Analysis of the impact of Croatia's accession to the EU on the agri-food sectors. A focus on trade and agricultural policies
AbstractThis report analyses the likely effects of Croatia's accession to the European Union (EU) on the agricultural and food sectors in terms of trade, production, employment and GDP for Croatia, the EU-27 and their main trading partners. Using a multi-country Computable General Equilibrium model (MAGNET) this study evaluates the impacts of the harmonisation of trade and agricultural policies that occur after this enlargement on July 1st, 2013. The results show that both Croatia's GDP and employment will slightly increase. The main conclusions point out significant market price effects as well as changes in trade patterns.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Institute for Prospective and Technological Studies, Joint Research Centre in its series JRC-IPTS Working Papers with number JRC77246.
Length: 41 pages
Date of creation: Jul 2013
Date of revision:
CGE; European integration; agricultural trade; agricultural policy;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C68 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Computable General Equilibrium Models
- Q17 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Agriculture in International Trade
- Q18 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Agricultural Policy; Food Policy
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGR-2013-07-28 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2013-07-28 (All new papers)
- NEP-CMP-2013-07-28 (Computational Economics)
- NEP-EUR-2013-07-28 (Microeconomic European Issues)
- NEP-TRA-2013-07-28 (Transition Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Matthieu Bussière & Jarko Fidrmuc & Bernd Schnatz, 2008. "EU Enlargement and Trade Integration: Lessons from a Gravity Model," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 12(3), pages 562-576, 08.
- Möllers, Judith & Zier, Patrick & Frohberg, Klaus & Buchenrieder, Gertrud & Bojnec, Štefan, 2009.
"Croatia's EU accession: socio-economic assessment of farm households and policy recommendations,"
Studies on the Agricultural and Food Sector in Central and Eastern Europe,
Leibniz Institute of Agricultural Development in Central and Eastern Europe (IAMO), volume 48, number 53665.
- Möllers, Judith & Zier, Patrick & Frohberg, Klaus & Buchenrieder, Gertrud & Bojnec, Stefan, 2009. "Croatia's EU Accession: Socio-economic Assessment of Farm Households and Policy Recommendations," MPRA Paper 17365, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Robert M'barek & Wolfgang Britz & Alison Burrell & Jacques Delincé, 2012. "An integrated Modelling Platform for Agro-economic Commodity and Policy Analysis (iMAP) - a look back and the way forward," JRC-IPTS Working Papers JRC69667, Institute for Prospective and Technological Studies, Joint Research Centre.
- Arjan Lejour & Andrea Mervar & Gerard Verweij, 2009. "The Economic Effects of Croatia's Accession to the European Union," Eastern European Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 47(6), pages 60-83, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Rafael Castillo).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.