Child Labor and Globalization
AbstractThe article embeds child labor in a standard general equilibrium, two-sector model of a small open economy facing perfectly competitive markets, efficiency wages, and free trade. The modern sector uses skilled adult labor and capital, and the agrarian sector uses unskilled (child and adult) labor and skilled adult labor. Trade policies, foreign direct investment, or both that increase the modern-sector output reduce the incidence of child labor. Emigration of skilled (unskilled) workers reduces (increases) the incidence of child labor. Child-wage subsidies increase the incidence of child labor, and a ban on child labor benefits unskilled adult workers but hurts skilled workers.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Chicago Press in its journal Journal of Labor Economics.
Volume (Year): 25 (2007)
Issue (Month): ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/JOLE/
Other versions of this item:
- F1 - International Economics - - Trade
- J3 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Wages, Compensation, and Labor Costs
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- repec:laf:wpaper:201102 is not listed on IDEAS
- Basu, Kaushik & Zarghamee, Homa, 2009. "Is product boycott a good idea for controlling child labor? A theoretical investigation," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 88(2), pages 217-220, March.
- Jean-Marc Siroën, 2012. "Core labour standards and exports," Working Papers DT/2012/18, DIAL (Développement, Institutions et Mondialisation).
- Eugenia Fotoniata & Thomas Moutos, 2011.
"Product Quality, Informality, and Child Labour,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
3537, CESifo Group Munich.
- Kaushik Basu & Homa Zarghamee, 2008. "Product boycott a good idea for controlling child labor? A theoretical investigation," Indian Statistical Institute, Planning Unit, New Delhi Discussion Papers 08-09, Indian Statistical Institute, New Delhi, India.
- Estevez, Kristian, 2011. "Nutritional efficiency wages and child labor," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 28(4), pages 1793-1801, July.
- Donado, Alejandro & Wälde, Klaus, 2012. "Globalization, trade unions and labour standards in the North," ILO Working Papers 469448, International Labour Organization.
- Siroën, Jean-Marc, 2011. "Social Innovations vs international Trade? Core labour standards and exports," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/5832, Paris Dauphine University.
- repec:ner:dauphi:urn:hdl:123456789/3202 is not listed on IDEAS
- Jean-Marie Cardebat & Alexandru Dimitrescu, 2011. "Social Responsibility of the countries and their international trade : A gravitational approach," Larefi Working Papers 1102, Larefi, Université Bordeaux 4.
- Siroën, Jean-Marc & Bazillier, Remi & Duc, Cindy & Arestoff, Florence & Granger, Clotilde, . "Les normes de travail dans les traités de libre-échange," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/3202, Paris Dauphine University.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Journals Division).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.