Prices versus Quantities in Fisheries Models: Comment
AbstractJensen and Vestergaard (2003) compare price regulation with quantity regulation under economic uncertainty in the spirit of Weitzman (1974). For a schooling fishery without search cost, they find that price regulation is preferred over quantity regulation, when demand for fish is elastic. However, this finding is based on an assumption that does not hold and, in fact; quantity regulation is always preferred for this type of fishery, irrespective of the demand elasticity. In this note, we show that a pro quota result always applies for a schooling fishery without search costs.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Wisconsin Press in its journal Land Economics.
Volume (Year): 84 (2008)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://le.uwpress.org/
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- Q22 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Renewable Resources and Conservation - - - Fishery
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Lars Gårn Hansen & Frank Jensen & Clifford Russell, 2011.
"Instrument Choice when Regulators are Concerned about Resource Extinction,"
IFRO Working Paper, University of Copenhagen, Department of Food and Resource Economics
2011/6, University of Copenhagen, Department of Food and Resource Economics, revised Jul 2011.
- Hansen, Lars Gårn & Jensen, Frank & Russell, Clifford, 2013. "Instrument choice when regulators are concerned about resource extinction," Resource and Energy Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 135-147.
- Vincent Martinet & Michel de Lara & Julio Peña & Héctor Ramirez, 2012.
"Risk and Sustainability: Assessing Fisheries Management Strategies,"
ILADES-Georgetown University Working Papers, Ilades-Georgetown University, Universidad Alberto Hurtado/School of Economics and Bussines
inv276, Ilades-Georgetown University, Universidad Alberto Hurtado/School of Economics and Bussines.
- Vincent Martinet & Michel De Lara & Julio Peña-Torres & Héctor Ramírez Cabrera, 2012. "Risk and Sustainability: Assessing Fisheries Management Strategies," EconomiX Working Papers, University of Paris West - Nanterre la DÃ©fense, EconomiX 2012-11, University of Paris West - Nanterre la Défense, EconomiX.
- Lars Gårn Hansen, 2012. "Regulating Renewable Resources under Uncertainty," IFRO Working Paper, University of Copenhagen, Department of Food and Resource Economics 2012/3, University of Copenhagen, Department of Food and Resource Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.