The Role of Management Behavior in Agricultural Cooperatives
AbstractMintzburgâ€™s managerial working role model is used to explore the ways roles and behavior of the general manager of a user-oriented firm differ from those of the manager of an investor-owned firm (IOF). It is argued that, in the roles of conflict resolution, resource allocation, information spokesperson, and leadership, the challenges of a user-oriented manager are not only significantly different but often more difficult. It is concluded that managers comfortable with complexity; technical-operation, people-oriented resource allocation; multi-stakeholder communication; and with strong coalition- building skills are most successful in user-oriented organizations.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by National Council of Farmer Cooperatives in its journal Journal of Agricultural Cooperation.
Volume (Year): 9 (1994)
Issue (Month): ()
Contact details of provider:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Royer, Jeffrey S., 1992. "Cooperative Principles and Equity Financing: A Critical Discussion," Journal of Agricultural Cooperation, National Council of Farmer Cooperatives, vol. 7.
- Staatz, John M., 1994. "A Comment on Phillips' "Economic Nature of the Cooperative Association"," Journal of Agricultural Cooperation, National Council of Farmer Cooperatives, vol. 9.
- Peterson, H. Christopher, 1992. "The Economic Role and Limitations of Cooperatives: An Investment Cash Flow Derivation," Journal of Agricultural Cooperation, National Council of Farmer Cooperatives, vol. 7.
- Henry Mintzberg, 1971. "Managerial Work: Analysis from Observation," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 18(2), pages B97-B110, October.
- Fama, Eugene F & Jensen, Michael C, 1983. "Agency Problems and Residual Claims," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 26(2), pages 327-49, June.
- Richard E. Caves & Bruce C. Petersen, 1986. "Cooperatives' shares in farm industries: Organizational and policy factors," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 2(1), pages 1-19.
- Ton, Giel & Vellema, Sietze & DeRuyterDeWildt, Marieke, 2011. "Credible evidence on complex change processes: key challenges in impact evaluation on agricultural value chains," MPRA Paper 32027, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Bijman, W.J.J. & Hendrikse, G.W.J. & van Oijen, A.A.C.J., 2012. "Accommodating Two Worlds in One Organization: Changing Board Models in Agricultural Cooperatives," ERIM Report Series Research in Management ERS-2012-015-ORG, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus Uni.
- Feng, Li & Hendrikse, George W.J., 2008. "On the Nature of a Cooperative: A System of Attributes Perspective," 2008 International Congress, August 26-29, 2008, Ghent, Belgium 44398, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Feng, Li & Hendrikse, George W.J., 2011. "Coordination and Governance: The case of Cooperatives versus IOFs," 2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland 114359, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Li, Feng & Hendrikse, George W.J., 2009. "CEO Compensation in Cooperatives versus Publicly Listed Firms," 2009 Conference, August 16-22, 2009, Beijing, China 51619, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Jeffrey P. Katz, 1997. "Managerial behavior and strategy choices in agribusiness cooperatives," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 13(5), pages 483-495.
- Goldsmith, Peter D. & Bender, Karen, 2003. "Ten Conversations about Identity Preservation: Implications for Cooperatives," 2003 Annual Meeting, October 29 31803, NCERA-194 Research on Cooperatives.
- Deng, Hengshan & Huang, Jikun & Xu, Zhigang & Rozelle, Scott, 2010. "Policy support and emerging farmer professional cooperatives in rural China," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 21(4), pages 495-507, December.
- Liang, Q.X. & Hendrikse, G.W.J. & Huang, Z. & Xu, X., 2012. "Core and Common Members in Chinese Farmer Cooperatives," ERIM Report Series Research in Management ERS-2012-002-STR, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus Uni.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.