Formula Price Contracts as an Alternative to Forward Integration by Farmer Cooperatives
AbstractFirms may seek contractual alternatives to vertical integration in order to achieve transactional economies or adjust for market imperfections. Blair and Kaserman have shown that under fixed-proportions production technology. Firms within bilateral and successive monopoly market structures can use formula price contracts to achieve results economically equivalent to integration. This paper examines whether formula price contracts are a viable alternative to forward integration for farmer cooperatives. Analysis of a three-stage vertical market structure indicates that the conditions under which a cooperative assembler can use a formula price contract are more restrictive than those for an investor-owned firm.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by National Council of Farmer Cooperatives in its journal Journal of Agricultural Cooperation.
Volume (Year): 8 (1993)
Issue (Month): ()
Contact details of provider:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Staatz, John M., 1989. "Farmer Cooperative Theory: Recent Developments," Research Reports 52017, United States Department of Agriculture, Rural Development Business and Cooperative Programs.
- Blair, Roger D & Kaserman, David L, 1987. "A Note on Bilateral Monopoly and Formula Price Contracts," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 77(3), pages 460-63, June.
- Richard J. Sexton, 1984. "Perspectives on the Development of the Economic Theory of Co-operatives," Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 32(2), pages 423-436, 07.
- Richard E. Caves & Bruce C. Petersen, 1986. "Cooperatives' shares in farm industries: Organizational and policy factors," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 2(1), pages 1-19.
- Rogers, Richard T. & Marion, Bruce W., 1990. "Food Manufacturing Activities of the Largest Agricultural Cooperatives: Market Power and Strategic Behavior Implications," Journal of Agricultural Cooperation, National Council of Farmer Cooperatives, vol. 5.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.