rednak, Miroslav & Volk, Tina, 1998. "The European Union enlargement - the case of agriculture in Slovenia," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 23(5), pages 395-409, October.
- Bryla, Pawel, 2005. "The Impact of SAPARD on the Behaviour of Farms and Food-Processing Enterprises in the Lodz Region," 94th Seminar, April 9-10, 2005, Ashford, UK 24419, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Frohberg, Klaus & Hartmann, Monika, 1997. "Comparing measures of competitiveness," IAMO Discussion Papers 2, Leibniz Institute of Agricultural Development in Central and Eastern Europe (IAMO).
- Michael Knogler & Volkhart Vincentz, 2004. "EU-Erweiterung : Die wirtschaftliche Beitrittsfähigkeit der Balkanländer," Working Papers 249, Institut für Ost- und Südosteuropaforschung (Institute for East and South-East European Studies).
- Jeroen Hinloopen & Charles van Marrewijk, 2008.
"Empirical relevance of the Hillman condition for revealed comparative advantage: 10 stylized facts,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 40(18), pages 2313-2328.
- Jeroen Hinloopen & Charles van Marrewijk, 2005. "Empirical Relevance of the Hillman Condition for Revealed Comparative Advantage: 10 Stylized Facts," Working Papers 05-24, Utrecht School of Economics.
- Arye Hillman, 1980. "Observations on the relation between “revealed comparative advantage” and comparative advantage as indicated by pre-trade relative prices," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 116(2), pages 315-321, June.
- Weingarten, Peter & Frohberg, Klaus & Winter, Etti & Schreiber, Catrin, 2003. "Quantitative analysis of the impacts of Croatia's agricultural trade policy on the agri-food sector," IAMO Discussion Papers 56, Leibniz Institute of Agricultural Development in Central and Eastern Europe (IAMO).
- Bojnec, Štefan, 2011. "Land Markets in the EU Candidate Countries of Croatia, Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia and Turkey," Factor Markets Working Papers 96, Centre for European Policy Studies.
- MÃ¶llers, Judith & Buchenrieder, Gertrud, 0. "Effects of Rural Non-farm Employment on Household Welfare and Income Distribution of Small Farms in Croatia," Quarterly Journal of International Agriculture, Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin, vol. 50.
- Pierre Boulanger & Emanuele Ferrari & Jerzy Michalek & Cristina Vinyes, 2013. "Analysis of the impact of Croatia's accession to the EU on the agri-food sectors. A focus on trade and agricultural policies," JRC-IPTS Working Papers JRC77246, Institute for Prospective and Technological Studies, Joint Research Centre.
- Bojnec, Štefan, 2011. "Agricultural and Rural Labour Markets in the EU Candidate Countries of Croatia, Former Yugoslav of Macedonia and Turkey," Factor Markets Working Papers 102, Centre for European Policy Studies.
- Buchenrieder, Gertrud & Hanf, Jon Henrich & Pieniadz, Agata, 2009. "20 years of transition in the agri-food sector," German Journal of Agricultural Economics, Humboldt-Universitaet zu Berlin, Department for Agricultural Economics, vol. 58(7).
- Boulanger, Pierre & Ferrari, Emanuele & Michalek, Jerzy & Philippidis, George & Vinyes, Cristina, 2013. "Modelling the Effects of Croatia's Accession to the EU: Trade and Agricultural Policies," 135th Seminar, August 28-30, 2013, Belgrade, Serbia 160373, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Klaus Frohberg & Patrick Zier & Judith Möllers & Gertrud Buchenrieder, 2010. "Croatia’s Dairy Sector—Can it Compete in the European Market?," International Advances in Economic Research, Springer, vol. 16(2), pages 223-236, May.
- Fritzsch, Jana & Möllers, Judith & Buchenrieder, Gertrud, 2011. "Employment diversification of farm households and structural change in the rural economy of the New Member States," IAMO Discussion Papers 134, Leibniz Institute of Agricultural Development in Central and Eastern Europe (IAMO).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.