Farm Restructuring And Efficiency In Transition: Evidence From Bulgaria And Hungary
AbstractBased on survey data on Bulgarian and Hungarian crop and dairy farms, a double-peaked distribution of technical efficiency is observed. Several factors explain differences in efficiency. Human capital matters not only through age and education, but also through gender as farms with a higher share of women are more efficient. Contracting with upstream processors increased efficiency through facilitating the adoption of technology and the access to credits. The superiority of family farms over corporate farms is confirmed for crops but not for dairy.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association) in its series 2000 Annual meeting, July 30-August 2, Tampa, FL with number 21886.
Date of creation: 2000
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
Eastern Europe; Bulgaria; Hungary; technical efficiency; land tenure; governance; Agribusiness; Farm Management; Productivity Analysis;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gow, Hamish R & Swinnen, Johan F M, 1998. "Up- and Downstream Restructuring, Foreign Direct Investment, and Hold-Up Problems in Agricultural Transition," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 25(3), pages 331-50.
- Mathijs, Erik & Swinnen, Johan F M, 1998. "The Economics of Agricultural Decollectivization in East Central Europe and the Former Soviet Union," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 47(1), pages 1-26, October.
- Erik Mathijs & Johan F. M. Swinnen, 2001. "Production Organization And Efficiency During Transition: An Empirical Analysis Of East German Agriculture," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 83(1), pages 100-107, February.
- Allen, Douglas W & Lueck, Dean, 1998. "The Nature of the Farm," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 41(2), pages 343-86, October.
- Sotnikov, Sergey, 1998. "Evaluating the Effects of Price and Trade Liberalisation on the Technical Efficiency of Agricultural Production in a Transition Economy: The Case of Russia," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 25(3), pages 412-31.
- Sedik, David & Trueblood, Michael & Arnade, Carlos, 1999. "Corporate Farm Performance in Russia, 1991-1995: An Efficiency Analysis," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(3), pages 514-533, September.
- Fernandez, Javier, 2002. "The Common Agricultural Policy and EU Enlargement: Implications for Agricultural Production in the Central and Eastern European Countries," 2002 International Congress, August 28-31, 2002, Zaragoza, Spain 24945, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Andrea BONFIGLIO, 2006. "Efficiency and Productivity Changes of the Italian Agrifood Cooperatives: a Malmquist Index Analysis," Working Papers 250, Universita' Politecnica delle Marche (I), Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Sociali.
- Latruffe, Laure & Balcombe, Kelvin George & Davidova, Sophia & Zawalinska, Katarzyna, 2003. "Technical Efficiency Of Polish Farms: Estimation According To Specialisation And Lessons From Confidence Intervals," 2003 Annual Meeting, August 16-22, 2003, Durban, South Africa 25894, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Lissitsa, Alexej & Odening, Martin, 2001. "Effizienz und totale Faktor-produktivitat in der ukrainischen Landwirtschaft im Transformationsprozess," Working Paper Series 7391, Humboldt University Berlin, Department Agricultural Economics.
- Bozoglu, Mehmet & Ceyhan, Vedat, 2007. "Measuring the technical efficiency and exploring the inefficiency determinants of vegetable farms in Samsun province, Turkey," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 94(3), pages 649-656, June.
- Gorton, Matthew & Davidova, Sophia, 2004. "Farm productivity and efficiency in the CEE applicant countries: a synthesis of results," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 30(1), pages 1-16, January.
- Fogarasi, Jozsef, 2007. "Efficiency and total factor productivity in post-EU accession Hungarian sugar beet production," Studies in Agricultural Economics, Research Institute for Agricultural Economics, issue 105, January.
- Davidova, Sophia & Gorton, Matthew & Ratinger, Tomas & Zawalinska, Katarzyna & Iraizoz, Belen & Kovacs, Barna & Mizo, Tamas, 2002. "Variations in Farm Performance: Evidence from the CEECs and Existing EU Member States," 2002 International Congress, August 28-31, 2002, Zaragoza, Spain 24906, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.