Investor reaction to IMF actions in the indonesian financial crisis
AbstractMany observers have criticized recent IMF actions and program announcements during the Asian crisis by arguing that the IMF's declaration that Asia needed drastic reforms with respect to institutional issues such as transparency, corporate governance and corruption has led investors to panic and withdraw from the region. We examine the reaction of investors in the Indonesian stock market to IMF news. Evidence indicates that IMF actions and program announcements are associated with a decline in market uncertainty. Hence, our finding does not appear to support the panic view. Policy implications of the findings are also discussed.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Journal of Economic Policy Reform.
Volume (Year): 6 (2003)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/GPRE19
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kaminsky, Graciela L. & Schmukler, Sergio L., 1999.
"What triggers market jitters? A chronicle of the Asian crisis,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2094, The World Bank.
- Kaminsky, Graciela L. & Schmukler, Sergio L., 1999. "What triggers market jitters?: A chronicle of the Asian crisis," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 537-560, August.
- Graciela L. Kaminsky & Sergio L. Schmukler, 1999. "What triggers market jitters: a chronicle of the Asian crisis," International Finance Discussion Papers 634, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Bong-Chan Kho & Rene M. Stulz, 1999.
"Banks, the IMF, and the Asian Crisis,"
NBER Working Papers
7361, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hal Hill, 2000.
"Indonesia: The Strange and Sudden Death of a Tiger Economy,"
Oxford Development Studies,
Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 28(2), pages 117-139.
- Hal Hill, 1999. "Indonesia : The Strange and Sudden Death of a Tiger Economy," UP School of Economics Discussion Papers 199913, University of the Philippines School of Economics.
- Hayo, Bernd & Shin, Doh Chull, 2002.
"Popular reaction to the intervention by the IMF in the Korean economic crisis,"
121, University of Duisburg-Essen, Faculty for Economics and Business Administration.
- Bernd Hayo & Doh Chull Shin, 2002. "Popular Reaction to the Intervention by the IMF in the Korean Economic Crisis," Journal of Economic Policy Reform, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 5(2), pages 89-100.
- Bernd Hayo & Doh Chull Shin, 2002. "Popular Reaction to the Intervention by the IMF in the Korean Economic Crisis," Development and Comp Systems 0204001, EconWPA.
- Bollerslev, Tim & Chou, Ray Y. & Kroner, Kenneth F., 1992. "ARCH modeling in finance : A review of the theory and empirical evidence," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 52(1-2), pages 5-59.
- Andrew Berg, 1999. "The Asia Crisis - Causes, Policy Responses and Outcomes," IMF Working Papers 99/138, International Monetary Fund.
- Evrensel, Ayse Y. & Kutan, Ali M., 2008. "Impact of IMF-related news on capital markets: Further evidence from bond spreads in Indonesia and Korea," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 147-160, April.
- Evrensel, Ayse & Kutan, Ali M., 2008. "How do IMF announcements affect financial markets in crises?: Evidence from forward exchange markets," Journal of Financial Stability, Elsevier, vol. 4(2), pages 121-134, June.
- Kutan, Ali M. & Muradoglu, Gulnur & Sudjana, Brasukra G., 2012. "IMF programs, financial and real sector performance, and the Asian crisis," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 36(1), pages 164-182.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.