Public Benefits, Private Benefits, and Policy Mechanism Choice for Land-Use Change for Environmental Benefits
AbstractThe choice of policy mechanisms for encouraging environmentally beneficial land-use change should depend on the relative levels of private (or internal) net benefits, and public (or external) net benefits. A map of recommended policy mechanisms is developed, depending on the relative levels of these variables. Positive incentives, negative incentives, and extension need to be targeted carefully to appropriate projects—where private net benefits are closer to zero, and/or public net benefits are more extremely positive or negative. Technology development is suggested where private net costs outweigh public net benefits. No action is recommended for many potential projects.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Wisconsin Press in its journal Land Economics.
Volume (Year): 84 (2008)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://le.uwpress.org/
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- Q58 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Environmental Economics - - - Environmental Economics: Government Policy
- Q24 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Renewable Resources and Conservation - - - Land
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Mathias Moschel, 2008. "Race Judicata. Rien ne va plus for Race and Ethnicity in France and Europe?," EUI-LAW Working Papers 23, European University Institute (EUI), Department of Law.
- Barry, Luke E. & Paragahawewa, Upananda Herath & Yao, Richard T. & Turner, James A., 2011. "Valuing Avoided Soil Erosion by Considering Private and Public Net Benefits," 2011 Conference, August 25-26, 2011, Nelson, New Zealand 115512, New Zealand Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Sauer, Johannes & Wossink, Ada, 2010. "The Marginal Cost Of Agri-Environmental Services," 50st Annual Conference, Braunschweig, Germany, September 29-October 1, 2010 93939, German Association of Agricultural Economists (GEWISOLA).
- Polyakov, Maksym & Pannell, David J. & Pandit, Ram & Tapsuwan, Sorada & Park, Geoff, 2013.
"Valuing Environmental Assets on Rural Lifestyle Properties,"
Agricultural and Resource Economics Review,
Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 42(1), April.
- Polyakov, Maksym & Pannell, David J. & Pandit, Ram & Tapsuwan, Sorada & Park, Geoff, 2012. "Valuing environmental assets on rural lifestyle properties," Working Papers 126941, University of Western Australia, School of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
- Gosme, Marie & Suffert, Frédéric & Jeuffroy, Marie-Hélène, 2010. "Intensive versus low-input cropping systems: What is the optimal partitioning of agricultural area in order to reduce pesticide use while maintaining productivity?," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 103(2), pages 110-116, February.
- Kragt, Marit E. & Robertson, Michael J., 2014. "Quantifying ecosystem services trade-offs from agricultural practices," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 102(C), pages 147-157.
- Coggan, Anthea & Whitten, Stuart M. & Bennett, Jeff, 2010. "Influences of transaction costs in environmental policy," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 69(9), pages 1777-1784, July.
- Ma, Shan & Swinton, Scott M., 2011. "Valuation of ecosystem services from rural landscapes using agricultural land prices," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 70(9), pages 1649-1659, July.
- Barry, Luke E. & Yao, Richard T. & Paragahawewa, Upananda Herath & Harrison, D.R., 2012. "Where and how can policy encourage afforestation to avoid soil erosion?," 2012 Conference, August 31, 2012, Nelson, New Zealand 136042, New Zealand Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- McCann, Laura, 2013. "Transaction costs and environmental policy design," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 88(C), pages 253-262.
- Roberts, Anna M. & Pannell, David J. & Doole, Graeme & Vigiak, Olga, 2012.
"Agricultural land management strategies to reduce phosphorus loads in the Gippsland Lakes, Australia,"
Elsevier, vol. 106(1), pages 11-22.
- Roberts, Anna M. & Pannell, David J. & Doole, Graeme J. & Vigiak, Olga, 2010. "Agricultural land management strategies to reduce phosphorus loads in the Gippsland Lakes, Australia," Working Papers 102454, University of Western Australia, School of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
- Charlesworth, S & Elder, A & Hill, E & Pocock, Barbara, 2012. "Guest editorsâ€™ introduction to the Special Issue," Australian Bulletin of Labour, National Institute of Labour Studies, vol. 38(3), pages 178-183.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.