Cooperatives' shares in farm industries: Organizational and policy factors
AbstractCooperatives compete in farm-supply and marketing industries with investor-owned enterprises. Cooperatives' shares should depend on their distinctive organization: dealing “at cost” with members whose equities are tied to their current transactions with the cooperative. We show how this ownership structure affects cooperatives' activities and investment decisions, how it interacts with the public policies affording cooperatives special tax and antitrust status, and what these factors together imply for cooperatives' market shares and the extent of their vertical integration. Available data permit only informal tests of these predictions, but the evidence seems to confirm them strongly.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal Agribusiness.
Volume (Year): 2 (1986)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1002/(ISSN)1520-6297
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Meade, James E, 1972. "The Theory of Labour-Managed Firms and of Profit Sharing," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 82(325), pages 402-28, Supplemen.
- Jensen, Michael C & Meckling, William H, 1979. "Rights and Production Functions: An Application to Labor-managed Firms and Codetermination," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 52(4), pages 469-506, October.
- Pinhas Zusman, 1982. "Group Choice in an Agricultural Marketing Co-operative," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 15(2), pages 220-34, May.
- R. Carson, 1977. "A Theory of Co-operatives," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 10(4), pages 565-89, November.
- Bonin, John P, 1984. "Membership and Employment in an Egalitarian Cooperative," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 51(23), pages 295-305, August.
- Cook, Michael L., 1994. "The Role of Management Behavior in Agricultural Cooperatives," Journal of Agricultural Cooperation, National Council of Farmer Cooperatives, vol. 9.
- Royer, Jeffrey S. & Bhuyan, Sanjib, 1993. "Formula Price Contracts as an Alternative to Forward Integration by Farmer Cooperatives," Journal of Agricultural Cooperation, National Council of Farmer Cooperatives, vol. 8.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.