Analyzing technical trade barriers in agricultural markets: Challenges and priorities
AbstractTechnical trade barriers are increasingly important in the international exchange of primary and processed agricultural products. Designing technical trade measures that can satisfy the growing demand for food safety, product differentiation, environmental amenities, and product information at the lowest cost to the consumer and to the international trading system requires an understanding of the complex economics of regulatory import barriers. This article proposes a definition and classification scheme to frame discussion and evaluation of such measures. [Econ-Lit citations: Q170, L510] © 1999 John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal Agribusiness.
Volume (Year): 15 (1999)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1002/(ISSN)1520-6297
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Caswell, Julie A. & Mojduszka, Eliza M., 1996.
"Using Informational Labeling To Influence The Market For Quality In Food Products,"
25989, Regional Research Project NE-165 Private Strategies, Public Policies, and Food System Performance.
- Julie A. Caswell & Eliza M. Mojduszka, 1996. "Using Informational Labeling to Influence the Market for Quality in Food Products," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 78(5), pages 1248-1253.
- Philip L. Paarlberg & John G. Lee, 1998. "Import Restrictions in the Presence of a Health Risk: An Illustration Using FMD," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 80(1), pages 175-183.
- Krissoff, Barry & Ballenger, Nicole & Dunmore, John C. & Gray, Denice, 1996. "Exploring Linkages Among Agriculture, Trade, and the Environment: Issues for the Next Century," Agricultural Economics Reports 33961, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Anderson, Kym & James, Sarah, 1998.
"On the Need for More Economic Assessment of Quarantine/SPS Policies,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1934, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- James, Sallie & Anderson, Kym, 1998. "On the need for more economic assessment of quarantine/SPS policies," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 42(4), December.
- Akerlof, George A, 1970. "The Market for 'Lemons': Quality Uncertainty and the Market Mechanism," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 84(3), pages 488-500, August.
- Hooker, Neal H. & Caswell, Julie A., 1995.
"Regulatory Targets And Regimes For Food Safety: A Comparison Of North American And European Approaches,"
Proceedings: The Economics of Reducing Health Risk from Food, June 6-7, 1995, Washington, D.C.
25964, Regional Research Project NE-165 Private Strategies, Public Policies, and Food System Performance.
- Neal H. HOOKER & Julie A. CASWELL, . "Regulatory Targets And Regimes For Food Safety: A Comparison Of North American And European Approaches," Department of Resource Economics Regional Research Project 9511, University of Massachusetts.
- Fidele Ndayisenga & Jean Kinsey, 1994. "The structure of nontariff trade measures on agricultural products in high-income countries," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 10(4), pages 275-292.
- Romano, Eduardo & Orden, David, 1995. "The Political Economy of U.S. Import Restrictions on Nursery Stock and Ornamental Plants in Growing Media," 1995: Understanding Technical Barriers to Agricultural Trade Conference, December 1995, Tucson, Arizona 50707, International Agricultural Trade Research Consortium.
- Powell, Mark, 1997. "Science in Sanitary and Phytosanitary Dispute Resolution," Discussion Papers dp-97-50, Resources For the Future.
- Roberts, Donna, 1998. "Preliminary Assessment of the Effects of the WTO Agreement on Sanitary and Phytosanitary Trade Regulations," Journal of International Economic Law, Oxford University Press, vol. 1(3), pages 377-405, September.
- Maskus, Keith E. & Wilson, John S. & Tsunehiro Otsuki, 2000. "Quantifying the impact of technical barriers to trade : a framework for analysis," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2512, The World Bank.
- Miller, Andrew D. & Langley, Suchada V. & Chambers, William, 2003.
"Current Issues Affecting Trade And Trade Policy: An Annotated Literature Review,"
14596, International Agricultural Trade Research Consortium.
- Miller, Andrew D. & Langley, Suchada V. & Chambers, William, 2003. "Current Issues Affecting Trade And Trade Policy: An Annotated Literature Review," Working Papers 14606, International Agricultural Trade Research Consortium.
- Olson, Lars J., 2006. "The Economics of Terrestrial Invasive Species: A Review of the Literature," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 35(1), April.
- Lynch, Lori, 2001. "Migration Of Exotic Pests: Phytosanitary Regulations And Cooperative Policies To Protect U.S. Ecosystems And Agricultural Interests," Working Papers 28548, University of Maryland, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
- Marshall, Maria I. & Marsh, Thomas L., 2003. "Endogenous Protection In The Mexican Corn And Sorghum Market," 2003 Annual meeting, July 27-30, Montreal, Canada 22242, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Sawyer, Erin N. & Kerr, William A. & Hobbs, Jill E., 2008. "Consumer preferences and the international harmonization of organic standards," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(6), pages 607-615, December.
- Prestemon, Jeffrey P. & Zhu, Shushuai & Turner, James A. & Buongiorno, Joseph & Li, Ruhong, 2006. "Forest Product Trade Impacts of an Invasive Species: Modeling Structure and Intervention Trade-Offs," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 35(1), April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.