Farmer Cooperative Theory: Recent Developments
AbstractSince 1980, agricultural economists have begun to reexamine fundamental issues in the theory of agricultural cooperation. These include the basic nature of farmer cooperation; the theoretical benefits and limits of cooperative enterprise; and the implications of these for cooperative members, managers, and public policy. Analysts have extended previous models of the cooperative as a type of business firm in order to analyze the impact of large cooperatives on market performance. They have also developed new models to analyze how cooperatives attempt to serve the divergent interests of different participants, such as managers and different classes of farmers. This report describes and evaluates recent theoretical developments, outlines remaining areas of conflict and gaps in the theory of agricultural cooperation, and discusses topics for future research. It concludes that one of the most promising areas for current research may be in testing hypothesis arising from current theoretical work.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by United States Department of Agriculture, Rural Development Business and Cooperative Programs in its series Research Reports with number 52017.
Date of creation: 1989
Date of revision:
Cooperative theory; public policy; market coordination; economic performance; finance; pricing; member control; Agribusiness;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Lerman, Zvi & Parliament, Claudia, 1991. "Financing Of Growth In Agricultural Cooperatives," Staff Papers 13410, University of Minnesota, Department of Applied Economics.
- Liverpool-Tasie, Lenis Saweda, 2012. "Farmer Groups, Input Access and Intragroup Dynamics: A Case Study of Targeted Subsidies in Nigeria:," IFPRI discussion papers 1197, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Russo, Carlo & Weatherspoon, Dave D. & Peterson, H. Christopher & Sabbatini, Massimo, 2000.
"Effects Of Managers' Power On Capital Structure: A Study Of Italian Agricultural Cooperatives,"
International Food and Agribusiness Management Review,
International Food and Agribusiness Management Association (IAMA), vol. 3(01).
- Russo, Carlo & Weatherspoon, Dave D. & Peterson, H. Christopher & Sabbatini, Massimo, 1999. "Effects Of Managers' Power On Capital Structure: A Study On Italian Agricultural Cooperatives," Staff Papers 11753, Michigan State University, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics.
- Peter Österberg & Jerker Nilsson, 2009. "Members' perception of their participation in the governance of cooperatives: the key to trust and commitment in agricultural cooperatives," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 25(2), pages 181-197.
- Shannon Sutton, 2012. "Add Producers and Stir? (Re) politicizing Fairtrade participation," Working Papers 38, Queen Mary, University of London, School of Business and Management, Centre for Globalisation Research.
- Mensah, Edouard R. & Karantininis, Kostas & Adegbidi, Anselme & Okello, Julius Juma, 2012. "Determinants of Commitment to Agricultural Cooperatives: Cashew Nuts Farmers in Benin," 2012 Conference, August 18-24, 2012, Foz do Iguacu, Brazil 125946, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Zvi Lerman & Claudia Parliament, 1990. "Comparative performance of cooperatives and investor-owned firms in US food industries," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 6(6), pages 527-540.
- Ebneth, Oliver & Theuvsen, Ludwig, 2005. "Internationalization and Corporate Success - Empirical Evidence from the European Dairy Sector," 2005 International Congress, August 23-27, 2005, Copenhagen, Denmark 24750, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Lerman, Zvi & Parliament, Claudia, 1990. "Comparative Performance Of Food-Processing Cooperatives And Investor-Owned Firms," Staff Papers 13455, University of Minnesota, Department of Applied Economics.
- Saïsset, L.A. & Couderc, J.P., 2013. "Les trois dimensions de la gouvernance coopérative : à la recherche d'un équilibre instable. Le cas des caves coopératives en Languedoc-Roussillon [France]," Working Papers MOISA 201302, UMR MOISA : Marchés, Organisations, Institutions et Stratégies d'Acteurs : CIHEAM-IAMM, CIRAD, INRA, Montpellier SupAgro, IRD - Montpellier, France.
- Royer, Jeffrey S., 1991. "A Comparative Financial Ratio Analysis of U.S. Farmer Cooperatives Using Nonparametric Statistics," Journal of Agricultural Cooperation, National Council of Farmer Cooperatives, vol. 6.
- Parliament, Claudia & Lerman, Zvi, 1993. "Risk and Equity in Agricultural Cooperatives," Journal of Agricultural Cooperation, National Council of Farmer Cooperatives, vol. 8.
- Royer, Jeffrey S. & Bhuyan, Sanjib, 1993. "Formula Price Contracts as an Alternative to Forward Integration by Farmer Cooperatives," Journal of Agricultural Cooperation, National Council of Farmer Cooperatives, vol. 8.
- Staatz, John M., 1994. "A Comment on Phillips' "Economic Nature of the Cooperative Association"," Journal of Agricultural Cooperation, National Council of Farmer Cooperatives, vol. 9.
- Puaha, Hubertus & Tilley, Daniel S., 2003. "Investment Decisions In New Generation Cooperatives: A Case Study Of Value Added Products (Vap) Cooperative In Alva, Oklahoma," 2003 Annual Meeting, February 1-5, 2003, Mobile, Alabama 35069, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
- Saweda, Lenis & Liverpool-Tasie, O, 2012. "Farmer groups and input access: When membership is not enough," 2012 Conference, August 18-24, 2012, Foz do Iguacu, Brazil 126744, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Gabor G. Szabo & Krisztina Bardos, 2005. "Vertical Coordination by Contracts in Agribusiness - An Empirical Research in the Hungarian Dairy Sector," IEHAS Discussion Papers 0515, Institute of Economics, Centre for Economic and Regional Studies, Hungarian Academy of Sciences.
- Schmid, A. Allan, 2002. "The Spartan School Of Institutional Economics At Michigan State University," Staff Papers 11596, Michigan State University, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics.
- Imre Ferto & Gabor G. Szabo, 2002. "Vertical Co-ordanitaion in Transition Agriculture: a Hungarian Cooperative Case Study," IEHAS Discussion Papers 0210, Institute of Economics, Centre for Economic and Regional Studies, Hungarian Academy of Sciences.
- Puaha, Hubertus & Tilley, Daniel S., 2002. "Coalition Development In The Agricultural Marketing System," 2002 Annual meeting, July 28-31, Long Beach, CA 19721, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.