Investor reaction to IMF actions in the indonesian financial crisis
AbstractMany observers have criticized recent IMF actions and program announcements during the Asian crisis by arguing that the IMF's declaration that Asia needed drastic reforms with respect to institutional issues such as transparency, corporate governance and corruption has led investors to panic and withdraw from the region. We examine the reaction of investors in the Indonesian stock market to IMF news. Evidence indicates that IMF actions and program announcements are associated with a decline in market uncertainty. Hence, our finding does not appear to support the panic view. Policy implications of the findings are also discussed.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Journal of Economic Policy Reform.
Volume (Year): 6 (2003)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/GPRE19
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hal Hill, 1999.
"Indonesia : The Strange and Sudden Death of a Tiger Economy,"
UP School of Economics Discussion Papers
199913, University of the Philippines School of Economics.
- Hal Hill, 2000. "Indonesia: The Strange and Sudden Death of a Tiger Economy," Oxford Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 28(2), pages 117-139.
- Andrew Berg, 1999. "The Asia Crisis," IMF Working Papers 99/138, International Monetary Fund.
- Kaminsky, Graciela L. & Schmukler, Sergio L., 1999.
"What triggers market jitters? A chronicle of the Asian crisis,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2094, The World Bank.
- Kaminsky, Graciela L. & Schmukler, Sergio L., 1999. "What triggers market jitters?: A chronicle of the Asian crisis," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 537-560, August.
- Graciela L. Kaminsky & Sergio L. Schmukler, 1999. "What triggers market jitters: a chronicle of the Asian crisis," International Finance Discussion Papers 634, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Hayo, Bernd & Shin, Doh Chull, 2002.
"Popular reaction to the intervention by the IMF in the Korean economic crisis,"
121, University of Duisburg-Essen, Faculty for Economics and Business Administration.
- Bernd Hayo & Doh Chull Shin, 2002. "Popular Reaction to the Intervention by the IMF in the Korean Economic Crisis," Journal of Economic Policy Reform, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 5(2), pages 89-100.
- Bernd Hayo & Doh Chull Shin, 2002. "Popular Reaction to the Intervention by the IMF in the Korean Economic Crisis," Development and Comp Systems 0204001, EconWPA.
- Kho, Bong-Chan & Stulz, Rene M., 2000.
"Banks, the IMF, and the Asian crisis,"
Pacific-Basin Finance Journal,
Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 177-216, May.
- Jeffrey D. Sachs, 1999. "Creditor Panics: Causes and Remedies," Cato Journal, Cato Journal, Cato Institute, vol. 18(3), pages 377-390, Winter.
- Bollerslev, Tim & Chou, Ray Y. & Kroner, Kenneth F., 1992. "ARCH modeling in finance : A review of the theory and empirical evidence," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 52(1-2), pages 5-59.
- Kutan, Ali M. & Muradoglu, Gulnur & Sudjana, Brasukra G., 2012. "IMF programs, financial and real sector performance, and the Asian crisis," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 36(1), pages 164-182.
- Evrensel, Ayse Y. & Kutan, Ali M., 2008. "Impact of IMF-related news on capital markets: Further evidence from bond spreads in Indonesia and Korea," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 147-160, April.
- Evrensel, Ayse & Kutan, Ali M., 2008. "How do IMF announcements affect financial markets in crises?: Evidence from forward exchange markets," Journal of Financial Stability, Elsevier, vol. 4(2), pages 121-134, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.