Human Capital, Gender and Organisation in Transition Agriculture: Measuring and Explaining the Technical Efficiency of Bulgarian and Hungarian Farms
AbstractBased on survey data on Bulgarian and Hungarian crop and dairy farms, a double-peaked distribution of technical efficiency is observed. Several factors explain differences in efficiency. Human capital matters not only through age and education but also through gender, as farms with a higher proportion of women are more efficient. Contracting with upstream processors increases efficiency through facilitating the adoption of technology and access to credits. The superiority of family farms over corporate farms is confirmed for crops but not for dairy produce.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Post-Communist Economies.
Volume (Year): 13 (2001)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/CPCE20
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Armen A. Alchian & Harold Demsetz, 1971.
"Production, Information Costs and Economic Organizations,"
UCLA Economics Working Papers
10A, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Alchian, Armen A & Demsetz, Harold, 1972. "Production , Information Costs, and Economic Organization," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 62(5), pages 777-95, December.
- Battese, G E & Coelli, T J, 1995. "A Model for Technical Inefficiency Effects in a Stochastic Frontier Production Function for Panel Data," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 20(2), pages 325-32.
- Kalirajan, K P, 1990. "On Measuring Economic Efficiency," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 5(1), pages 75-85, January-M.
- Deininger, Klaus, 1995. "Collective agricultural production: A solution for transition economies?," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 23(8), pages 1317-1334, August.
- Erik Mathijs & Johan F. M. Swinnen, 2001. "Production Organization And Efficiency During Transition: An Empirical Analysis Of East German Agriculture," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 83(1), pages 100-107, February.
- Pollak, Robert A, 1985. "A Transaction Cost Approach to Families and Households," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 23(2), pages 581-608, June.
- Chavas, Jean-Paul & Aliber, Michael, 1993. "An Analysis Of Economic Efficiency In Agriculture: A Nonparametric Approach," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 18(01), July.
- Sotnikov, Sergey, 1998. "Evaluating the Effects of Price and Trade Liberalisation on the Technical Efficiency of Agricultural Production in a Transition Economy: The Case of Russia," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 25(3), pages 412-31.
- Herdt, R W & Mandac, A M, 1981. "Modern Technology and Economic Efficiency of Philippine Rice Farmers," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 29(2), pages 375-99, January.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
- Allen, Douglas W & Lueck, Dean, 1998. "The Nature of the Farm," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 41(2), pages 343-86, October.
- Mathijs, Erik & Swinnen, Johan F M, 1998. "The Economics of Agricultural Decollectivization in East Central Europe and the Former Soviet Union," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 47(1), pages 1-26, October.
- Peter Walkenhorst, 2000. "Foreign Direct Investment, Technological Spillovers and the Agricultural Transition in Central Europe," Post-Communist Economies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(1), pages 61-75.
- Paul Wilson & Dave Hadley & Stephen Ramsden & Ioannis Kaltsas, 1998. "Measuring and Explaining Technical Efficiency in UK Potato Production," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 49(3), pages 294-305.
- Swinnen, Johan F.M. & Vranken, Liesbet, 2005.
"Reforms and Efficiency Change in Transition Agriculture,"
94th Seminar, April 9-10, 2005, Ashford, UK
24411, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Swinnen, Johan F.M. & Vranken, Liesbet, 2005. "Reforms and Efficiency Change in Transition Agriculture," 2005 International Congress, August 23-27, 2005, Copenhagen, Denmark 24707, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Swinnen, Johan F.M. & Vranken, Liesbet, 2004. "Reforms And Efficiency Change In Transition Agriculture," 2004 Annual meeting, August 1-4, Denver, CO 19962, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Liesbet Vranken & Karen Macours & Nivelin Noev & Johan Swinnen, 2007.
"Property Rights Imperfections, Asset Allocation, and Welfare: Co-Ownership in Bulgaria,"
LICOS Discussion Papers
18007, LICOS - Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance, KU Leuven.
- Vranken, Liesbet & Macours, Karen & Noev, Nivelin & Swinnen, Johan F.M., 2007. "Property Rights Imperfections, Asset Allocation, and Welfare: Co-Ownership in Bulgaria," 104th Seminar, September 5-8, 2007, Budapest, Hungary 7795, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Ferto, Imre & Fogarasi, Jozsef, 2005.
"The Choice of Farm Organisation. A Hungarian Case,"
94th Seminar, April 9-10, 2005, Ashford, UK
24420, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Bezemer, Dirk J., 2004. "Risk and agricultural de-collectivisation, with evidence from the Czech Republic," Economic Systems, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 13-33, March.
- Marotta, Giuseppe & Nazzaro, Concetta & Simeone, Mariarosaria, 2012. "Capitale umano e capitale sociale in agricoltura: un’analisi delle esperienze di filiera corta della Campania interna," 2012 XX Convegno Annuale SIEA, Siracusa 130551, Italian Society of Agri-food Economics/Società Italiana di Economia Agro-Alimentare (SIEA).
- Fogarasi, Jozsef & Latruffe, Laure, 2009.
"Farm performance and support in Central and Western Europe: A comparison of Hungary and France,"
2009 Conference, August 16-22, 2009, Beijing, China
51431, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Laure Latruffe & Jozsef Fogarasi, 2009. "Farm performance and support in Central and Western Europe: A comparison of Hungary and France," Working Papers SMART - LERECO 200907, INRA UMR SMART.
- Fogarasi, Jozsef & Latruffe, Laure, 2009. "Farm performance and support in Central and Western Europe: a comparison of Hungary and France," 83rd Annual Conference, March 30-April 1, 2009, Dublin, Ireland 51053, Agricultural Economics Society.
- Tanira T. Kingi & Tom F. Kompas, 2005. "Communal Land Ownership and Agricultural Development: Overcoming Technical Efficiency Constraints Among Fiji’s Indigenous Sugercane Growers," International and Development Economics Working Papers idec05-11, International and Development Economics.
- Aidis, Ruta & van Praag, Mirjam, 2007. "Illegal entrepreneurship experience: Does it make a difference for business performance and motivation?," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 283-310, March.
- Wyrwich, Michael, 2013. "Can socioeconomic heritage produce a lost generation with regard to entrepreneurship?," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 28(5), pages 667-682.
- Vranken, Liesbet & Mathijs, Erik, 2001. "The Allocative Efficiency Of Land Rental Markets In Transition Agriculture," 2001 Annual meeting, August 5-8, Chicago, IL 20728, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Curtiss, Jarmila & Medonos, Tomas & Ratinger, Tomas, 2005. "Ownership Form Effect on Large-Scale Farms' Performance: Case of Czech Agriculture," 94th Seminar, April 9-10, 2005, Ashford, UK 24435, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Vranken, Liesbet & Swinnen, Johan, 2006. "Land rental markets in transition: Theory and evidence from Hungary," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 481-500, March.
- Ruta Aidis & Mirjam van Praag, 2004. "Illegal Entrepreneurship Experience," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 04-105/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- Davidova, Sophia & Latruffe, Laure & Ratinger, Tomas, 2005. "Performance of Different Institutional Units in the Czech Republic and the Role of External Financing," 94th Seminar, April 9-10, 2005, Ashford, UK 24421, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Matthew Gorton & Barna Kovacs & Tamas Mizik & Sophia Davidova & Tomas Ratinger & Belen Iraizoz, 2003. "An Analysis of the Performance of Commercially Oriented Farms in Hungary," Post-Communist Economies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(3), pages 401-416.
- Mathijs, Erik & Noev, Nivelin, 2002. "Commercialization and Subsistence in Transaction Agriculture: Empirical Evidence from Albania, Bulgaria, Hungary and Romania," 2002 International Congress, August 28-31, 2002, Zaragoza, Spain 24786, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.