Dinamiche del commercio internazionale dell'olio di oliva italiano: un'analisi prospettica
AbstractThe paper analyses the dynamics of the Italian olive oil trade and gives a preliminary explanation of the opportunity in the international market. The paper starts showing the description of olive oil chain and production and underlining the main factors affecting the import export system. The aim of this work is to explain the magnitude of the trade flows for olive oil from Italy to its main importing countries. This objective has been reached by establishing an appropriate econometric model derived from an extended form of the “Gravity Model”. This model has been broadly applied to the analysis of international trade because it provides robust estimates. The results obtained and the model itself are useful in forecasting potential trends in the exportation of high quality Italian olive oil.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Italian Society of Agri-food Economics/Società Italiana di Economia Agro-Alimentare (SIEA) in its series 2008 XVI Convegno Annuale SIEA - Le Dinamiche del Commercio Agro-alimentare Tra Commodities e Prodotti Differenziati, 5-6 Giugno 2008, Trieste with number 48194.
Date of creation: Jun 2008
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://digilander.libero.it/aissa1/societa/societa_siea.html
More information through EDIRC
Italian Olive Oil; Food-Trade; Gravity Models; Export Analysis; Q13; Q17; C20;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- Q13 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Agricultural Markets and Marketing; Cooperatives; Agribusiness
- Q17 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Agriculture in International Trade
- C20 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2009-03-28 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mahe, Louis-Pascal, 1997. "Environment and Quality Standards in the WTO: New Protectionism in Agricultural Trade? A European Perspective," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 24(3-4), pages 480-503.
- Vlontzos, George N. & Duquenne, Marie-Noelle, 2007. "Evolution of trade flows for sheep milk cheese: an empirical model for Greece," 105th Seminar, March 8-10, 2007, Bologna, Italy 7884, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Carri, Carlo Bernini & Sassi, Maria, 2007. "Trade and Competitiveness of the Mediterranean Countries on the Olive Oil Market," 103rd Seminar, April 23-25, 2007, Barcelona, Spain 9421, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Heckman, James J, 1979.
"Sample Selection Bias as a Specification Error,"
Econometric Society, vol. 47(1), pages 153-61, January.
- Inmaculada Martínez-Zarzoso & Felicitas Nowak-Lehmann D., 2003. "Augmented gravity model: An empirical application to Mercosur- European trade flows," International Trade 0309019, EconWPA.
- Frohberg, Klaus & Hartmann, Monika, 1997. "Comparing measures of competitiveness," IAMO Discussion Papers 2, Leibniz Institute of Agricultural Development in Central and Eastern Europe (IAMO).
- Turkekul, Berna & Gunden, Cihat & Abay, Canan & Miran, Bulent, 2007. "A Market Share Analysis of Virgin Olive Oil Producer Countries with special respect to Competitiveness," 103rd Seminar, April 23-25, 2007, Barcelona, Spain 9410, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- De Blasi, Giuseppe & Seccia, Antonio & Carlucci, Domenico & Santeramo, Fabio G., 2007. "Analysis of Italian High Quality Wine Exports using the Gravity Model Approach," 105th Seminar, March 8-10, 2007, Bologna, Italy 7901, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Canavari, Maurizio & Cantore, Nicola, 2007. "The challenge of the international organic certification: a new opportunity for agricultural trading?," 105th Seminar, March 8-10, 2007, Bologna, Italy 7902, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Neal H. Hooker & Julie A. Caswell, 1996. "Trends in food quality regulation: Implications for processed food trade and foreign direct investment," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 12(5), pages 411-419.
- Amemiya, Takeshi, 1984. "Tobit models: A survey," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 24(1-2), pages 3-61.
- Inmaculada Martínez-Zarzoso & Felicitas Nowak-Lehmann, 2003. "Augmented Gravity Model: An Empirical Application to Mercosur-European Union Trade Flows," Journal of Applied Economics, Universidad del CEMA, vol. 0, pages 291-316, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.