Technical Change in Agriculture and Land Degradation in Developing Countries: A General Equilibrium Analysis
AbstractThis paper analyzes the role of economic linkages between upland agriculture, lowland agriculture and other sectors in developing economies, and the potential for welfare-enhancing shifts from more to less erosive upland land use patterns. Comparative statics results are obtained from analytical and numerical general equilibrium models. They indicate that the green revolution in lowland agriculture helped alleviate upland land degradation, and that policies aimed at slowing land degradation through technical progress in upland crops may have the opposite of their intended effects. The results highlight the need for integrated policy packages to reduce upland land degradation in developing countries.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Wisconsin Press in its journal Land Economics.
Volume (Year): 70 (1994)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://le.uwpress.org/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Pandey, Sushil & Khiem, Nguyen Tri, 2001. "Population Pressure, Market Access And Food Security In The Uplands Of Northern Vietnam: A Micro-Economic Analysis," 2001 Annual meeting, August 5-8, Chicago, IL 20667, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- repec:phd:pjdevt:pjd_2002_vol._xxix_no._1-a is not listed on IDEAS
- Lapar, Ma. Lucila A. & Pandey, Sushil, 1999. "Adoption of soil conservation: the case of the Philippine uplands," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 21(3), pages 241-256, December.
- repec:phd:pjdevt:jpd_1996_vol._xxiii_no._2-b is not listed on IDEAS
- Coxhead, Ian & Jayasuriya, Sisira, 2001.
"Economic Growth, Development Policy and the Environment in the Philippines,"
Staff Paper Series
430, University of Wisconsin, Agricultural and Applied Economics.
- IAN COXHEAD & Sisira Jayasuriya, . "Economic Growth, Development Policy and the Environment in the Philippines," Wisconsin-Madison Agricultural and Applied Economics Staff Papers 430, Wisconsin-Madison Agricultural and Applied Economics Department.
- Ian Coxhead & Sisira Kumara Jayasuriya, 2000. "Economic Growth, Development Policy and the Environment in the Philippines," Working Papers 2000.15, School of Economics, La Trobe University.
- IAN A. COXHEAD & Gerald Shively, 1995.
"Measuring the Environmental Impacts of Economic Change: The Case of Land Degradation in Philippine Agriculture,"
Wisconsin-Madison Agricultural and Applied Economics Staff Papers
384, Wisconsin-Madison Agricultural and Applied Economics Department.
- Ian A. COXHEAD & Gerald SHIVELY, 1995. "Measuring The Environmental Impacts Of Economic Change: The Case Of Land Degradation In Philippine Agriculture," Staff Papers 384, University of Wisconsin Madison, AAE.
- Ian A. COXHEAD, 1995.
"Economic Modeling Of Land Degradation In Developing Countries,"
385, University of Wisconsin Madison, AAE, revised May 1996.
- Ian A. Coxhead, 1995. "Economic Modeling of Land Degradation in Developing Countries," Wisconsin-Madison Agricultural and Applied Economics Staff Papers 385, Wisconsin-Madison Agricultural and Applied Economics Department.
- Briones, Roehlano M. & David, Cristina C. & Intal, Ponciano Jr. S. & Ballesteros, Marife M. & Inocencio, Arlene E. & Geron, Ma. Piedad S., 2012. "Monitoring and Evaluation of Agricultural Policy Indicators," Discussion Papers DP 2012-26, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
- Angelsen, Arild & Kaimowitz, David, 1999. "Rethinking the Causes of Deforestation: Lessons from Economic Models," World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, vol. 14(1), pages 73-98, February.
- Coxhead, Ian, 2002. "Development and the Environment in Asia: A Survey of Recent Literature," Staff Paper Series 455, University of Wisconsin, Agricultural and Applied Economics.
- Jan G. Laarman, 1995. "Government Policies Affecting Forests in Latin America: An Agenda for Discussion," IDB Publications 25498, Inter-American Development Bank.
- IAN COXHEAD & Agnes Rola, 1999. "Do National Markets and Price Policies Affect Land Use at the Forest Margin? Evidence from the Philippines," Wisconsin-Madison Agricultural and Applied Economics Staff Papers 426, Wisconsin-Madison Agricultural and Applied Economics Department.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.