Trends in food quality regulation: Implications for processed food trade and foreign direct investment
AbstractForeign direct investment (FDI) has been increasing at a faster rate than direct exports of processed foods over the past decades. To what extent does national-level food quality regulation influence these trends? Although unquantified as to its impact, such national-level regulation is frequently cited as a potential source of nontariff barriers to trade for food products. FDI may allow food processors to avoid rules intended to disadvantage imported products by siting production within particular markets. It may also allow more precise and rapid adaptation to domestic quality regulations. We discuss what is known about the effect of national-level regulation on companies' strategies for operating in international markets. © 1996 John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal Agribusiness.
Volume (Year): 12 (1996)
Issue (Month): 5 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1002/(ISSN)1520-6297
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Stiegert, Kyle W. & Ardalan, Archie Amir & Marsh, Thomas L., 2006. "Foreign-Market Entry Strategies in the European Union," Journal of Food Distribution Research, Food Distribution Research Society, vol. 37(03), November.
- Bredahl, Maury E. & Holleran, Erin, 1997. "Technical Regulations And Food Safety In Nafta," Harmonization\Convergence\Compatibility in Agriculture and Agri-Food Policy: Canada, United States and Mexico; Proceedings of the 3rd Ag... 1997 16906, Farm Foundation, Agricultural and Food Policy Systems Information Workshops.
- Adele Finco & Monica Padella & Guido Di Pronio & Mirco Pollonara, 2009. "Dinamiche del commercio internazionale dell’olio di oliva italiano: un’analisi prospettica," ECONOMIA AGRO-ALIMENTARE, FrancoAngeli Editore, vol. 11(2), pages 169-185.
- Finco, Adele & Padella, Monica & Di Pronio, Guido & Pollonara, Mirco, 2008. "Dinamiche del commercio internazionale dell'olio di oliva italiano: un'analisi prospettica," 2008 XVI Convegno Annuale SIEA - Le Dinamiche del Commercio Agro-alimentare Tra Commodities e Prodotti Differenziati, 5-6 Giugno 2008, Trieste 48194, Italian Society of Agri-food Economics/Società Italiana di Economia Agro-Alimentare (SIEA).
- Combris, Pierre & Pinto, Alexandra Seabra & Fragata, Antonio & Giraud-Heraud, Eric, 2007. "Does taste beat food safety? Evidence from the Pera Rocha case in Portugal," 105th Seminar, March 8-10, 2007, Bologna, Italy 7879, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Samir Mili & Manuel Rodr�guez Z��iga, 2001. "Exploring future developments in international olive oil trade and marketing: A Spanish perspective," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 17(3), pages 397-415.
- Kariyawasam, Sumudu & Jayasinghe-Mudalige, Udith K. & Weerahewa, Jeevika, 2006. "Assessing Consumer Attitudes and Perceptions Towards Food Quality: The Case of Consumption of Tetra-Packed Fresh Milk in Sri Lanka," Annual Meeting, May 25-28, 2006, Montreal, Quebec 34173, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society.
- Epperson, James E. & Estes, Edmund A., 1999. "Fruit And Vegetable Supply-Chain Management, Innovations, And Competitiveness: Cooperative Regional Research Project S-222," Journal of Food Distribution Research, Food Distribution Research Society, vol. 30(3), November.
- Muhammad, Safdar & Singh, Surendra P. & Ekanem, Enefiok P. & Tegegne, Fisseha & Akuley-Amenyenu, Anonya, 2001. "Exports From Developing Countries And Food Safety Concerns," Journal of Food Distribution Research, Food Distribution Research Society, vol. 32(01), March.
- Salay, Elisabete & Caswell, Julie A., 1998. "Developments In Brazilian Food Safety Policy," International Food and Agribusiness Management Review, International Food and Agribusiness Management Association (IAMA), vol. 1(02).
- Amanor-Boadu, Vincent & Hobbs, Jill E. & Kruja, Zana & Martin, Larry J., 1999. "Net Benefits Of Increased Trade Liberalization To The Canadian Economy," Miscellaneous Publications 18089, George Morris Center.
- Noelke, Corinna M. & Caswell, Julie A., 2000. "A Model Of The Implementation Of Quality Management Systems For Credence Attributes," 2000 Annual meeting, July 30-August 2, Tampa, FL 21874, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.