Prices versus Quantities in Fisheries Models
AbstractThis paper discusses the conditions for generalizing the analysis in Weitzman (1974) to fisheries. It is shown that it is straightforward to generalize the analysis if the cost function is direct additively separable in stock size and catches. This leads to the conclusion that the analysis holds for a schooling fishery with and without search costs, but it might not hold for a search fishery. A further result is that for a schooling fishery without search costs, where the marginal cost function is steeper than the marginal benefit function, taxes are likely to be preferred over individual transferable quotas.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Wisconsin Press in its journal Land Economics.
Volume (Year): 79 (2003)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://le.uwpress.org/
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- Q22 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Renewable Resources and Conservation - - - Fishery
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Akpalu, Wisdom & Vondolia, Godwin K., 2012.
"Bioeconomic model of spatial fishery management in developing countries,"
Environment and Development Economics,
Cambridge University Press, vol. 17(02), pages 145-161, April.
- Akpalu, Wisdom & Vondolia, Godwin K., 2011. "Bioeconomic model of spatial fishery management in developing countries," Working Papers in Economics 490, University of Gothenburg, Department of Economics.
- Hansen, Lars Gårn & Jensen, Frank & Russell, Clifford, 2013.
"Instrument choice when regulators are concerned about resource extinction,"
Resource and Energy Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 135-147.
- Lars Gårn Hansen & Frank Jensen & Clifford Russell, 2011. "Instrument Choice when Regulators are Concerned about Resource Extinction," IFRO Working Paper 2011/6, University of Copenhagen, Department of Food and Resource Economics, revised Jul 2011.
- Beard, Rodney, 2008. "A dynamic model of renewable resource harvesting with Bertrand competition," MPRA Paper 8916, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Frank Jensen & Niels Vestergaard, 2004. "Fisheries Management with Multiple Market Failures," Working Papers 54/04, University of Southern Denmark, Department of Environmental and Business Economics.
- Jensen, Frank, 2008. "Uncertainty and asymmetric information: An overview," Marine Policy, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 89-103, January.
- Ostrom, Elinor (Ed.) & Schlüter, Achim (Ed.), 2007. "The challenge of self-governance in complex, globalizing economies: Collection of revised papers of a PhD seminar," Working Papers 47-2007, University of Freiburg, Chair of Forestry Economics and Planning.
- Hannesson, Rognvaldur, 2007. "Taxes, ITQs, Investments, and Revenue Sharing," Marine Resource Economics, Marine Resources Foundation, vol. 22(4).
- Vincent Martinet & Michel De Lara & Julio Peña-Torres & Héctor Ramírez Cabrera, 2012.
"Risk and Sustainability: Assessing Fisheries Management Strategies,"
EconomiX Working Papers
2012-11, University of Paris West - Nanterre la Défense, EconomiX.
- Vincent Martinet & Michel de Lara & Julio Peña & Héctor Ramirez, 2012. "Risk and Sustainability: Assessing Fisheries Management Strategies," ILADES-Georgetown University Working Papers inv276, Ilades-Georgetown University, Universidad Alberto Hurtado/School of Economics and Bussines.
- Nagl, Stephan, 2013. "Prices vs. Quantities: Incentives for Renewable Power Generation - Numerical Analysis for the European Power Market," EWI Working Papers 2013-4, Energiewirtschaftliches Institut an der Universitaet zu Koeln.
- Lars Gårn Hansen, 2012. "Regulating Renewable Resources under Uncertainty," IFRO Working Paper 2012/3, University of Copenhagen, Department of Food and Resource Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.