An Equilibrium Model of Habitat Conservation under Uncertainty and Irreversibility
AbstractIn this paper stochastic dynamic programming is used to investigate habitat conservation by a multitude of landholders under uncertainty about the value of environmental services and irreversible development. We study land conversion under competition on the market for agricultural products when voluntary and mandatory measures are combined by the Government to induce adequate participation in a conservation plan. We analytically determine the impact of uncertainty and optimal policy conversion dynamics and discuss different policy scenarios on the basis of the relative long-run expected rate of deforestation. Finally, some numerical simulations are provided to illustrate our findings.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei in its series Working Papers with number 2010.160.
Date of creation: Dec 2010
Date of revision:
Optimal Stopping; Deforestation; Payments For Environmental Services; Natural Resources Management;
Other versions of this item:
- Luca Di Corato & Michele Moretto & Sergio Vergalli, 2010. "An Equilibrium Model of Habitat Conservation under Uncertainty and Irreversibility," "Marco Fanno" Working Papers 0122, Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche "Marco Fanno".
- C61 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Optimization Techniques; Programming Models; Dynamic Analysis
- D81 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Criteria for Decision-Making under Risk and Uncertainty
- Q24 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Renewable Resources and Conservation - - - Land
- Q58 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Environmental Economics - - - Environmental Economics: Government Policy
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGR-2011-02-12 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2011-02-12 (All new papers)
- NEP-CMP-2011-02-12 (Computational Economics)
- NEP-ENV-2011-02-12 (Environmental Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Maestad, Ottar, 2001. "Timber trade restrictions and tropical deforestation: a forest mining approach," Resource and Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 111-132, April.
- Di Corato, Luca, 2011.
"Optimal Conservation Policy under Imperfect Intergenerational Altruism,"
2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland
114440, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Luca Di Corato, 2011. "Optimal Conservation Policy Under Imperfect Intergenerational Altruism," Working Papers 2011.89, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Luca Di Corato & Michele Moretto & Sergio Vergalli, 2011.
"Land Conversion Pace under Uncertainty and Irreversibility: too fast or too slow?,"
2011.84, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Luca Corato & Michele Moretto & Sergio Vergalli, 2013. "Land conversion pace under uncertainty and irreversibility: too fast or too slow?," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 110(1), pages 45-82, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (barbara racah).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.