Government Policies Affecting Forests in Latin America: An Agenda for Discussion
AbstractThis paper identifies policy issues that affect the extent, distribution, and condition of forests in Latin America. Forest management policies are only one element in the framework; policies related to agricultural development and land tenure can have potentially negative consequences for forests. Mineral exploration, hydroelectric reservoirs, highway projects, and urban expansion also have impacts on forest conversion. Finally, macroeconomic policies affect forests through their impact on investment, public spending, foreign trade, and other economic variables that have consequences for land use. Examples of the Bank's lending for forests as integrated with agricultural structural adjustment loans (AGSALs) in Honduras, Nicaragua, and Peru are presented.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Inter-American Development Bank in its series IDB Publications with number 25498.
Date of creation: Jan 1995
Date of revision:
Fiscal Policy; Trade Agreements; Agricultural policy; Environmental Policy; Forests & forestry; forest conservation; macroeconomic; trade policies; wildlands;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hyde, W.F. & Newman, D.H. & Sedjo, R.A., 1991. "Forest Economics and Policy Analysis," World Bank - Discussion Papers 134, World Bank.
- Laarman, Jan G., 1993. "Evaluating Environmental Impacts Of Rural Development Projects," Working Papers 11896, Environmental and Natural Resources Policy Training Project.
- Gottfried, Robert R. & Brockett, Charles D. & Davis, William C., 1994. "Models of sustainable development and forest resource management in Costa Rica," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 107-120, February.
- Daly, Herman E., 1990. "Carrying capacity as a tool of development policy: the Ecuadoran Amazon and the Paraguayan Chaco," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 187-195, October.
- Ian Coxhead & Sisira Jayasuriya, 1994. "Technical Change in Agriculture and Land Degradation in Developing Countries: A General Equilibrium Analysis," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 70(1), pages 20-37.
- Bromley, Daniel W., 1989. "Property relations and economic development: The other land reform," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 17(6), pages 867-877, June.
- Ernesto Sepúlveda & Germán Coloma & Ana María Gómez & Rossana Corona & Juan Pablo Trujillo & Lino Jaramillo & Pablo Gerchunoff & Luis Alberto Zuleta & Gustavo Adolfo Ramírez & Dominique Hachette , . "Privatization in Latin America," IDB Publications 44638, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Robert T. Deacon, 1994. "Deforestation and the Rule of Law in a Cross-Section of Countries," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 70(4), pages 414-430.
- Ramón López, 1996. "Policy Instruments and Financing Mechanisms for the Sustainable Use of Forests in Latin America," IDB Publications 25538, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Céline Charvériat, 2000. "Desastres naturales en América Latina y el Caribe: panorámica general del riesgo," Research Department Publications 4234, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Markku Simula, 1999. "Trade and Environmental Issues in Forest Production," IDB Publications 25678, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Céline Charvériat, 2000. "Natural Disasters in Latin America and the Caribbean: An Overview of Risk," Research Department Publications 4233, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Olli Haltia & Kari Keipi, 1997. "Financing Forest Investments in Latin America: The Issue of Incentives," IDB Publications 25518, Inter-American Development Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Monica Bazan).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.