Aid and public sector borrowing in developing countries
AbstractThis paper analyses the relationship between public sector borrowing and foreign development aid. It is concerned specifically with the public sector borrowing requirement net of aid, questioning the assumption that aid and this type of borrowing are substitutes for one another. After looking at the public sector budget constraint and various conditions under which aid might lead to an increase in this borrowing, the paper surveys the empirical results of literature on aid and public sector fiscal behaviour. It finds that the results of a number of studies are consistent with aid leading to increases in this borrowing. Further investigation, in the form of econometric analysis of panel data, also points to this outcome. Copyright © 2003 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal Journal of International Development.
Volume (Year): 15 (2003)
Issue (Month): 8 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/5102/home
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cashel-Cordo, P. & Craig, S.G., 1988.
"The Public Sector Impact Of International Resource Transfers,"
Papers, Houston - Department of Economics
24, Houston - Department of Economics.
- Cashel-Cordo, Peter & Craig, Steven G., 1990. "The public sector impact of international resource transfers," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 17-42, January.
- Pack, Howard & Pack, Janet Rothenberg, 1993. "Foreign Aid and the Question of Fungibility," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 75(2), pages 258-65, May.
- Swaroop, Vinaya & Jha, Shikha & Sunil Rajkumar, Andrew, 2000. "Fiscal effects of foreign aid in a federal system of governance: The case of India," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 77(3), pages 307-330, September.
- Susana Franco-Rodriguez, 2000. "Recent developments in fiscal response with an application to Costa Rica," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 12(3), pages 429-441.
- Susana Franco-Rodriguez, & Mark McGillivray, & Oliver Morrissey, . "Aid and the Public Sector in Pakistan: Evidence with Endogenous Aid," Discussion Papers 98/2, University of Nottingham, CREDIT.
- White, Howard, 1994. "Foreign aid, taxes and public investment: A further comment," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 45(1), pages 155-163, October.
- Pack, Howard & Pack, Janet Rothenberg, 1990. "Is Foreign Aid Fungible? The Case of Indonesia," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, Royal Economic Society, vol. 100(399), pages 188-94, March.
- Zafar Iqbal, 1997. "Foreign Aid and the Public Sector: A Model of Fiscal Behaviour in Pakistan," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 36(2), pages 115-129.
- Gang, Ira N. & Ali Khan, Haider, 1990. "Foreign aid, taxes, and public investment," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 34(1-2), pages 355-369, November.
- Khan, Haider Ali & Hoshino, Eiichi, 1992. "Impact of foreign aid on the fiscal behavior of LDC governments," World Development, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 20(10), pages 1481-1488, October.
- Franco-Rodriguez, Susana & Morrissey, Oliver & McGillivray, Mark, 1998. "Aid and the Public Sector in Pakistan: Evidence with Endogenous Aid," World Development, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 26(7), pages 1241-1250, July.
- Feyzioglu, Tarhan & Swaroop, Vinaya & Zhu, Min, 1998. "A Panel Data Analysis of the Fungibility of Foreign Aid," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, World Bank Group, vol. 12(1), pages 29-58, January.
- Bjørnskov, Christian & Schröder, Philipp J.H., 2013.
"Are debt repayment incentives undermined by foreign aid?,"
Journal of Comparative Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 41(4), pages 1073-1091.
- Bjørnskov, Christian & Schröder, Philipp J.H., 2010. "Are Debt Repayment Incentives Undermined by Foreign Aid?," Working Papers, University of Aarhus, Aarhus School of Business, Department of Economics 10-20, University of Aarhus, Aarhus School of Business, Department of Economics.
- Feeny, Simon & McGillivray, Mark, 2009.
"Aid and Public Sector Fiscal Behaviour in Failing States,"
21801, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Feeny, Simon & McGillivray, Mark, 2010. "Aid and public sector fiscal behaviour in failing states," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 27(5), pages 1006-1016, September.
- Gilles Nancy & Boriana Yontcheva, 2006. "Does NGO Aid Go to the Poor? Empirical Evidence From Europe," IMF Working Papers 06/39, International Monetary Fund.
- Mayr, Karin, 2010. "Optimal Deficit and Debt in the Presence of Foreign Aid," World Development, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 38(1), pages 19-27, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.