Trade, Foreign Investment, and Industrial Policy
AbstractDuring the last three decades, developing countries have made enormous strides in opening up their protected domestic markets to international trade and foreign investment. Yet most countries have not simply opened up their markets. They have also instituted a range of policies to encourage exports, attract foreign direct investment(FDI), promote innovation, and favor some industries over others. This leads to the following question: is openness to trade and FDI alone sufficient to achieve high growth rates in developing countries? If harnessing the gains from globalization requires additional policies, can we identify them? While some types of complementary policies, such as building roads and ports, are not controversial, others are. Bhagwati's suggestion to "attract foreign funds" implies tilting incentives in favor of foreign investors, which means abandoning policy neutrality. Our goal in this chapter is to explore the popular but controversial idea that developing countries benefit from abandoning policy neutrality vis-a-vis trade, FDI and resource allocation across industries.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 15561.
Date of creation: 2009
Date of revision:
Trade; Foreign Investment; Industrial Policy; Developing Countries;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- O25 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Development Planning and Policy - - - Industrial Policy
- F1 - International Economics - - Trade
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Marcela Melendez & Guillermo Perry, 2010.
"Industrial Policies in Colombia,"
Research Department Publications
4669, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Silvio Contessi, 2010. "What happens when Wal-Mart comes to your country? multinational firms' entry, productivity, and inefficiency," Working Papers 2010-043, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Luosha Du & Ann Harrison & Gary Jefferson, 2011.
"Do Institutions Matter for FDI Spillovers? The Implications of China’s “Special Characteristics”,"
33, Brandeis University, Department of Economics and International Businesss School, revised Sep 2012.
- Luosha Du & Ann Harrison & Gary Jefferson, 2011. "Do Institutions Matter for FDI Spillovers? The Implications of China's "Special Characteristics"," NBER Working Papers 16767, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Du, Luosha & Harrison, Ann & Jefferson, Gary, 2011. "Do institutions matter for FDI spillovers ? the implications of China's"special characteristics"," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5757, The World Bank.
- Ju, Jiandong & Lin, Justin Yifu & Wang, Yong, 2011. "Marshallian externality, industrial upgrading, and industrial policies," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5796, The World Bank.
- Marcel SchrÃ¶der, 2013. "Should developing countries undervalue their currencies?," Departmental Working Papers 2013-12, The Australian National University, Arndt-Corden Department of Economics.
- Cadot, Olivier & Fernandes, Ana & Gourdon, Julien & Mattoo, Aaditya, 2011.
"Impact Evaluation of Trade Interventions: Paving the Way,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
8638, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Cadot, Olivier & Fernandes, Ana M. & Gourdon, Julien & Mattoo, Aaditya, 2011. "Impact evaluation of trade interventions : paving the way," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5877, The World Bank.
- Van Biesebroeck, Jo & Yu, Emily & Chen, Shenjie, 2011.
"The impact of trade promotion services on Canadian exporter performance,"
Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven
urn:hdl:123456789/318020, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
- Van Biesebroeck, Jo & Yu, Emily & Chen, Shenjie, 2010. "The impact of trade promotion services on Canadian exporter performance," Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven urn:hdl:123456789/267252, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
- Johannes VAN BIESEBROECK & Emily YU & Shenjie CHEN, 2010. "The impact of trade promotion services on Canadian exporter performance," Center for Economic Studies - Discussion papers ces10.14, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Centrum voor Economische Studiën.
- Jo VAN BIESEBROECK & Emily YU & Shenjie CHEN, 2011. "The impact of trade promotion services on Canadian exporter performance," Center for Economic Studies - Discussion papers ces11.21, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Centrum voor Economische Studiën.
- Chen, Shenjie & Van Biesebroeck, Johannes & Yu, Emily, 2011. "The Impact of Trade Promotion Services on Canadian Exporter Performance," CEPR Discussion Papers 8597, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Laura Alfaro & Anusha Chari, 2009.
"India Transformed? Insights from the Firm Level 1988-2005,"
NBER Working Papers
15448, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Laura Alfaro & Anusha Chari, 2009. "India Transformed? Insights from the Firm Level 1988-2005," Harvard Business School Working Papers 10-030, Harvard Business School.
- Stéphane Hallegatte & Geoffrey Heal & Marianne Fay & David Treguer, 2012.
"From Growth to Green Growth - a Framework,"
NBER Working Papers
17841, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lan, Xiaohuan & Li, Ben, 2011. "Nationalism and international trade: theory and evidence," MPRA Paper 36412, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 03 Feb 2012.
- Monga, Celestin, 2011. "Cluster-based industrial parks : a practical framework for action," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5900, The World Bank.
- Carlo Pietrobelli & Claudia Stevenson, 2011. "Cluster Development Programs in Latin America and the Caribbean: Lessons from the Experience of the Inter-American Development Bank," IDB Publications 53638, Inter-American Development Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.