Economic Growth, Development Policy and the Environment in the Philippines
AbstractWhat is the state of the Philippine environment, and what are the links between environment and development in the Philippine setting? In this paper we first review the available data on environmental quality and natural resource degradation in the Philippines. We consider trends over time, and compare the Philippine case with those of its Asian regional neighbors. Second, we present a brief review of theoretical links between environmental quality, resource depletion, and development strategies and outcomes, and consider the Philippine data in light of this theory. Third, we discuss recent economic trends and policy initiatives having a bearing on environment and development, and present some simulation results indicating likely trends in economic and environmental variables under alternative policy regimes. Finally, we ask what past experience and current trends might indicate for the future of the Philippine environment.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Wisconsin, Agricultural and Applied Economics in its series Staff Paper Series with number 430.
Date of creation: May 2001
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
- Ian Coxhead & Sisira Kumara Jayasuriya, 2000. "Economic Growth, Development Policy and the Environment in the Philippines," Working Papers 2000.15, School of Economics, La Trobe University.
- IAN COXHEAD & Sisira Jayasuriya, . "Economic Growth, Development Policy and the Environment in the Philippines," Wisconsin-Madison Agricultural and Applied Economics Staff Papers 430, Wisconsin-Madison Agricultural and Applied Economics Department.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stern, David I. & Common, Michael S. & Barbier, Edward B., 1996. "Economic growth and environmental degradation: The environmental Kuznets curve and sustainable development," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 24(7), pages 1151-1160, July.
- Leamer, Edward E, 1987. "Paths of Development in the Three-Factor, n-Good General Equilibrium Model," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 95(5), pages 961-99, October.
- Robert E. Baldwin, 1975. "Appendices to "Foreign Trade Regimes and Economic Development: Philippines"," NBER Chapters, in: Foreign Trade Regimes and Economic Development: Philippines, pages 157-160 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Coxhead, Ian A. & Jayasuriya, Sisira, 1994. "Trade and Tax Policy Reform and the Environment: The Economics of Soil Erosion in Developing Countries," 1994 Conference (38th), February 8-10, 1994, Wellington, New Zealand 148111, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Pearson, K. R., 1988.
"Automating the computation of solutions of large economic models,"
Elsevier, vol. 5(4), pages 385-395, October.
- K.R. Pearson, 1986. "Automating the Computation of Solutions of Large Economic Models," Centre of Policy Studies/IMPACT Centre Working Papers ip-27, Monash University, Centre of Policy Studies/IMPACT Centre.
- Hettige, Hemamala & Martin, Paul & Singh, Manjula & Wheeler,David R., 1995. "The industrial pollution projection system," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1431, The World Bank.
- Jayasuriya, S. K. & Shand, R. T., 1986. "Technical change and labor absorption in Asian agriculture: Some emerging trends," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 415-428, March.
- Kym Anderson & Peter G. Warr, 1985. "General Equilibrium Effects of Agricultural Price Distortions: A Simple Model for Korea," School of Economics Working Papers 1985-01, University of Adelaide, School of Economics.
- David, Cristina C & Huang, Jikun, 1996. "Political Economy of Rice Price Protection in Asia," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 44(3), pages 463-83, April.
- Copeland Brian R., 1994. "International Trade and the Environment: Policy Reform in a Polluted Small Open Economy," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 44-65, January.
- repec:phd:pjdevt:jpd_1988_vol._xv_no._1-c is not listed on IDEAS
- Ian Coxhead & Sisira Jayasuriya, 1994. "Technical Change in Agriculture and Land Degradation in Developing Countries: A General Equilibrium Analysis," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 70(1), pages 20-37.
- Selden Thomas M. & Song Daqing, 1995. "Neoclassical Growth, the J Curve for Abatement, and the Inverted U Curve for Pollution," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 162-168, September.
- Bandara, Jayatilleke S. & Coxhead, Ian, 1999. "Can Trade Liberalization Have Environmental Benefits in Developing Country Agriculture? A Sri Lankan Case Study," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 349-374, May.
- Nickerson, Donna J., 1999. "Trade-offs of mangrove area development in the Philippines," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(2), pages 279-298, February.
- Robert E. Baldwin, 1975. "Foreign Trade Regimes and Economic Development: Philippines," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number bald75-1, December.
- Gerald E. Shively, 2001. "Agricultural Change, Rural Labor Markets, and Forest Clearing: An Illustrative Case from the Philippines," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 77(2), pages 268-284.
- Briones, Roehlano M. & David, Cristina C. & Intal, Ponciano Jr. S. & Ballesteros, Marife M. & Inocencio, Arlene E. & Geron, Ma. Piedad S., 2012. "Monitoring and Evaluation of Agricultural Policy Indicators," Discussion Papers DP 2012-26, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
- Coxhead, Ian, 2002. "Development and the Environment in Asia: A Survey of Recent Literature," Staff Paper Series 455, University of Wisconsin, Agricultural and Applied Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.