Manufactured Exports, Capital Good Imports, and Economic Growth: Experience of Mexico and Brazil
AbstractThis paper examines the export-led growth hypothesis using data from two Latin American countries, Mexico and Brazil, in a production function framework. It addresses some of the limitations of existing methods of testing the hypothesis. Contrary to popular belief, we do not find any evidence to support the hypothesis. Imported capital goods appear to be very significant in the growth process of these two countries. To check the robustness of the results, this study uses two different cointegrating procedures to determine the number of cointegrating vectors, and three different methods to estimate the parameters of the long-run relations. The results are robust across estimation techniques. [F43, F14, O47, O54]
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal International Economic Journal.
Volume (Year): 17 (2003)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RIEJ20
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:cup:etheor:v:11:y:1995:i:5:p:1131-47 is not listed on IDEAS
- Luis A. Rivera-Batiz & Paul M. Romer, 1990.
"Economic Integration and Endogenous Growth,"
NBER Working Papers
3528, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Tyler, William G., 1981. "Growth and export expansion in developing countries : Some empirical evidence," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 121-130, August.
- Haug, Alfred A., 1996.
"Tests for cointegration a Monte Carlo comparison,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 71(1-2), pages 89-115.
- Gregory, Allan W, 1994.
"Testing for Cointegration in Linear Quadratic Models,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 12(3), pages 347-60, July.
- Allan W. Gregory, 1991. "Testing for Cointegration in Linear Quadratic Models," Working Papers 811, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Zellner, A., 1988.
"Causality And Causal Laws In Economics,"
m8801, Southern California - Department of Economics.
- Serletis, Apostolos, 1992. "Export growth and Canadian economic development," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(1), pages 133-145, January.
- Hansen, Bruce E, 2002.
"Tests for Parameter Instability in Regressions with I(1) Processes,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 20(1), pages 45-59, January.
- Hansen, Bruce E, 1992. "Tests for Parameter Instability in Regressions with I(1) Processes," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 10(3), pages 321-35, July.
- Cavanagh, Christopher L. & Elliott, Graham & Stock, James H., 1995. "Inference in Models with Nearly Integrated Regressors," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 11(05), pages 1131-1147, October.
- Blomström, Magnus & Lipsey, Robert E & Zejan, Mario, 1993.
"Is Fixed Investment the Key to Economic Growth?,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
870, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Levine, Ross & Renelt, David, 1991.
"A sensitivity analysis of cross-country growth regressions,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
609, The World Bank.
- Levine, Ross & Renelt, David, 1992. "A Sensitivity Analysis of Cross-Country Growth Regressions," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 82(4), pages 942-63, September.
- Toda, Hiro Y, 1994. "Finite Sample Properties of Likelihood Ratio Tests for Cointegrating Ranks when Linear Trends are Present," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 76(1), pages 66-79, February.
- Grossman, Gene M & Helpman, Elhanan, 1991.
"Quality Ladders and Product Cycles,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 106(2), pages 557-86, May.
- Grossman, G.M. & Helpman, E., 1989. "Quality Ladders And Product Cycles," Papers 39-89, Tel Aviv.
- Grossman, G.M. & Helpman, E., 1989. "Quality Ladders And Product Cycles," Papers 152, Princeton, Woodrow Wilson School - Public and International Affairs.
- Gene M. Grossman & Elhanan Helpman, 1989. "Quality Ladders and Product Cycles," NBER Working Papers 3201, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Campbell, John & Perron, Pierre, 1991.
"Pitfalls and Opportunities: What Macroeconomists Should Know about Unit Roots,"
3374863, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- John Y. Campbell & Pierre Perron, 1991. "Pitfalls and Opportunities: What Macroeconomists Should Know About Unit Roots," NBER Chapters, in: NBER Macroeconomics Annual 1991, Volume 6, pages 141-220 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- John Y. Campbell & Pierre Perron, 1991. "Pitfalls and Opportunities: What Macroeconomists Should Know About Unit Roots," NBER Technical Working Papers 0100, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Campbell, J.Y. & Perron, P., 1991. "Pitfalls and Opportunities: What Macroeconomics should know about unit roots," Papers 360, Princeton, Department of Economics - Econometric Research Program.
- Jong-Wha Lee, 1994.
"Capital Goods Imports and Long-Run Growth,"
NBER Working Papers
4725, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rodney L. Jacobs & Edward E. Leamer & Michael P. Ward, 1978.
"Difficulties with Testing for Causation,"
UCLA Economics Working Papers
117, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Ahmad, Jaleel & Kwan, Andy C. C., 1991. "Causality between exports and economic growth : Empirical evidence from Africa," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 243-248, November.
- T. Chang & W. Fang & W. Liu & Thompson Henry, 2000. "Exports, Imports and Income in Taiwan: An Examination of the Export Led Growth Hypothesis," International Economic Journal, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(2), pages 151-160.
- Alwyn Young, 1992. "A Tale of Two Cities: Factor Accumulation and Technical Change in Hong Kong and Singapore," NBER Chapters, in: NBER Macroeconomics Annual 1992, Volume 7, pages 13-64 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Pesaran, M.H. & Shin, Y., 1995. "An Autoregressive Distributed Lag Modelling Approach to Cointegration Analysis," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 9514, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Cheung, Yin-Wong & Lai, Kon S, 1993. "Finite-Sample Sizes of Johansen's Likelihood Ration Tests for Conintegration," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 55(3), pages 313-28, August.
- Lucas, Robert Jr., 1988. "On the mechanics of economic development," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 3-42, July.
- Emine KILAVUZ & Betül ALTAY TOPCU, 2012. "Export and Economic Growth in the Case of the Manufacturing Industry: Panel Data Analysis of Developing Countries," International Journal of Economics and Financial Issues, Econjournals, vol. 2(2), pages 201-215.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.