Popular reaction to the intervention by the IMF in the Korean economic crisis
AbstractThe International Monetary Fund (IMF) has played an important role in restructuring the Korean economy over the past three years. Relying upon survey data collected in 1998 and 1999, this paper explores the role of the IMF in Korea, as perceived by its citizens. In the eyes of the Korean people, the IMF helped their economy to recover from the crisis. However, those Koreans who experience a decline in their income, are critical of the IMF intervention in their economy. Finally, our analysis of the public attitude data reveals that the pro-IMF orientations among the Korean people have little to do with their support for a market-oriented reform program. --
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Duisburg-Essen, Faculty for Economics and Business Administration in its series IBES Diskussionsbeiträge with number 121.
Date of creation: 2002
Date of revision:
IMF; Korea; policy reform; financial crisis; public opinion;
Other versions of this item:
- Bernd Hayo & Doh Chull Shin, 2002. "Popular Reaction to the Intervention by the IMF in the Korean Economic Crisis," Journal of Economic Policy Reform, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 5(2), pages 89-100.
- Bernd Hayo & Doh Chull Shin, 2002. "Popular Reaction to the Intervention by the IMF in the Korean Economic Crisis," Development and Comp Systems 0204001, EconWPA.
- O5 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economywide Country Studies
- F3 - International Economics - - International Finance
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- JongWha Lee & Changyong Rhee, 2000.
"Macroeconomic Impacts of the Korean Financial Crisis: Comparison with the Crosscountry Patterns,"
RCER Working Papers
471, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Jong-Wha Lee & Changyong Rhee, 2002. "Macroeconomic Impacts of the Korean Financial Crisis: Comparison with the Cross-country Patterns," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 25(4), pages 539-562, 04.
- Chang, Ha-Joon, 1998. "Korea: The misunderstood crisis," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 26(8), pages 1555-1561, August.
- International Monetary Fund, 1998. "Do IMF-Supported Programs Work? a Survey of the Cross-Country Empirical Evidence," IMF Working Papers 98/169, International Monetary Fund.
- John Williamson, 1994. "The Political Economy of Policy Reform," Peterson Institute Press: All Books, Peterson Institute for International Economics, number 68.
- Chang, Ha-Joon & Park, Hong-Jae & Yoo, Chul Gyue, 1998. "Interpreting the Korean Crisis: Financial Liberalisation, Industrial Policy and Corporate Governance," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 22(6), pages 735-46, November.
- Hayo, Bernd, 1999.
"Knowledge and Attitude Towards European Monetary Union,"
Journal of Policy Modeling,
Elsevier, vol. 21(5), pages 641-651, September.
- Bernd Hayo, 1998. "Knowledge and Attitude Towards European Monetary Union," Macroeconomics 9810001, EconWPA.
- Taylor, Lance, 1998. "Capital Market Crises: Liberalisation, Fixed Exchange Rates and Market-Driven Destabilisation," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 22(6), pages 663-76, November.
- White, Halbert, 1980. "A Heteroskedasticity-Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimator and a Direct Test for Heteroskedasticity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(4), pages 817-38, May.
- Martin Edwards, 2009. "Public support for the international economic organizations: Evidence from developing countries," The Review of International Organizations, Springer, vol. 4(2), pages 185-209, June.
- Greß, Stefan, 2004. "Competition in Social Health Insurance: A Three-Country Comparison," IBES DiskussionsbeitrÃ¤ge 135, University of Duisburg-Essen, Faculty for Economics and Business Administration.
- Bernd Hayo, 2005.
"Mass Attidudes Toward Financial Crisis and Economic Reform in Korea,"
Marburg Working Papers on Economics
200504, Philipps-Universität Marburg, Faculty of Business Administration and Economics, Department of Economics (Volkswirtschaftliche Abteilung).
- Bernd Hayo & Doh Shin, 2002. "Mass Attitudes Toward Financial Crisis and Economic Reform in Korea," Development and Comp Systems 0205003, EconWPA.
- Ali Kutan & Brasukra Sudjana, 2003. "Investor reaction to IMF actions in the indonesian financial crisis," Journal of Economic Policy Reform, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 6(3), pages 181-190.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.