Lasting Impacts of Indonesia’s Financial Crisis
AbstractWe study the poverty impacts over time and space of Indonesia’s severe economy-wide crisis of 1998, using 10 large national surveys spanning 1993–2002. On allowing for shifts in relative prices stemming from the crisis, we find a sharp but geographically uneven increase in the poverty rate in 1998, reflecting both the unevenness in the extent of the economic contraction and the differing initial conditions at the local level. Our counterfactual analyses indicate geographically diverse recovery rates 4 years later. Proportionate impacts on the poverty rate in both 1998 and 2002 were greater in initially better-off and less unequal districts. In the aggregate, a large share—possibly half—of the poverty count in 2002 is attributed to the 1998 crisis.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Chicago Press in its journal Economic Development and Cultural Change.
Volume (Year): 56 (2007)
Issue (Month): ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/EDCC/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Christophe Muller & Marc Vothknecht, 2013.
"Group Violence, Ethnic Diversity and Citizen Participation - Evidence from Indonesia,"
AMSE Working Papers
1306, Aix-Marseille School of Economics, Marseille, France, revised Feb 2013.
- Christophe Muller & Marc Vothknecht, 2011. "Group Violence, Ethnic Diversity, and Citizen Participation: Evidence from Indonesia," Research Working Papers 48, MICROCON - A Micro Level Analysis of Violent Conflict.
- Christophe Muller & Marc Vothknecht, 2013. "Group Violence, Ethnic Diversity and Citizen Participation: Evidence from Indonesia," Working Papers halshs-00796194, HAL.
- Christophe Muller & Marc Vothknecht, 2011. "Group Violence, Ethnic Diversity, and Citizen Participation: Evidence from Indonesia," IDEP Working Papers 1101, Institut d'economie publique (IDEP), Marseille, France, revised May 2011.
- Stephan Klasen & Jan Priebe & Robert Rudolf, 2013.
"Cash crop choice and income dynamics in rural areas: evidence for post-crisis Indonesia,"
International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 44(3), pages 349-364, 05.
- Stephan Klasen & Jan Priebe & Robert Rudolf, 2010. "Cash Crop Choice and Income Dynamics in Rural Areas: Evidence for Post-Crisis Indonesia," Courant Research Centre: Poverty, Equity and Growth - Discussion Papers 33, Courant Research Centre PEG.
- Ferreira, Francisco H.G. & Ravallion, Martin, 2008. "Global poverty and inequality : a review of the evidence," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4623, The World Bank.
- Guillermo Cruces & Pablo Glüzman & Luis Felipe López Calva, 2011.
"Economic Crises, Maternal and Infant Mortality, Low Birth Weight and Enrollment Rates: Evidence from Argentina’s Downturns,"
CEDLAS, Working Papers
0121, CEDLAS, Universidad Nacional de La Plata.
- Cruces, Guillermo & Glüzmann, Pablo & Calva, Luis Felipe López, 2012. "Economic Crises, Maternal and Infant Mortality, Low Birth Weight and Enrollment Rates: Evidence from Argentina’s Downturns," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 40(2), pages 303-314.
- Cruces, Guillermo & Gluzmann, Pablo & Lopez-Calva, Luis Felipe, 2011. "Economic Crises, Maternal and Infant Mortality, Low Birth Weight and Enrollment Rates: Evidence from Argentina’s Downturns," MPRA Paper 42936, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Cruces, Guillermo & Glüzmann, Pablo & López-Calva, Luis-Felipe, 2011. "Economic Crises, Maternal and Infant Mortality, Low Birth Weight and Enrollment Rates: Evidence from Argentina's Downturns," IZA Discussion Papers 6096, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Cheung, Chau-kiu & Ng, Sik Hung, 2012. "Impacts of financial crisis on social engagement in Hong Kong," Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics (formerly The Journal of Socio-Economics), Elsevier, vol. 41(5), pages 623-632.
- Takahiro Akita & Ni Made Inna Dariwardani, 2013. "Chronic and Transient Poverty in Indonesia: A Spatial Perspective with the 2008-2010 Susenas Panel Data," Working Papers EMS_2013_19, Research Institute, International University of Japan.
- Andy Sumner & Peter Edward, 2013. "From Low Income, High Poverty to High-Income, No Poverty? An Optimistic View of the Long-Run Evolution of Poverty in Indonesia By International Poverty Lines, 1984–2030," Working Papers in Economics and Development Studies (WoPEDS) 201310, Department of Economics, Padjadjaran University, revised Jun 2013.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Journals Division).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.